Notre Dame is a product of media hype - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Notre Dame is a product

Cubs fan here, but you're 100% correct...HORRIBLE call!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    At least the Rangers were not on the receiving end of the worst call in the history of MLB. The infamous "in field" flyout call. Braves fans threw stuff at the umps onto Turner field. I almost threw stuff onto the field from my living room. Every single baseball fans thinks the call was garbage.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Ols View Post
    Cubs fan here, but you're 100% correct...HORRIBLE call!!!
    There's a lot of misery right there.

But at least when the Cubs lost, it was because of some bad play (Leon Durham, Dave Martinez).

It wasn't the humans calling the game messing it up for you. (At least this has been somewhat fixed).
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation First Team LSUgrad2BamaDad's Avatar

I visited with a Bama friend of mine Saturday. He asked my HS Senior son where he was thinking about college, other than Alabama, and the reply was Notre Dame. Bama friend told my son the headline in the Tuscaloosa Sports section in 1978 read "Notre Dame Stinks" apparently because they leap frogged Bama after beating whoever was #1 in the bowl game? Selma can give the details I'm sure.
    "(The Campus Catholic Sudent Center) is going to be our legacy, Terry and I's legacy, that we're going to be as proud of as anything we've ever accomplished," -Nick Saban
    " I come in peace" -WSIV70 (my old user name)

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

If ND never plays for a championship again, they’ve still earned their spot in college football lore.
    Take away the 21 st century and they were by nearly any metric one of the top 2 or 3 programs of all time, along with us and Oklahoma.

I hate them with a passion, but I respect what they’ve accomplished and do not believe that they are a creation of the media.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; August 5th, 2019 at 09:51 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Second Team

Someone help me.

What does, "college football is better when Notre Dame is good" mean?

You can also insert Texas or Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by LSUgrad2BamaDad View Post
    I visited with a Bama friend of mine Saturday. He asked my HS Senior son where he was thinking about college, other than Alabama, and the reply was Notre Dame. Bama friend told my son the headline in the Tuscaloosa Sports section in 1978 read "Notre Dame Stinks" apparently because they leap frogged Bama after beating whoever was #1 in the bowl game? Selma can give the details I'm sure.
    Having not lived in Tuscaloosa or even the South at the time, I'm totally unaware of this.

I'll do some searching, but I have no firsthand knowledge.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Re: Notre Dame is a product of media hype

Originally Posted by LSUgrad2BamaDad

I well remember this and one of the many reasons to hate Notre Dame. A 5th ranked Notre Dame handily beat a Number 1 ranked Texas and jumped all the way to Number 1 in the final AP poll. We were ranked 3rd and destroyed Ohio State in the 1978 Sugar Bowl. It was expected that we would be Number 1 and of course the sportswriters voted Notre Dame #1. It kept us from having a 3-peat (1977, 1978, 1979).

And BTW, we lost during the regular season to Nebraska, they lost during the season to Ole Sis...

"I don't think anybody in the country can beat us."
    Dan Devine, ND Coach, January 2, 1978.

Uh, you lost to Ole Miss.
    At home.

Incidentally, Barry Switzer advocated for Alabama as well, based on the notion that Texas and OU both lost badly, going so far as to say he thought we'd win it.

Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Alum View Post
    [COLOR=#333333]

And BTW, we lost during the regular season to Nebraska, they lost during the season to Ole Sis...
    True.

But the flip side?

Notre Dame beat Miami by 38 on the road, Alabama beat Miami by 36 at home.
    Notre Dame beat USC by 30 at home, we beat them by 1 on the road
    Notre Dame also beat final #10 (and defending champs) Pitt on the road by 10.

They beat four top 20 teams to our two, and outscored their tougher schedule by 40 points more than we did.

(I do wonder how many Tide fans are actually aware that if we had won the 1977 national title, it would have been against the 2nd weakest schedule of any national champion in the last 50 years - the sole exception being 1984 BYU?). We beat four teams with winning records, and six teams in the SEC had five or fewer wins.

