Gizmodo: Humans Will Never Colonize Mars

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Is there a sister planet out there?

...Unless we radically adapt our brains and bodies to the harsh Martian environment, the Red Planet will forever remain off limits to humans.

Mars is the closest thing we have to Earth in the entire solar system, and that’s not saying much.
The thought of making biological modifications to humans is fascinating.

Humans are wimps. Drop some cockroaches on Mars; they'd colonize it.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Is there a sister planet out there?

The thought of making biological modifications to humans is fascinating.

Humans are wimps. Drop some cockroaches on Mars; they'd colonize it.
Just like launching something interplanetary from the moon (getting away from the Earth's gravity well) is easier than from the surface of the Earth, I would think that launching something interstellar from Mars (getting further away from the Sun's gravity well) would be easier that from Earth.
There are some other candidates for colonization (e.g. Titan or Europa) of all the alternatives, Mars might be the least bad choice.)

Never is a long time.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Good article, and I agree with the author, even though he brings up some points I'd not fully considered.

Gizmodo: Humans Will Never Colonize Mars
I didn’t read the whole article, but enough to get his point. I totally agree that colonizing Mars isn’t going to happen anytime soon. The place is several months away by space flight and has no natural resources. Setting up living conditions would be very expensive even if it could be done easily. I would rather spend money on forgiving student loans or Medicare for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I agree as well. I just do not think it will ever be possible in any lifetime.
Yah - the biggest issue no one seems to talk about is that Mars no longer has a magnetosphere, so terraforming an atmosphere will essentially be impossible as solar winds will continue to strip away the atmosphere. At best it will always be an environment that will kill humans almost instantly.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yah - the biggest issue no one seems to talk about is that Mars no longer has a magnetosphere, so terraforming an atmosphere will essentially be impossible as solar winds will continue to strip away the atmosphere. At best it will always be an environment that will kill humans almost instantly.
One of the Mars docudramas I saw on NatGeo (or Netflix) showed the colonists going into a volcanic crevasse to get away from solar radiation. I don't know if that is sufficient protection, but if NatGeo says it is, then it must be.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
One of the Mars docudramas I saw on NatGeo (or Netflix) showed the colonists going into a volcanic crevasse to get away from solar radiation. I don't know if that is sufficient protection, but if NatGeo says it is, then it must be.
Underground is also a possibility.

But those who suggest it will be colonized seem to underestimate the unbelievable undertaking it will entail. Literally everything you need to live will have to be carried there, at tremendous expense. Not to mention all the technology that would be required that we don't even have yet, or would have to aggressively modify to work in that harsh environment...

Like the author said - we've not even colonized Antarctica yet and it's FAR more hospitable than Mars...

Humans will never colonize Mars. We'll almost certainly set foot on it, but it won't be another home for humans.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Underground is also a possibility.

But those who suggest it will be colonized seem to underestimate the unbelievable undertaking it will entail. Literally everything you need to live will have to be carried there, at tremendous expense. Not to mention all the technology that would be required that we don't even have yet, or would have to aggressively modify to work in that harsh environment...

Like the author said - we've not even colonized Antarctica yet and it's FAR more hospitable than Mars...

Humans will never colonize Mars. We'll almost certainly set foot on it, but it won't be another home for humans.
It would make Death Valley look like a cakewalk...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Economics, the Dismal Science.
Elon hopes to get the cost of LEO down to $500/lb - can you imagine the cost escape earth's gravitational field and get equipment to Mars? Just look at the Saturn V and how (relatively small) the payload was to the moon. Now multiply that by literally thousands.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.