DNC debates - July 30, 31, 2019 - Schedule info and discussion thread - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011

Re: DNC debates - July 30, 31, 2019 - Schedule info and discussion thread

Not until they cut ALL waste and fraud. Stop acting like our tax dollars are their's to spend any way they want. If they want to fly home every weekend they can do it on their dime. Have the same type of heath care coverage the average American has. Cut all unnecessary jobs/depts in the government. Do everything possible before you even consider raising taxes then we can talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    what if raising taxes is the best thing for the country?

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    Thanks Chanson. I am not condemning homosexuality, but rather wondering if a gay running mate would be detrimental to victory in a close election. As President Trump might say " I am the least prejudiced man I know"
    I wasn’t intimating you were. I fully acknowledge that homosexuality is a large differentiator amongst many voting groups. I also take heart in the fact that Pete managed to win re-election with 80% of the vote after coming out during the election in a Midwest state whose governor was Mike Pence. I’m realistic enough to recognize that it may make a difference to many people. I also don’t think it is worth kneecapping who I believe to be the best person for the job because everyone has already resigned themselves to feeling that Biden is the only sensible choice.

Americans, if they choose to stay home because Pete is gay, deserve Trump. It would indicate that America really has chosen the guy that represents them the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    We're going to have insurance for everybody, there was a philosophy in some circles that if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. That's not going to happen with us.They can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better. Source
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan. Source
    Can you guess which quote branded a president as a habitual liar?

Quote Originally Posted by Toddrn View Post
    Not until they cut ALL waste and fraud. Stop acting like our tax dollars are their's to spend any way they want. If they want to fly home every weekend they can do it on their dime. Have the same type of heath care coverage the average American has. Cut all unnecessary jobs/depts in the government. Do everything possible before you even consider raising taxes then we can talk.
    That's a safe cop out

So you are OK with the government wasting tax dollars and continuing to raise taxes? They have already proven that throwing more money at a problem without actually trying to solve the problem doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    That's a safe cop out

So you are OK with the government wasting tax dollars and continuing to raise taxes? They have already proven that throwing more money at a problem without actually trying to solve the problem doesn't work.
    IMHO, this is a no-win argument.

One side says we need to cut waste and the other says we should spend more money.

Meanwhile the bandwidth get royally abused.....lol......
    "Old dog - new tricks"

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Actually, he was pointing out that you oppose any tax increase, as it is impossible to eliminate all waste and fraud.

I agree that government spending needs to be curtailed. But it's silly to think that we'll be able to dig ourselves out of our current hole without increases to revenue.
    This is the darkest timeline.

I never said or implied that.

For every Len Burman that thinks a flat rate tax is regressive you have a Steve Forbes That thinks it would be effective. Do you think it would be regressive because it would produce less revenue for our government to waste, produce a hardship on some individuals because it would change write offs, tax the rich that don't pay taxes, or be a career changer for some individuals?

Quote Originally Posted by Moro Creek View Post
    For every Len Burman that thinks a flat rate tax is regressive you have a Steve Forbes That thinks it would be effective. Do you think it would be regressive because it would produce less revenue for our government to waste, produce a hardship on some individuals because it would change write offs, tax the rich that don't pay taxes, or be a career changer for some individuals?
    Um, you seem to be unaware the "regressive tax" has an accepted definition - from Dictionary.com:

A tax that takes a higher percentage of low incomes than high ones. Sales taxes, especially on food, clothing, medicine, and other basic necessities are widely cited as examples of regressive taxes. (Compare progressive tax.)
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Moro Creek View Post
    Do you think limiting revenue would limit waste? People need to wake up and realize revenue now has very little effect on spending. The last 35 years has proven that.

I agree that this is a no win argument. We must cut spending and waste, balance the budget and then any increase in taxes should go to debt payoff. If we are going to dig out of this huge whole that has been created we are going to have to make some really hard decisions that will affect every person not just the so-called rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    IMHO, this is a no-win argument.

One side says we need to cut waste and the other says we should spend more money.

Meanwhile the bandwidth get royally abused.....lol......

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

So you are OK with the government wasting tax dollars and continuing to raise taxes? They have already proven that throwing more money at a problem without actually trying to solve the
    problem doesn't work.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

I agree that this is a no win argument. We must cut spending and waste, balance the budget and then any increase in taxes should go to debt payoff. If we are going to dig out of this huge whole that has been created we are going to have to make some really hard decisions that will affect every person not just the so-called rich.
    After all, austerity economics has worked out so well for everyone who has used it...
    This is the darkest timeline.