I don't argue against us, obviously, but 1977 had nothing on 1966 in terms of egregious voting. At least in 1977, Notre Dame actually beat the team in the last game.

However.....if we invoke the "toughest schedule" argument then one has to wonder why Penn State didn't win the national title that year. They beat Miami by 42, Pitt by 2 (in a rivalry game), and their loss was to a Kentucky team that would have been co-SEC champion except they were on probation.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    True.

But the flip side?

Notre Dame beat Miami by 38 on the road, Alabama beat Miami by 36 at home.
    Notre Dame beat USC by 30 at home, we beat them by 1 on the road
    Notre Dame also beat final #10 (and defending champs) Pitt on the road by 10.

They beat four top 20 teams to our two, and outscored their tougher schedule by 40 points more than we did.

(I do wonder how many Tide fans are actually aware that if we had won the 1977 national title, it would have been against the 2nd weakest schedule of any national champion in the last 50 years - the sole exception being 1984 BYU?). We beat four teams with winning records, and six teams in the SEC had five or fewer wins.

I don't argue against us, obviously, but 1977 had nothing on 1966 in terms of egregious voting. At least in 1977, Notre Dame actually beat the team in the last game.

However.....if we invoke the "toughest schedule" argument then one has to wonder why Penn State didn't win the national title that year. They beat Miami by 42, Pitt by 2 (in a rivalry game), and their loss was to a Kentucky team that would have been co-SEC champion except they were on probation.
    I did not know the details but I knew there was some logic to awarding them over us that year. I'm also aware that we did not play a murderer's row in 1966, either, but a 2 time defending champion that goes 11-0 and destroys Nebraska in the Sugar Bowl deserves at least a share of the NC over two teams that played each other to a tie, with the one team (Notre Dame) electing to sit on the ball at the end rather than attempt to win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I did not know the details but I knew there was some logic to awarding them over us that year. I'm also aware that we did not play a murderer's row in 1966, either, but a 2 time defending champion that goes 11-0 and destroys Nebraska in the Sugar Bowl deserves at least a share of the NC over two teams that played each other to a tie, with the one team (Notre Dame) electing to sit on the ball at the end rather than attempt to win the game.
    There's nothing "wrong" with the logic that ends with Notre Dame winning it......except you then have to ask the obvious question: "Why, then, wasn't Notre Dame ranked THIRD or SECOND rather than FIFTH?"

That's the legitimate beef we have over the whole thing.

1966 is a completely different animal for the reasons you state. Not only two-time champions but started the year at #1 and never lost.

And my study of ties shows that teams that tie DROPPED about 75% of the time (the major exception was when it was a "bad" team that tied a perceived "good" one).

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    At least the Rangers were not on the receiving end of the worst call in the history of MLB. The infamous "in field" flyout call. Braves fans threw stuff at the umps onto Turner field. I almost threw stuff onto the field from my living room. Every single baseball fans thinks the call was garbage.
    I don't. When an infielder is camping under a fly ball under the infield fly situation, it is an infield fly. No ifs, ands, or buts. The shortstop was camping under the fly ball on that call. It was correctly ruled an infield fly.

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    I don't. When an infielder is camping under a fly ball under the infield fly situation, it is an infield fly. No ifs, ands, or buts.
    Actually, he wasn't camped, he was still pursuing the ball and it landed behind any place where he "camped."

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    The shortstop was camping under the fly ball on that call. It was correctly ruled an infield fly.
    Camping isn't even the issue here (nor was he camped - he was retreating and never got under it).

What's funny is that your verbiage is precisely why Ron Darling was arguing in favor of the Braves.

The call is DEFENSIBLE in that it was the ump's judgment that the shortstop could have caught it with "routine" effort.
    It was defensible in that it was a judgment call.

By the same token, the Braves' fans were downright embarrassing that day with the littering of the field, and the Braves lost because they made three errors, not because of the infield fly.