DNC debates - July 30, 31, 2019 - Schedule info and discussion thread

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It is almost like America's race problem is baked into the fabric of this country and it would take something truly radical to repair.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Our tax system should be overhauled. I would like to see a flat rate tax system or even a federal sales tax (probably won't happen). I do believe we need to place a $2.00 or $3.00 per gallon tax on gasoline plus a tax on vehicles for size of engine, i.e. if you buy a new vehicle with over a 3.5 engine, you would pay $10,000.00 in federal tax. From 1.8 to 3.5, you pay a $5,000.00 federal tax, and under 1.8, no tax. Gasoline tax would be used to pay of debt, and vehicle tax used to clean up the environment. Just a pipe dream.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
It’s funny. When people bring up Pete’s inability to just snap his fingers and fix racism in his town, it seems they conveniently forget several things. DeBlasio hasn’t fixed it, but he is trying hard. Booker couldn’t fix it during his time as mayor of Newark.

The whole expectation that a mayor, or anyone can fix racial issues in policing in a short amount of time is a nice and handy way to discount a candidate that is one of the few with firsthand experience with the actual day to day problems faced by many Americans. Unlike many who come from their senate positions, or business world experience.

Now, your point regarding whether America is ready for a gay VP is definitely valid. I think Americans are far more homophobic and misogynistic that Hollywood and the media portray. However, I didn’t think that America would elect a black president. Nor did I think they would elect a racist, xenophobic, dotard.
I wonder if there are any states that a straight democratic president and vice president could carry that a ticket with a homosexual man could not? Maybe Florida. I am not familiar with all of the swing states demographics but I do not think Pete being on the ticket would sway any states outside the south.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I wonder if there are any states that a straight democratic president and vice president could carry that a ticket with a homosexual man could not? Maybe Florida. I am not familiar with all of the swing states demographics but I do not think Pete being on the ticket would sway any states outside the south.
I hope that there wouldn’t be any at all where it made a difference. However I can see in swing states, primarily blue collar, older American union members where it could be a factor. If any of those swing states lost the Democrats the election and Pete was on the ticket, the narrative would definitely be that Pete likely cost them the needed votes. Whether that was the actual reason or not, that would be the story.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Considering that Trump only won by about 70,000+ votes in only a few close states in the mid west, its reasonable to think that a gay on the ticket could possibly sway enough votes. But I would be shocked if any white male is on the ticket with Biden (assuming that he wins the nomination) so its a moot point.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Considering that Trump only won by about 70,000+ votes in only a few close states in the mid west, its reasonable to think that a gay on the ticket could possibly sway enough votes. But I would be shocked if any white male is on the ticket with Biden (assuming that he wins the nomination) so its a moot point.
I think it would probably disproportionately affect people that use the phrase “a gay on the ticket.”

Full disclosure, I’ve donated to Pete’s campaign. Have a bumper sticker on the car and hope that he can secure the nomination. To me he is the only grownup in the room with the full use of his mental faculties. Whether he is gay or not has zero correlation with my belief he is the best person for the job. I’m also being realistic in recognizing that there are a bunch of people tired of the Trump circus, but may decide to stay home because they don’t think America should be led by “a gay.”

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Our tax system should be overhauled. I would like to see a flat rate tax system or even a federal sales tax (probably won't happen). I do believe we need to place a $2.00 or $3.00 per gallon tax on gasoline plus a tax on vehicles for size of engine, i.e. if you buy a new vehicle with over a 3.5 engine, you would pay $10,000.00 in federal tax. From 1.8 to 3.5, you pay a $5,000.00 federal tax, and under 1.8, no tax. Gasoline tax would be used to pay of debt, and vehicle tax used to clean up the environment. Just a pipe dream.
Do you have any problems with the fact that a flat tax is significantly more regressive than even the current tax system?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I hope that there wouldn’t be any at all where it made a difference. However I can see in swing states, primarily blue collar, older American union members where it could be a factor. If any of those swing states lost the Democrats the election and Pete was on the ticket, the narrative would definitely be that Pete likely cost them the needed votes. Whether that was the actual reason or not, that would be the story.
Thanks Chanson. I am not condemning homosexuality, but rather wondering if a gay running mate would be detrimental to victory in a close election. As President Trump might say " I am the least prejudiced man I know"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia_in_ethnic_minority_communities

