USA Today / Amway Coaches Poll

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
We really don't need to knock on their schedule - the conference schedule is what it is - they don't control that. Plus they are playing 2 SEC schools (Texas A&M & So Carolina) in their out of conference schedule that they control. We don't have a killer schedule this year either.
Yeah there is really nothing they can do about their conference being so bad and if they were to take a day off and lose to any team on their schedule, even if it were to A&M or South Carolina their playoff chances are most likely toast because of it. Bama on the other hand will in all likelihood get in with one loss. One of these days playing in their conference is going to bite them most likely but what can they do other than win them all?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
We really don't need to knock on their schedule - the conference schedule is what it is - they don't control that. Plus they are playing 2 SEC schools (Texas A&M & So Carolina) in their out of conference schedule that they control. We don't have a killer schedule this year either.
I'll go ahead and knock it. You are right, they can't control their conference, but it should be used as a barometer when comparing them to other teams. Boise State couldn't control their conference back in the day either.

Having said all that, I do think Clemson will find themselves in more than one or two tough games this year. A&M and South Carolina are well documented, and Syracuse is always given mention. But for the first time in this run Dabo has been on, they aren't going to have the underdog motivator going for them. They are going to get a heaping helping of praise from the media during the run up to the season. They're going to have to fight complacency like the haven't had to do yet. You can mention 2016, but they lost Watson after that season so there was the realization they couldn't come back and take things lightly with a new QB.

It will be interesting to watch how they cope with it all, and it would not shock me in the least bit to see them lose a game completely off everyone's radar at the moment.

As for the poll, obviously they deserve the #1 spot.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Shouldn't be any kind of poll until October.
If they did that, fan message boards would have nothing to complain about, talk show host couldn't talk about "weak" schedules and and espn (or other channels) could say they have top 25 match-ups. It would be mass hysteria, almost as bad as dogs and cats living together.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I can't imagine college football without a poll or two or three. Most college football fans love polls. If the AP or Coaches Poll or USA Today didn't create one, I imagine most of us here would have our own. Polls give us something to talk about and give some fans something to crow about. I keep hearing some people say the same thing that you are saying each year, and I just don't see the harm. We know these are just preseason opinions and that some teams will meet expectations, some teams will exceed expectations, and some teams will fail to reach expectations. Either way, polls are as much a part of college football as bands, fans, and alums to me. It's all just part of the fun.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I can't imagine college football without a poll or two or three. Most college football fans love polls. If the AP or Coaches Poll or USA Today didn't create one, I imagine most of us here would have our own. Polls give us something to talk about and give some fans something to crow about. I keep hearing some people say the same thing that you are saying each year, and I just don't see the harm. We know these are just preseason opinions and that some teams will meet expectations, some teams will exceed expectations, and some teams will fail to reach expectations. Either way, polls are as much a part of college football as bands, fans, and alums to me. It's all just part of the fun.
Correct! There is nothing wrong with preseason polls whatsoever. College basketball, baseball, shoot pretty much most college sports have a preseason poll even though they have larger playoffs! Piques fan interest as well as puts a target on the favorites back from the very start! :)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
As long as we are submitting opinions.....I think we should have photos of beautiful female cheerleaders posted along with these polls.

You know...sort of jazz things up a little.

Might impact some of the opinions here.....;)

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
One problem with that is suppose a team loses a game in September, perhaps against a tough OOC opponent. That team and their fan base would have to wait weeks to find out how much that loss hurt them in the polls. With a poll every week they can learn almost instantly where they stand after such a loss.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
The Pac12 might actually get some representation!!! :Joker_PDT_08: on TideFans.com
As long as we are submitting opinions.....I think we should have photos of beautiful female cheerleaders posted along with these polls.

You know...sort of jazz things up a little.

Might impact some of the opinions here.....;)

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
Good. Clemson is #1. I hope they stay there the whole season until the very end. Motivation for our guys.

Imdone

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2019
It will be interesting to see how Clemson handles their success of last year. Last time we went undefeated and won the national title we followed that success by going 10-3 with one of the best teams we've ever had.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.