Kyriq McDonald granted immediate eligibility at Cincinnati

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm not a fan of The Portal. What I have seen is it abused by players and the NCAA.
I would have had a hard and fast rule of Graduates only.
These days many coaches don't know what they are gonna have for a team.
Being at the mercy of an immature kid is the last thing football needs. It's past time for an Adult to come in the room, and make changes.
I doubt the NCAA fixing the problem they created.
(I'm not a fan of the NCAA either.)
The Portal is getting a bad rap by many. Things haven’t changed from previous years as far as the transfer process. The only difference is the players considering a transfer is now public.

And btw, the NCAA has mentioned some remedies to some of the recent issues raised my some about the waiver process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Kyriq left his Alabama Orange Bowl jacket on the airplane. I wasn't even sure whose it was but thought it might be Kyriq's. He didn't ask for it, yet I knew the right thing to do was try to return it (even though I really wanted to keep it LOL). Now I wish I would have just kept it. :(

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It is time to get rid of the year in residence. What exists now is an exploitable loophole for the players and destination schools combined with the patented unpredictable prejudices of the NCAA. Either all undergrad transfers sit a year or all can transfer and play immediately. At least that is my opinion. I lean towards play immediately but I realize that may have far reaching repercussions.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
One thing I've learned since becoming an adult is that bureaucrats will never allow themselves to be boxed in by rules. They love latitude. So the ncaa will never have any hard and fast transfer rules.

My opinion is as long as the kid is in good academic standing with his current school, let him transfer. Most kids are going to stay with you if you are running a good program. If a kid isn't happy, and you try and can't make him happy, he's better off leaving anyway.

Take the ncaa decision makers out of it. JMO.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
A student who earns a degree is not a transfer. Shouldn’t be any restrictions. Everyone else sits a year. The ncaa is clueless and ineffective as usual. The standard is just whatever they feel like on a particular day. “Stupid is as stupid does.”

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Or, go back to the way it used to be. Freshmen could not play, they had to essentially sit a year, although they played other schools's freshmen teams. After their freshmen year let them transfer were ever they want. They would then have 4 years to play 3 at their new school.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
I look forward to Saban finding all the loop holes and ways to exploit the portal and use it to his advantage and become the best at it. Then and only then will the NCAA close the portal lol

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I am, too. Just wish we could benefit, as well.
True, even in the NFL a restricted free agent’s former team receives a compensatory pick. I would equate an undergrad to a restricted free agent in this time period of the NCAA.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
True, even in the NFL a restricted free agent’s former team receives a compensatory pick. I would equate an undergrad to a restricted free agent in this time period of the NCAA.
I don't know what the restitution would be when the labor market is wholly an open market. The NFL controls the means for labor acquisition so they can repay a loss in effectively "future labor credits."

I reckon the NCAA could allow teams to sign additional players above the 25 maximum if you lose players to transfer. Really complicates the roster management math but serious competitors already pay folks to manage that anyway.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I agree with the overwhelming sentiment on this thread, completely. But does anyone know for sure Kyriq didn't have a "legitimate" waiver situation?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I don’t know what role it played in his decision to transfer, but Aaron Suttles on WJOX implied (long before he entered the portal) that Kyriq had a difficult time “finding his way to the classroom”, adding comments along the line of “there is great academic support for athletes at Alabama. If you can’t get to class, that’s on you.”

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He just collapsed on the field at Ohio State. Game on ESPN.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

My god that was just terrifying!!!!

He just leaned forward and his hands and feet just started twitching/convulsing uncontrollably as he collapsed and they kept moving like that with him on the ground....

I hope he's ultimately okay but that did not look good at all....

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Initial reports are that McDonald may have suffered a seizure. McDonald’s mother stated he does have a seizure history.

Prayers for the young man.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
My god that was just terrifying!!!!

He just leaned forward and his hands and feet just started twitching/convulsing uncontrollably as he collapsed and they kept moving like that with him on the ground....

I hope he's ultimately okay but that did not look good at all....
My late brother had epilepsy. Seizures can be a terrifying thing. I remember as child the first time I witnessed him having a seizure. Shocking is an understatement.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.