Homophobia is considered prevalent within the African American community.[SUP][16][/SUP][SUP][17][/SUP] Numerous reasons are given for this, including the image young black males are supposed to convey in the public sphere;[SUP][18][/SUP] that homosexuality is seen as antithetical to being black in the African American community;[SUP][19][/SUP][SUP][20][/SUP][SUP][21][/SUP][SUP][22][/SUP] and the association of the African American community with the church in the United States.[SUP][23][/SUP][SUP][24][/SUP][SUP][25][/SUP][SUP][26][/SUP][SUP][27][/SUP][SUP][28][/SUP]
African Americans in general tend to have more homophobic beliefs than the rest of the country. More black Americans support the idea that ..... people should be condemned, or that AIDS is an acceptable punishment for gay people. Some believe this to be attributable to the effect that conservative church going has on African Americans.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
However, black people in general are less supportive of homophobic policies being written into law. African Americans support LGB civil liberties more than their white counterparts. Some theorize that this is because of conservative churches' role in advocating for African American civil liberties, and that this advocacy has spilled over onto the LGB population as a result.[SUP][29]

A GHN news editor stated that homophobia in the Latino community is tied to a value system that finds it difficult to accept overt sexuality. It is also a part of rigid gender roles and machismo. This has influenced many people with HIV/AIDS not to get tested for the disease in the Hispanic community.[SUP][67][/SUP] Covert homophobia in the use of terms such as that's so gay and no homo are also common.[SUP][68][/SUP][SUP]

[/SUP]
[SUP]

[/SUP]
[SUP]The numerous Hispanics I deal with are very religious. I would imagine that they frown on homosexuality as well as abortion. Whether these attitudes would "Trump" immigration policies I can't say.[/SUP][/SUP]
I have been to the Midwest many times to visit my wife's rural relatives most of whom are older. Ohio and Indiana. All things being equal, a gay candidate at the national level could be a tipping point for these folks.

Keep in mind that a few thousand votes in key areas won the election for Trump.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Not until they cut ALL waste and fraud. Stop acting like our tax dollars are their's to spend any way they want. If they want to fly home every weekend they can do it on their dime. Have the same type of heath care coverage the average American has. Cut all unnecessary jobs/depts in the government. Do everything possible before you even consider raising taxes then we can talk.
what if raising taxes is the best thing for the country?

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Thanks Chanson. I am not condemning homosexuality, but rather wondering if a gay running mate would be detrimental to victory in a close election. As President Trump might say " I am the least prejudiced man I know"
I wasn’t intimating you were. I fully acknowledge that homosexuality is a large differentiator amongst many voting groups. I also take heart in the fact that Pete managed to win re-election with 80% of the vote after coming out during the election in a Midwest state whose governor was Mike Pence. I’m realistic enough to recognize that it may make a difference to many people. I also don’t think it is worth kneecapping who I believe to be the best person for the job because everyone has already resigned themselves to feeling that Biden is the only sensible choice.

Americans, if they choose to stay home because Pete is gay, deserve Trump. It would indicate that America really has chosen the guy that represents them the best.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Not until they cut ALL waste and fraud. Stop acting like our tax dollars are their's to spend any way they want. If they want to fly home every weekend they can do it on their dime. Have the same type of heath care coverage the average American has. Cut all unnecessary jobs/depts in the government. Do everything possible before you even consider raising taxes then we can talk.
That's a safe cop out

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
So you are OK with the government wasting tax dollars and continuing to raise taxes? They have already proven that throwing more money at a problem without actually trying to solve the problem doesn't work.
IMHO, this is a no-win argument.

One side says we need to cut waste and the other says we should spend more money.

Meanwhile the bandwidth get royally abused.....lol......

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
So you are OK with the government wasting tax dollars and continuing to raise taxes? They have already proven that throwing more money at a problem without actually trying to solve the problem doesn't work.
Actually, he was pointing out that you oppose any tax increase, as it is impossible to eliminate all waste and fraud.

I agree that government spending needs to be curtailed. But it's silly to think that we'll be able to dig ourselves out of our current hole without increases to revenue.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
For every Len Burman that thinks a flat rate tax is regressive you have a Steve Forbes That thinks it would be effective. Do you think it would be regressive because it would produce less revenue for our government to waste, produce a hardship on some individuals because it would change write offs, tax the rich that don't pay taxes, or be a career changer for some individuals?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
For every Len Burman that thinks a flat rate tax is regressive you have a Steve Forbes That thinks it would be effective. Do you think it would be regressive because it would produce less revenue for our government to waste, produce a hardship on some individuals because it would change write offs, tax the rich that don't pay taxes, or be a career changer for some individuals?
Um, you seem to be unaware the "regressive tax" has an accepted definition - from Dictionary.com:

A tax that takes a higher percentage of low incomes than high ones. Sales taxes, especially on food, clothing, medicine, and other basic necessities are widely cited as examples of regressive taxes. (Compare progressive tax.)

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Do you think limiting revenue would limit waste? People need to wake up and realize revenue now has very little effect on spending. The last 35 years has proven that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.