Kyriq McDonald granted immediate eligibility at Cincinnati

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Former Alabama DB Kyriq McDonald will be eligible to play at Cincinnati immediately in 2019.According to BearcatJournal.com’s Chad Brendel, McDonald received an NCAA waiver...
per SDS
Annnnnnddddd another waiver.

Seriously, let's either give everybody the ability to transfer every year with no consequences until their heart can find contentment or let's put a mandatory sit-out-one-year-no-matter-what rule in place. (I vote for the latter)

As is, it's nonsensical (as is most everything the NCAA touches)

Last edited:

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I agree. You make a choice and stick with it. If you change your mind there should be a penalty involved. Player's can now say I will take a chance and if I get to play great and if I have to sit a year that's OK too.
Annnnnnddddd another waiver.

Seriously, let's either give everybody the ability to transfer every year with no consequences until their heart can find contentment or let's put a mandatory sit-out-one-year-no-matter-what rule in place. (I vote for the latter)

As is, it's nonsensical (as is most everything the NCAA touches)

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I can understand waivers in cases where a kid is leaving to be closer to family or family illness, and truly a “hardship circumstance”.

My understanding is that certainly wasn’t the case with McDonald. He was “managing himself” off the team long before entering the portal.

In my mind this simply illustrates the capricious nature of the NCAA. It’s like they have a trained monkey in a back room in Indianapolis “flipping a coin”.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
As we have said before, if the player has graduated then he should be immediately eligible to play. If he has not graduated, he sits a year period end of discussion.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Seriously though, this is ridiculous. College football does not need free agency.
Agree 100%. I do like the graduate transfer rule.

Wouldn't it be cool if coaches under contract had to sit a year before they can be on the field for their new school/team? If they are fired or fulfill the terms of the contract, then they would be eligible to coach immediately. Obviously, this wouldn't affect coaches that come from the NFL or Juco.

Imdone

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2019
My opinion is that if you are an undergrad and you choose to transfer before you graduate then you must sit a year. No exceptions.
Otherwise, full scale recruiting of any outstanding athlete is never going to end.
Say a school signs the highest rated five star running back in America and he doesn't win the starters job as a freshman.
Every major power five school is going to do non-stop recruiting of that unfortunate young man and they'll be making promises that they have no idea if they can keep. It will make everybody miserable....the player, his coaches, his parents, everybody. And it takes away the requirement that you actually have to compete in order to be a starter in major college football. If you don't win the job just go to a school who guarantees that you will but, in all honesty, who can't guarantee anything.
Some might ask, "But what if he needs to be closer to home because of a family emergency"?
He still needs to sit a year, ESPECIALLY if he has a family emergency. He needs the time to devote to his family and not to his football career. Family is more important.
Finally...we can't leave every case to the judgement of the NCAA. That's like going to Dairy Queen and ordering, "A Total Nonsense Burger and a Cluster please".
Simply make it the same for everyone. Just make it fair. Let the rule be the rule and everybody, like it or not has to live by it.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'm not a fan of The Portal. What I have seen is it abused by players and the NCAA.
I would have had a hard and fast rule of Graduates only.
These days many coaches don't know what they are gonna have for a team.
Being at the mercy of an immature kid is the last thing football needs. It's past time for an Adult to come in the room, and make changes.
I doubt the NCAA fixing the problem they created.
(I'm not a fan of the NCAA either.)

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.