Notre Dame is a product of media hype

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Re: Notre Dame is a product

It's brutal. Most of these clowns walk around crowing like they're the ones that won the last three heartbreakers. Legit, they talk like they own us???It's both hilarious and frustrating as heck at the same time...
I don't live there, but I would think that the last couple of years it would be a pleasure to live in Georgia. Certainly the few Georgia fans I run into around here (Virginia) seem to avoid eye contact and pass by quietly if I'm wearing any Bama gear. :cool: Clempson fans on the other hand:mad:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

It's brutal. Most of these clowns walk around crowing like they're the ones that won the last three heartbreakers. Legit, they talk like they own us???It's both hilarious and frustrating as heck at the same time...
People that do not live here think we are exaggerating. We aren't.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA

Sure there is a lot of media hype around Notre Dame. They have the most prominent and powerful alumni amongst any of the major college football teams. It’s in the best interests of the networks to have ND relevant and have that fan base excited for their team.

I do have my doubts they will ever win it all again. Their culture doesn’t exactly attract a lot of elite athletes who place a career in the NFL as a high priority.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

People that do not live here think we are exaggerating. We aren't.
Even before Kirby had flirted with a few championships the last few years, I've always said that UGA fans were the absolute worst fans I have ever been around. They've always been incredibly arrogant, and I've never figured out why. They have a pretty solid program, historically speaking, but I wouldn't even place them in front of their rival Auburn. They aren't even in the same ballpark with us in that conversation. They have been very well prepared to play us the last two years, but they made stupid decisions and choked the games away. That seems to represent UGA more than championships do, yet most of their fans I've encountered have a level of arrogance that would rival the Yankees in baseball. It's both confusing and laughable at the same time.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Even before Kirby had flirted with a few championships the last few years, I've always said that UGA fans were the absolute worst fans I have ever been around. They've always been incredibly arrogant, and I've never figured out why. They have a pretty solid program, historically speaking, but I wouldn't even place them in front of their rival Auburn. They aren't even in the same ballpark with us in that conversation. They have been very well prepared to play us the last two years, but they made stupid decisions and choked the games away. That seems to represent UGA more than championships do, yet most of their fans I've encountered have a level of arrogance that would rival the Yankees in baseball. It's both confusing and laughable at the same time.

What's funny is I'm an Atlanta Falcons fan.

The part I don't understand with UGA fans is that most of them are, too, if they watch the NFL.

How is it they don't know how the Georgia story is going to end?

When Atlanta went up on the Patriots, 28-3, in the Super Bowl, I said to myself, "We're about to see the biggest collapse in the history of the NFL."

When Atlanta outsmarted themselves with bad play calling only needing a field goal, I didn't even flinch. I EXPECT that.

What's amusing is that within a very short period of time, UGA fans have 3 memorable flops:
1) Atlanta blowing the Super Bowl
2) UGA blowing the NCG
3) MARTA blowing The Weather Channel coverage of the Ga Dome implosion

Those all keep me in stitches......

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

What's funny is I'm an Atlanta Falcons fan.

The part I don't understand with UGA fans is that most of them are, too, if they watch the NFL.

How is it they don't know how the Georgia story is going to end?

When Atlanta went up on the Patriots, 28-3, in the Super Bowl, I said to myself, "We're about to see the biggest collapse in the history of the NFL."

When Atlanta outsmarted themselves with bad play calling only needing a field goal, I didn't even flinch. I EXPECT that.

What's amusing is that within a very short period of time, UGA fans have 3 memorable flops:
1) Atlanta blowing the Super Bowl
2) UGA blowing the NCG
3) MARTA blowing The Weather Channel coverage of the Ga Dome implosion

Those all keep me in stitches......
Don't forget the Braves choking every year. I was a Braves fan before moving here.

I became a Falcons fan after moving here. They went to the Super Bowl the following year (1998), after Minnesota choked bigger than Atlanta. It has now been 20+ years of disappointment. Good times.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Don't forget the Braves choking every year. I was a Braves fan before moving here.

I became a Falcons fan after moving here. They went to the Super Bowl the following year (1998), after Minnesota choked bigger than Atlanta. It has now been 20+ years of disappointment. Good times.
Well, the Braves DID finally win a World Series.

The late Lewis Grizzard wrote a column, I'm guessing around 1979. He covered all kinds of hilarious implosions at the Atlanta sports scene.

