Alabama's HC choices between Bear Bryant and Nick Saban - who else were considered?

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Mal flew from Tampa to Pullman to pick up Mike Price. Was in Tampa to pick up Jim Leavitt. Don't know what happened there, but the next thing we knew the plane was in the air headed to Pullman.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Correct. I was still at Bama at the time; Joab (no relation) was looking to chance Bama's image, and the Curry hire was part of that.

And yes, Curry's players were terrible in the classroom. I taught a highly recruited player in a freshman composition course, and he was hopeless. Every time he came in for a conference, an AD rep accompanied him and did almost all of the talking. Ended up transferring, IIRC.

Curry was a good administrative head coach in that he hired good assistants and for the most part stayed out of their way. But he was hopeless as a gameday coach.

I was a senior in HS when we hired Curry.

Our guidance counselor was an Alabama grad. I worked in the office, so I saw her virtually every day, and we talked Tide football most of the time.

The day after Curry got hired (hired Jan 5, so this was on Tuesday, Jan 6, 1987), I ran into her and all she said was, "I'm gonna have to talk to Joab about this. I don't know what he thinks he's doing."

The next night, I went to Wed night prayer service and ran into a guy who ran the Royal Ambassadors, a guy from north Georgia. I'm rolling my eyes about the Curry thing, and he takes up for him, saying that Alabama needs to get past the whole Bryant thing and that Curry will keep us off probation, improve academics, and go 9-3 every year. Then he said that we could go hire Charley Pell, field a national championship level team that comes up short and wind up on probation.

The fact those weren't the only two choices didn't seem to register with him. Pell's name wasn't part of the discussion, although I obviously knew what the guy meant.

Perkins leaves, and I'm thinking, "Bobby Bowden!" who, of course, wasn't quite the stud he became later that same year.

Side note: Curry went and talked to UK while still our coach. Lou Holtz of all people said that Curry had no choice at that point but to leave because you don't go shack up with a new girlfriend over the weekend and then tell the model wife you're cheating on that you'll be back home Monday morning.

Quite frankly, I've always thought that Bill Curry would be much better thought of by Alabama fans if he would just let it go in his mind. He DID win an SEC title here, so far as we know he wasn't straying from his marriage, and despite being in over his head, he was winning some games. The generations of fans AFTER he left would think nothing bad about him, and those of us who recall him soften over time as things play out and we see the bigger picture. But Curry - who, YES, we have to admit WAS mistreated by some of the vocal nuts in the fan base - let his edge come out time and again when calling some of our games, and his comment about the Alabama mafia the day we hired Saban was so far across the line of nonsense that I have an easier time applauding Mike DuBose when we honor the 73 champs than I do thinking positive about Curry.

He DID sort of take our side on radio when fRan left, I'll give him that.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Thank you for setting me straight NT17. Not sure why I thought he did. I looked it up and he went to Georgia Tech.
Curry did play for Bryant. In the 1965 College All Star game played in August with the '64 seniors. Story is that Curry was one of the few, if not only, players from the South and that Bryant took him "under his wing".

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Someone could, and probably will, write a book about all of these Alabama coaching searches that have bedeviled the fan base since CPB's retirement. I think the hiring of Steve Sloan as AD when Curry was hired as HC, was an olive branch to the PTB and fans who were not happy with Curry. IIRC, Hootie Ingam had been AD at FSU and may have been hired to try and lure Bowden after the Curry fiasco. This is pure speculation on my part. Stallings had some issues with the NCAA in his last couple of years as HC and, when Hootie resigned and Bockrath came in it was the end of Stallings. Bockrath then made the worst hire possible by promoting Dubose. Next in line was Mal Moore, who in my opinion, botched both the Franchione and Price hires, but more than redeemed himself with the Saban hire. We pretty much went through ADs like we did HCs after Coach Bryant's death.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Someone could, and probably will, write a book about all of these Alabama coaching searches that have bedeviled the fan base since CPB's retirement. I think the hiring of Steve Sloan as AD when Curry was hired as HC, was an olive branch to the PTB and fans who were not happy with Curry. IIRC, Hootie Ingam had been AD at FSU and may have been hired to try and lure Bowden after the Curry fiasco. This is pure speculation on my part. Stallings had some issues with the NCAA in his last couple of years as HC and, when Hootie resigned and Bockrath came in it was the end of Stallings. Bockrath then made the worst hire possible by promoting Dubose. Next in line was Mal Moore, who in my opinion, botched both the Franchione and Price hires, but more than redeemed himself with the Saban hire. We pretty much went through ADs like we did HCs after Coach Bryant's death.
You're correct on Hootie.

