PAC-12 exploring 9am kickoffs

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
You, in georgia, would be watching at noon-ish,you know...

It's a great move IMO.

I really like several PAC12 teams, because of tradition : USC, Washington, Stanford, UCLA.

I hope they move to earlier, I'll watch.
Just think how early the players would have to get up in the morning for a 9am kick.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I just can't wait for that 9am PT / noon ET Arizona - Colorado kickoff!

Bad football early in the day!

9am: "Where Champions [of Olympic Sports] Play!"

I guess the upside is their "good games" may be on at the same time as the undesirable SEC games.

Last edited:

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Or let the PAC play all it games on Sunday, better than watching the NFL.
This is a far better idea for the PAC-12 than having 9AM PST kickoff times. However, the issue may be the travel time back to campus after the game for the teams. I think you would need to have some type of rotating game-times schedule since the 3:30 EST & 7 EST time slots are the only consistently viable start-times that allow for travel back to campus for the teams in order to be back on campus for Monday classes. (ex. if you have a 7PM EST start-time one week, you would need a 3:30 PM EST start-time for the following week) Just a thought here.....but Sunday PAC-12 games make much more sense to me.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is like a snake eating its own tail. These 9am kicks will end up biting them in the ass for national title contention at some point when USC has to play in Utah at 9am or something to that effect. 11am kicks are notorious in the SEC for being upset territory.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I'd bet that Vandy/Kentucky would be a better game than what they'll throw out @ 9AM..No way we see Utah/Washington...But Arizona-v-Oregon State sure seems appetizing...
I just can't wait for that 9am PT / noon ET Arizona - Colorado kickoff!

Bad football early in the day!

9am: "Where Champions [of Olympic Sports] Play!"

I guess the upside is their "good games" may be on at the same time as the undesirable SEC games.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Let them do what they feel they must but I don't see this helping them in much of any way. I'm still not going to watch their C level game over the SEC, Big Ten, or even Big 12 C game. It would be a tossup between them and the ACC and by that point, it doesn't matter anymore. They've lost me as a viewer before I even turn on the TV.

The problem is the product sucks right now. Relatively speaking the PAC 12 is the worst of the power 5. That's why they keep getting left out of the playoffs. That's why ratings are down. Heck, their own fans don't even care, why should I? If there is ever conference expansion again, I think the PAC 12 ends up getting dissected by the Big 12 for this reason.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Let them do what they feel they must but I don't see this helping them in much of any way. I'm still not going to watch their C level game over the SEC, Big Ten, or even Big 12 C game. It would be a tossup between them and the ACC and by that point, it doesn't matter anymore. They've lost me as a viewer before I even turn on the TV.

The problem is the product sucks right now. Relatively speaking the PAC 12 is the worst of the power 5. That's why they keep getting left out of the playoffs. That's why ratings are down. Heck, their own fans don't even care, why should I? If there is ever conference expansion again, I think the PAC 12 ends up getting dissected by the Big 12 for this reason.
I don't see why it is an issue. I have a friend that moved to Georgia from California, he thinks it is weird here to not have football at breakfast. It is nothing new to them, so moving their games to 9am (for them) is not a huge deal. It might be to some of the players that have to play in those games, but not to fans.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I know how to save the Pac 12. Invite Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Okie Lite to join the Pac 12 an then …….. no, wait.
Texas and Oklahoma are the only reason the Big-12 was able to survive as a conference. Adding those two and any other required to make those two come would indisputably help the Pac-12. I think it would be hell on competition but advertisers therefore broadcasters would vote YES with their dollars.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Kick off at noon and be seen on East Coast at 3pm.

But, there still would be no viewers because east coast viewers don’t care about PAC 12 football regardless of when its on.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am not going to watch a crap game, regardless of conference or televised time. Unless they are playing a top tier SEC team I am not likely going to watch Vandy, UK, Ole Miss, MSU or Mizzou. Watching another conference depends entirely on who is playing, but I more than likely will pass. Most college football, to me, is no longer that exciting.

Last edited:

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I don't see why it is an issue. I have a friend that moved to Georgia from California, he thinks it is weird here to not have football at breakfast. It is nothing new to them, so moving their games to 9am (for them) is not a huge deal. It might be to some of the players that have to play in those games, but not to fans.
Except those west coast breakfast games are east coast noon kicks, not 9am kicks.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Good point except they are not attempting to appeal to the Pac-12 fans. They gave up on them coming in large numbers, at any time, long ago. They probably think because of the success of bad, no fans, TV studio Bowls that the fans in the East will watch any CFB that's televised. I suppose we would if none other was on, but as has been pointed out we already have better than they have to offer.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.