Some of you may not know this but.......

in 1972, a running back by the name of Dave Hampton became the first Atlanta Falcons back to rush for 1,000 yards.

They stopped the game and had a celebration and gave him the game ball.

On the very next play, he got hit for a six-yard loss and time ran out with him having 995 yards rushing on the year. (This is a TRUE story).

The next year, 1973, he rushed for 997 yards.

The Atlanta Braves (which is why my hair is mostly gone).....

1) were goshawful from the moment they traded Hank Aaron after the 1974 season, finishing last or next-to-last in six of the next seven seasons
2) were in first place on April 25, 1976, lost TWELVE in a row, and spent most of the next four seasons buried in last place well below everyone else
3) fired Bobby Cox for last place finishes, watched him go to the horrible Toronto Blue Jays, and he had them in the playoffs in year four
4) blew a 3-2 games lead over Minnesota in 1991, becoming the first team ever to lose games 6 and 7 in extra innings
5) had the best record in baseball in 1992, 1993, 1997, 1999, and 2003 - and except for 1992, didn't even win a single WS game, MUCH LESS the championship
6) led the wild card by 7.5 games on Sept 9 and didn't even make the playoffs in 2011
7) blew a 2-0 lead on the 96 Yankees, including blowing game four when leading, 6-0, in the fourth inning

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I guess I have to be contrarian. I fully understand why, as Alabama fans, we "hate" Notre Dame. 1966. 1973. 1974. 1977. The media's bias for them and against us (and the SEC in general) over the years. However, to question their status as one of the greatest programs of all time is to be disingenuous. Up until about 1994, they were very likely the most successful program of all time. They had bested us every time we faced each other up until that point with a championship on the line, whether on the field or in the polls. They had more overall wins and a better winning percentage. They probably got robbed of a title chance in 1993. They were done no favors in 1989, either. Now, since about 1994, they have absolutely lived on their laurels of the prior 100 years. Their status has eroded greatly to the point that they really aren't among the top 3 programs of all time anymore and are really hanging on by a thread to the top 5. Brian Kelly has built them back up to some extent, but 2012 and 2018 has pretty much proven that an undefeated Notre Dame isn't worth nearly as much as it was about 30 years ago. So yes... they are over rated or over inflated today. But I cannot agree that they are overrated as an all-time program.

Frankly, their story is similar to ours. They weren't respected at all when Knute Rockne built them up in the 1920s.

Oh I forgot... I will unabashedly be pulling for them against Jawja.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Well, the Braves DID finally win a World Series.

The late Lewis Grizzard wrote a column, I'm guessing around 1979. He covered all kinds of hilarious implosions at the Atlanta sports scene.

Some of you may not know this but.......

in 1972, a running back by the name of Dave Hampton became the first Atlanta Falcons back to rush for 1,000 yards.

They stopped the game and had a celebration and gave him the game ball.

On the very next play, he got hit for a six-yard loss and time ran out with him having 995 yards rushing on the year. (This is a TRUE story).

The next year, 1973, he rushed for 997 yards.

The Atlanta Braves (which is why my hair is mostly gone).....

1) were goshawful from the moment they traded Hank Aaron after the 1974 season, finishing last or next-to-last in six of the next seven seasons
2) were in first place on April 25, 1976, lost TWELVE in a row, and spent most of the next four seasons buried in last place well below everyone else
3) fired Bobby Cox for last place finishes, watched him go to the horrible Toronto Blue Jays, and he had them in the playoffs in year four
4) blew a 3-2 games lead over Minnesota in 1991, becoming the first team ever to lose games 6 and 7 in extra innings
5) had the best record in baseball in 1992, 1993, 1997, 1999, and 2003 - and except for 1992, didn't even win a single WS game, MUCH LESS the championship
6) led the wild card by 7.5 games on Sept 9 and didn't even make the playoffs in 2011
7) blew a 2-0 lead on the 96 Yankees, including blowing game four when leading, 6-0, in the fourth inning
Stinking Charlie Leibrandt will always be a name I hate hearing. Bobby Cox was a choker in the playoffs. We would be great in season and then remember he was in Atlanta and choke. The Braves only championship came against a city more cursed than Atlanta.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Lots of things are the result of media hype.
The 1993 college football national championship game is a prime example.

