A return to 'smash mouth' football? (watch the teaser title)

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
Re: Smash mouth?

When we played the kind of smash mouth football you describe it was seasons we had elite (top 5) defenses and good but not great QB's. We played for field position and basically let our defense win us the game. The situation reversed itself last season when we had a good but not great defense but had an elite QB. This season the defense is still a question mark. Will it be elite or just another good but not great one? The one thing we are certain of is that we have an elite QB and receivers so I think that is what the offense must focus on.
Bingo. We may try to grind it out and eat clock a little more than last year, but it will be because we want to keep the D off the field, not because we are trying to keep a limited QB from being exposed. Not taking full advantage of Tua, Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle and Smith would be nuts.

To put it differently, "hey now, we've got all-stars, let's put our game on and go play."

Last edited:

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL

Be careful what you wish for. I can envision a situation where the old grind it out approach is adopted this year. All it will take is an injury to Tua and a green less talented QB taking his place. And the defenses will be going after Tua this year.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018

The way I see it, we don't have that one back who can carry 20 times per game and average 6-7 yards per carry. Don't even need to. But we do need to establish that run, to keep the secondaries honest. They need to know they cannot set back and wait on patterns in the receiving corp to materialize. This was a positive of Jalen Hurts. He could see that his primary receiver was not open, and then he would take off, and get meaningful yards. Tua cannot do that as well, though he's a decent runner. We also can't take the chance that he gets hurt, as I believe we are thin at QB. Without Tua, the whole offense would change. So, line control is critical. On the defensive side of the ball, secondary just seemed unfocused and undisciplined much of the season. We have found now that the better teams are going to pass the ball, a lot, and not so much running from the RB position. In short, the better teams are like Alabama. Therefore, DB's and LB's in coverage are critical. Allowing an opposing RB to get 70-90 yards from scrimmage isn't going to be a deal breaker for the wins. Allowing the opposing QB to pass effectively, AND get yards beyond the LOS when running, whether pressured or planned, will be back breakers. Clemson can do it. Auburn will be sure to implement it, if they think they must. Most of the other teams we play don't have the skill players to compete.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

“Smashmouth” around here I believe refers to being more physical than the opposing team at EVERY position. I believe the last time we saw something of that nature was the BCS Notre Dame demolishing. Whenever you watched a game that year our offensive line engulfed the defense on the vast majority of plays, regardless of run or pass. The receivers who didn’t catch the pass engulfed the secondary players with punishing downfield blocks. The running backs picked up the blitz and delivered punishing blocks during pass protection. “Smashmouth” is a philosophy I think we’ve kind of gotten away from, but maybe with this new staff we can get back to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

Mr.Harris,Mr.Robinson and Mr. Sanders would beg to differ...Mr. K. Robinson and Mr. Ford might be if given the chance as well, but now I'm just bragging...:Joker_PDT_06:

Had you said that we don't have one back that WILL carry the ball 20 times, I would have agreed in spades.
on TideFans.com
The way I see it, we don't have that one back who can carry 20 times per game and average 6-7 yards per carry. Don't even need to. But we do need to establish that run, to keep the secondaries honest. They need to know they cannot set back and wait on patterns in the receiving corp to materialize. This was a positive of Jalen Hurts. He could see that his primary receiver was not open, and then he would take off, and get meaningful yards. Tua cannot do that as well, though he's a decent runner. We also can't take the chance that he gets hurt, as I believe we are thin at QB. Without Tua, the whole offense would change. So, line control is critical. On the defensive side of the ball, secondary just seemed unfocused and undisciplined much of the season. We have found now that the better teams are going to pass the ball, a lot, and not so much running from the RB position. In short, the better teams are like Alabama. Therefore, DB's and LB's in coverage are critical. Allowing an opposing RB to get 70-90 yards from scrimmage isn't going to be a deal breaker for the wins. Allowing the opposing QB to pass effectively, AND get yards beyond the LOS when running, whether pressured or planned, will be back breakers. Clemson can do it. Auburn will be sure to implement it, if they think they must. Most of the other teams we play don't have the skill players to compete.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

2018- Najee averaged 6.7 per carry, D. Harris averaged 5.8 and J.J averaged 5.3

Look at what Josh averaged against Auburn, Georgia and Oklahoma.
Look at what Najee averaged throughout the season:

Najee is capable of averaging over 6 yards per game and He can carry 20 carries if needed, but unlikely since he will probably average 10 to 15 a game. I think we will see 300 carries for Najee and Robinson combined together.