He was hired to lure Bowden and.....well....

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Honestly I think Shula was the right decision mostly because he was the only one that couldve taken the prospect of failure best. Granted he nearly messed up and won a National Championship in 2005, but thank God he didnt. I think had we gotten a real coach like Couglin then we probably wouldve had a really good 2005 and 2006 season that wouldve made it extremely difficult to fire him after the main sanctions had passed. Croom would've been much of the same as Shula coaching wise, but the political issues associated with firing him would've been horrible.
Prothro or no prothro I highly doubt we could have hung with USC or texas that year.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Even before Kirby Smart's less than unsavory side really started to show itself at Georgia. I was never crazy about the idea of him becoming The heir apparent to saban. Call me gun shy but growing up with Shula and Dubose has caused me to always prefer a coach that had previous head coaching experience. Even before I really learned anything about Saban (my memories of him at LSU were very vague) I was on board because he at least had a lot of head coaching experience.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Ray Perkins was pretty much considered to be Bryant's personal choice.

Bobby Bowden was supposed to get the job when we hired Bill Curry. He showed up expecting to be announced coach - and they interviewed him, which he didn't want to do. The other leading candidates that I find listed (or can recall) were Danny Ford (Clemson), Jackie Sherrill (ATM), Jim Fuller, and Steve Sloan.

When Curry left, the big names were Stallings, Schnellenberger, Ford, Bowden, and FSU DC Mickey Andrews (it was when FSU got wind that we wanted him that they offered him the "lifetime contract"

When Dubious left, the names besides Franchione were Butch Davis (who allegedly had said he would), Frank Beamer, Tommy Bowden, and 1-2 others.

When Franchione left, there was no limit to the names that came up. Mike Riley, Walt Hazzard, Tom Coughlin, Mike Price, Les Miles, Carl Torbush, and even Bill Parcells.

Of course, I personally think we missed out when we got Saban over the high quality nonsense of Paul Johnson (aka D A Baxter)
Might that have been Walt Harris, hc at Pitt? Hazzard was a round ball guy.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We should have a rule on here that anytime Bill Curry's name is mentioned it be followed by a puking emoji.
Yesterday, I watched the Kentucky game for my 1989 write-up.

UK DID have a very good defense that year. In fact, they held Auburn and Vandy both to fewer points than we did, and they only gave up one more point to the Vols than we did. And our other common opponent, LSU, got 21 on them and 16 on us.

So they had a very good defense, they just didn't really have an offense worth a flip. (In their six wins, they scored 15 points or fewer three times, and they were 15 or below in six of eleven games).

But they were kept in the game by Curry's often times mind-boggling play calling and decision making as well as some just plain undisciplined stupidity (not as bad as the Dubious era but still bad). Our only TD of the game came on the very first drive after Dunn went out with his knee injury and Gary Hollingsworth - who had thrown only one career pass in CFB - drove us 69 yards for a TD.

The game was "all but over" at that point except we did some insanely dumb things - including letting UK block a punt right after we'd tried to short punt them instead of going for a fourth and short - and only put them 11 yards back up the field.