August through early November - Florida State vs Notre Dame will determine the best team in the country

Notre Dame wins - leads 31-10 in the fourth quarter....

Press looks at Nebraska and WVA as unbeaten and dismisses them....WVA "doesn't play anybody" (they play the same schedule as Miami EXCEPT for Florida St).....nobody wants to see Nebraska, they've lost six bowl games in a row, and they can't beat FSU...

Notre Dame loses to Boston College....."Wow, wouldn't Nebraska vs Florida St be a GREAT game?"

WVA beats Boston College (unlike Notre Dame did)......."WVA hasn't played anybody..."

Notre Dame benefited unfairly in 1966 and 1977, but they got completely jobbed in 1993.

How Florida State beat them, 46-12, in first-place votes - given the head-to-head - is unbelievable.

N Dame might well have lost to Boston College......but at no time did they lose to Florida State (that year).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Stinking Charlie Leibrandt will always be a name I hate hearing. Bobby Cox was a choker in the playoffs. We would be great in season and then remember he was in Atlanta and choke. The Braves only championship came against a city more cursed than Atlanta.
Let's ask ourselves, though......how many "real" chokes did the Braves actually have?

1991 - no
1992 - no, Toronto was the better team
1993 - yes (Philly was 70-92 in 1992 and the only difference in 93 was they added Scott Rolen; in 94, they had a losing record with mostly the same team)
1996 - maybe (but given what happened next, this will not be recalled as a choke but as the beginning of the late 90s Yankee dynasty)
1997 - no (Florida went 8-4 against Atlanta and won 92 games, 2nd in the NL)
1998 - maybe (San Diego won 98 games that year and basically split the season with the Braves, 4-5....and given what Bochy later did with SF......)
1999 - no
2000 - lost to a team with the same record that was 4-3 against the Braves in the season)
2001 - no
2002 - yes
2003 - yes
2004 - maybe
2005 - yes to Houston, but they would not have won the World Series

So in a 14-year span, I'm willing to concede that FOUR times they failed to advance were flat out chokes while 3 more were debatable.
I think the mere fact they're debatable disqualifies them as chokes.

On the flip side....

1) Cox DID manage to become the first manager to blow a 3-1 series lead in the LCS in 1985 with Toronto (he came within a Francisco Cabrera hit of repeating this in the NL)

2) The Braves choked in 2011 when Cox was nowhere to be seen and looked awful last year in the playoffs, too.

Charlie Leibrandt might be the most hard luck post-season pitcher in history.

1979 LCS
not even yet a rookie with the Reds, he comes into a must win game trailing, 6-0. He balks, sending Willie Stargell to 3rd, but gets out of the inning.

1984 LCS
In another must win with KC, Charlie pitches phenomenally, giving up only 3 hits.....and losing, 1-0 on a 2nd inning manufactured run

1985 LCS
starts game one, gets shelled for 5 runs in the 2nd inning and KC loses
starts game four - pitches great into the 9th with a 1-0 lead, gives up a walk and double, Quiz comes in, and Leibrandt loses when Quiz fails
WINS game seven - he's only in there because KC's best pitcher, Saberhagen, takes a line drive off his pitching hand

1985 World Series
game 2 - leads 2-0 entering the ninth with a five-hitter....gives up four runs and loses
game 6 - gives up 4 hits, leaves trailing, 1-0, and then gets a no decision thanks in large part to Don Denkinger

1991 NLCS
game 4 - staked to a 2-0 lead in the first, gives them back thanks in large part to Charlie's failure to back up third on an overthrow; no decision, Braves lose, 3-2

1991 World Series
game 1- gives up 4 runs in 4 innings and gets the loss
game 6 - Puckett slams Leibrandt's fourth pitch for a game-winning HR

game 5 - relieves Avery down, 5-0, and gives up a run in 1.2 innings, relieved by the forgettable Marvin Freeman with two men on
game 6 - pitches great after the Braves are down, 8-0, for three relief innings

1992 World Series
game 6 - finally makes an appearance and loses the damned ballgame

If you look over these, it didn't matter whether Charlie pitched great or awful.....he almost always was on the wrong side at the end.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Let's ask ourselves, though......how many "real" chokes did the Braves actually have?