I do agree that we need to establish the run, but I think we need to focus on executing the plays as it should for run/pass game.

I do not agree with Jalen/Tua and their primary receiver reads. Jalen had lot of issues with reading the field. Tua was very good at that. He would start outside and work his way down to closest safe option as he was taught last year. Jalen improved last year.

I don't think we are thin at QB... Mac is decent solid qb. If we were thin at QB... let's look back to when Jalen and Tua got hurt and Mac had to step in for a minute... That was valuable moment for him... He should be better this year.

Secondary was pretty good last year until Diggs got hurt. I want to be clear on one thing: We know Clemson beat us and they were better team that night, but doesn't mean they were the best team that season. Alabama beat themselves on both sides of the ball and the coaches and players know it. They were not focused that night. Offense needs to do what they were doing last year, but more balanced this year and defense needs to get off the field on 3rd downs... that's it.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Be careful what you wish for. I can envision a situation where the old grind it out approach is adopted this year. All it will take is an injury to Tua and a green less talented QB taking his place. And the defenses will be going after Tua this year.
I seriously doubt we will grind it out... Last thing we need is a system.. where we average 21 to 30 points a game and we struggle on defense, allowing too many close games... Saban knows that. I can see us grinding it out for first half, and then switching to more balanced offense for 2nd half... giving team less chance to prepare for offense.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

If "that which shall not be named" were to happen I'd say we'd probably resemble a '09 (with G. Mac type play at QB) or 2010 (with AJ Mac type play at QB) OR slightly above this.

I think the one thing that is being underestimated in all this is the better talent at QB we have behind Tua and much, much more and deeper talent at wide receiver now.

Not saying we'd not miss Tua (cause he's generational) but we'd also not go back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust play either.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL

If "that which shall not be named" were to happen I'd say we'd probably resemble a '09 (with G. Mac type play at QB) or 2010 (with AJ Mac type play at QB) OR slightly above this.

I think the one thing that is being underestimated in all this is the better talent at QB we have behind Tua and much, much more and deeper talent at wide receiver now.

Not saying we'd not miss Tua (cause he's generational) but we'd also not go back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust play either.
I agree. The offense would probably devolve to "game manager" tactics, at least until the backup got some experience under his belt. It would be AJ redux.

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008

Would love to see us get to a place where we could feel good about a run call on 3rd and 4....

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY

Just my two cents, but I would like see more playaction. RPO is fine, especially when the quick slant is as easy peasy as it seemed at times. However, our offense is one snap away from a significant scheme change, as the SEC Championship proved last year. Obviously, we have the best WR core in the country, and our QB1 is pretty good, too. With that said, I just think that more emphasis on the run would serve to set up playaction better. Good playaction makes everyone on the field better. I am not suggesting a 2 back and TE set. But, then again, I wouldn't scowl at that, either. But I don't want to turn into a Big 12 team, either.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

When Brisco Darlin speaks, people listen...:Joker_PDT_06: on TideFans.com
Just my two cents, but I would like see more playaction. RPO is fine, especially when the quick slant is as easy peasy as it seemed at times. However, our offense is one snap away from a significant scheme change, as the SEC Championship proved last year. Obviously, we have the best WR core in the country, and our QB1 is pretty good, too. With that said, I just think that more emphasis on the run would serve to set up playaction better. Good playaction makes everyone on the field better. I am not suggesting a 2 back and TE set. But, then again, I wouldn't scowl at that, either. But I don't want to turn into a Big 12 team, either.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

When Brisco Darlin speaks, people listen...:Joker_PDT_06: on TideFans.com
Okay, this is weird. I am listening to the Roundtable on Jox, and they are talking to a caller about the Andy Griffith Show, and then I read your reference to Brisco Darlin. This is Twilight Zone stuff. :biggrin2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.