Curry was 9-5 in one-score games (8 points or less), and oversaw the following:
-two one-score wins over Vandy in three years (one where we led, 20-0, and won, 20-14)
- a loss to Memphis St
- a win over MSU where we scored the winning TD in the final seconds
- a 37-6 blowout loss to Notre Dame
- a win over Kentucky on the last play after trailing 17-0
- a loss to Ole Miss in a game we led, 12-0, in the 2nd half and which is technically a one score game as OM scored the "make it look impressive" TD very late
- a struggling 8-point win over an 0-5 Tennessee that LSU, Auburn, and Wazzu had already blown off the field
- a loss to LSU on a last second missed FG after blowing a 15-3 lead
- a narrow, one-point win over an Army team that required Derrick Thomas's heroics
- a 7-point win over a lackluster ULL team
- a win over Penn St that saw horrible decision-making and depended entirely on Blair Thomas' knee going down and Paterno opting for the field goal that was blocked

The problem is not with ANY of these games; it's with ALL of them. Stallings had a narrow win over Memphis, a couple of narrow wins over Vandy, and some close calls - but he also had 31 games in a row unbeaten, too.

In all sincerity - without the talent that he had nothing to do with acquiring, Curry likely has a DuBosian as Alabama coach. Sure, he was 26-10 (and some pundits like to say he had a better record in his three years than Bryant did, which is laughable given that Curry inherited a 10-3 top ten team and Bryant inherited a disaster), but he very easily could have been 18-16 with ONE bowl game and two 5-6 seasons without the talent gap.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Curry and Franchione may actually be one and the same person: incredibly arrogant, incredibly insecure, couldn't deal with pressure, left for "greener/bluer pastures" at lesser schools (A&M is/was a wannabe KY is/was a never-will-be) where they failed and then disappeared into the ether. Both lost some bad games in must-win situations. Both bad-mouthed the PTB at Bama. Neither will ever be mentioned on a greatest coach list. At least DuBose loved Alabama football. He couldn't coach'em up here but his love was unquestioned. Of course he loved it so much he nearly killed it.

My interpretation for the moral of this story when the time comes: Don't hire guys who can't win, who can't handle pressure, who think more of themselves than the University, who haven't accomplished anything as a HC at a Top 10 school prior to being pursued by Bama, who are cowardly in how they handle their departure. The standard should not be lowered. There's also a corollary for who are the UA president & UA AD at the time, as well.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Curry and Franchione may actually be one and the same person: incredibly arrogant, incredibly insecure, couldn't deal with pressure, left for "greener/bluer pastures" at lesser schools (A&M is/was a wannabe KY is/was a never-will-be) where they failed and then disappeared into the ether. Both lost some bad games in must-win situations. Both bad-mouthed the PTB at Bama. Neither will ever be mentioned on a greatest coach list. At least DuBose loved Alabama football. He couldn't coach'em up here but his love was unquestioned. Of course he loved it so much he nearly killed it.

My interpretation for the moral of this story when the time comes: Don't hire guys who can't win, who can't handle pressure, who think more of themselves than the University, who haven't accomplished anything as a HC at a Top 10 school prior to being pursued by Bama, who are cowardly in how they handle their departure. The standard should not be lowered. There's also a corollary for who are the UA president & UA AD at the time, as well.
Never heard Curry and fRAN compared before but you nailed it. The overriding feature is their insecurity. It's a sad, pathetic thing to watch. Insecure people should not be in leadership positions in any arena.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I will never be convinced that Mal could not have found a better coach than Franchione. He and his lackey, Mike McKenzie, were con men who leveraged a couple of good seasons at TCU (not the TCU of the last 15+ years BTW) into the HC at Alabama. Granted we were on the cusp of the NCAA sanctions, but Mal could have hired a decent HC with or without ties to Alabama. I have often wondered who influenced his decision to hire Franchione. Oh, well at least we had Fridays with Fran and Kim's Corner.

Last edited:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I will never be convinced that Mal could not have found a better coach than Franchione. He and his lackey, Mike McKenzie, were con men who leveraged a couple of good seasons at TCU (not the TCU of the last 15+ years BTW) into the HC at Alabama. Granted we were on the cusp of the NCAA sanctions, but Mal could have hired a decent HC with or without ties to Alabama. I have often wondered who influenced his decision to hire Franchione. Oh, well at least we had Fridays with Fran and Kim's Corner.
Well, at least we don't have to worry about holding the rope anymore

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Of the missteps pre Saban that Mal did, I don’t think hiring Fran ranks very high on the list. Not firing Dubose after the La Tech game in 1999 was far worse than hiring Fran.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.