College Dropout, Bedridden 11 Years, Invents Surgery to Cure Self

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
This is an amazing story.

Doug Lindsay was 21 and starting his senior year at Rockhurst University, a Jesuit college in Kansas City, Missouri, when his world imploded.After his first day of classes, the biology major collapsed at home on the dining room table, the room spinning around him.
It was 1999. The symptoms soon became intense and untreatable. His heart would race, he felt weak and he frequently got dizzy. Lindsay could walk only about 50 feet at a time and couldn't stand for more than a few minutes.
"Even lying on the floor didn't feel like it was low enough," he said.
The former high school track athlete had dreamed of becoming abiochemistry professor or maybe a writer for "The Simpsons."
Instead, he would spend the next 11 years mostly confined to a hospital bed in his living room in St. Louis, hamstrung by a mysterious ailment.

Doctors were baffled. Treatments didn't help. And Lindsay eventually realized that if he wanted his life back, he would have to do it himself.
CNN

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
As someone in the medical field that really is a great read. I tell a lot of patient's that they need to remember doctor's and nurse's have a license to "practice" medicine. One thing about the article though. He went to Hilton Head in 2002. The article states he did not see the ocean until 2013. How do you go to Hilton Head and not see the ocean?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As someone in the medical field that really is a great read. I tell a lot of patient's that they need to remember doctor's and nurse's have a license to "practice" medicine. One thing about the article though. He went to Hilton Head in 2002. The article states he did not see the ocean until 2013. How do you go to Hilton Head and not see the ocean?
Probably scrivener's error. There's no doubt about his profound disability...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I guess it's difficult to see much while confined most of the time to lying on your back.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.