1991 - no
1992 - no, Toronto was the better team
1993 - yes (Philly was 70-92 in 1992 and the only difference in 93 was they added Scott Rolen; in 94, they had a losing record with mostly the same team)
1996 - maybe (but given what happened next, this will not be recalled as a choke but as the beginning of the late 90s Yankee dynasty)
1997 - no (Florida went 8-4 against Atlanta and won 92 games, 2nd in the NL)
1998 - maybe (San Diego won 98 games that year and basically split the season with the Braves, 4-5....and given what Bochy later did with SF......)
1999 - no
2000 - lost to a team with the same record that was 4-3 against the Braves in the season)
2001 - no
2002 - yes
2003 - yes
2004 - maybe
2005 - yes to Houston, but they would not have won the World Series

So in a 14-year span, I'm willing to concede that FOUR times they failed to advance were flat out chokes while 3 more were debatable.
I think the mere fact they're debatable disqualifies them as chokes.

On the flip side....

1) Cox DID manage to become the first manager to blow a 3-1 series lead in the LCS in 1985 with Toronto (he came within a Francisco Cabrera hit of repeating this in the NL)

2) The Braves choked in 2011 when Cox was nowhere to be seen and looked awful last year in the playoffs, too.

Charlie Leibrandt might be the most hard luck post-season pitcher in history.

1979 LCS
not even yet a rookie with the Reds, he comes into a must win game trailing, 6-0. He balks, sending Willie Stargell to 3rd, but gets out of the inning.

1984 LCS
In another must win with KC, Charlie pitches phenomenally, giving up only 3 hits.....and losing, 1-0 on a 2nd inning manufactured run

1985 LCS
starts game one, gets shelled for 5 runs in the 2nd inning and KC loses
starts game four - pitches great into the 9th with a 1-0 lead, gives up a walk and double, Quiz comes in, and Leibrandt loses when Quiz fails
WINS game seven - he's only in there because KC's best pitcher, Saberhagen, takes a line drive off his pitching hand

1985 World Series
game 2 - leads 2-0 entering the ninth with a five-hitter....gives up four runs and loses
game 6 - gives up 4 hits, leaves trailing, 1-0, and then gets a no decision thanks in large part to Don Denkinger

1991 NLCS
game 4 - staked to a 2-0 lead in the first, gives them back thanks in large part to Charlie's failure to back up third on an overthrow; no decision, Braves lose, 3-2

1991 World Series
game 1- gives up 4 runs in 4 innings and gets the loss
game 6 - Puckett slams Leibrandt's fourth pitch for a game-winning HR

game 5 - relieves Avery down, 5-0, and gives up a run in 1.2 innings, relieved by the forgettable Marvin Freeman with two men on
game 6 - pitches great after the Braves are down, 8-0, for three relief innings

1992 World Series
game 6 - finally makes an appearance and loses the damned ballgame

If you look over these, it didn't matter whether Charlie pitched great or awful.....he almost always was on the wrong side at the end.
Couldn't just let me have my boiling anger to Cox and Leibrandt could you? Just had to go and show off that memory. I like my memory where I can just hate them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Couldn't just let me have my boiling anger to Cox and Leibrandt could you? Just had to go and show off that memory. I like my memory where I can just hate them.
What's funny is while the Braves will ALWAYS be my team.......I've taken to the Rangers since moving here in 2005.

Our choke record makes the Braves look like the best pressure team in history.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

What's funny is while the Braves will ALWAYS be my team.......I've taken to the Rangers since moving here in 2005.

Our choke record makes the Braves look like the best pressure team in history.
At least the Rangers were not on the receiving end of the worst call in the history of MLB. The infamous "in field" flyout call. Braves fans threw stuff at the umps onto Turner field. I almost threw stuff onto the field from my living room. Every single baseball fans thinks the call was garbage.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

At least the Rangers were not on the receiving end of the worst call in the history of MLB. The infamous "in field" flyout call. Braves fans threw stuff at the umps onto Turner field. I almost threw stuff onto the field from my living room. Every single baseball fans thinks the call was garbage.
I was at work and saw that.

And I'm like, "WHAT????"

Technically, it was a JUSTIFIABLE call, but that doesn't make it the RIGHT call.

I've never in my life seen an infield fly called in the outfield.

Well, I did once.......:)

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

Cubs fan here, but you're 100% correct...HORRIBLE call!!!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.