Former corporate lawyer finds that corporations are sociopathic
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Former corporate lawyer finds that corporations are sociopathic

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/29/b...rm-ethics.html

Mr. Gamble has had an epiphany since retiring nearly a decade ago that is so damning of his former life that it is likely to give his ex-partners a case of agita.

He has concluded that corporate executives — the people who hired him and that his firm sought to protect — “are legally obligated to act like sociopaths.”

He made that determination about five years ago when he started to work on a novel that recently inspired him to compose a provocative essay elucidating what he calls, based on his firsthand experience, a “complex network of horribles” in corporate America. He recently shared a draft with a small number of colleagues, seeking their comments.

“The corporate entity is obligated to care only about itself and to define what is good as what makes it more money,” he writes in the essay. “Pretty close to a textbook case of antisocial personality disorder. And corporate persons are the most powerful people in our world.”
    tfw you need DSM-5 to tell you today what Das Kapital could've told you over a century ago.
    Last edited by rgw; July 29th, 2019 at 12:29 PM.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Re: Former corporate lawyer finds that corporations are sociopathic

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/29/b...rm-ethics.html

tfw you need DSM-5 to tell you today what Das Kapital could've told you over a century ago.
    Robert Lewis Dabney of Virginia was very skeptical of corporations because they do not have a "soul to damn, or a backside to kick."

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Now thatís a historical deep cut!
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Second Team

To me, it's not so much as coporations looking for ways to make money. As a business of any kind you can't survive unless you do.
    My problem with alot of corporations is that they do it with little to no regard for the employees, and in growing cases, or the customers.
    They also collude to do this (think cable companies - I service this area and you service that area and we can gouge the customers as we wish.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInCummingGA View Post
    To me, it's not so much as coporations looking for ways to make money. As a business of any kind you can't survive unless you do.
    My problem with alot of corporations is that they do it with little to no regard for the employees, and in growing cases, or the customers.
    They also collude to do this (think cable companies - I service this area and you service that area and we can gouge the customers as we wish.
    A better way to put that might be you cannot make as much money as possible unless that is the priority of your business. I have been the owner of multiple businesses and putting the customer first works well for a small business. I have worked in two offices that were financially driven and they made a lot more money than I do. I left both because it is important to me to put the patient needs first.

For a a larger company, you are absolutely right.