watching replay of Georgia game 2018

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Out of the two 2018 Alabama-UGA games I think that one is the one we probably had no business of winning, but coaching ultimately decided that game. When Kirby decided to sit on a lead instead of going for the kill, and when he flinched when the game was getting away from him was the point where Bama took the game away from them.
I tend to agree with you. From a coaching perspective, Hurts subbing for Tua had a bigger impact than it should. We had faced Jalen 11 months prior, so it should have been clear on what he brought to the table. The fake punt is also well chronicled.

Will we ever get over the hump? I don't know.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I tend to agree with you. From a coaching perspective, Hurts subbing for Tua had a bigger impact than it should. We had faced Jalen 11 months prior, so it should have been clear on what he brought to the table. The fake punt is also well chronicled.

Will we ever get over the hump? I don't know.
my thought was that y'all were somewhat caught off guard by jalen's improvement in passing from the prior game. i know i sure was, he was making throws that i didn't know he was capable of.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not that it matters but I thought it was a punt they blocked. Either way, when they return it for a TD I thought the game was over right then. Seems like we were down double digits at that point in the game.

No, it was a field goal.

On the previous play, UGA got away a flagrant pass interference that was called and then taken up because Tom Ritter saw a tip that was nowhere to be seen.

Then they block it and run it back.

I didn't give up, but it was the first time all season I had doubt.

However, my rational thought process was, "What we need to do is simply run EVERY play. They haven't stopped it yet. Run it all the way down the field. Even a field goal will make it a game again."

However, that two-point conversion that wound up being a stroke of genius.......I didn't like that at the time.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
my thought was that y'all were somewhat caught off guard by jalen's improvement in passing from the prior game. i know i sure was, he was making throws that i didn't know he was capable of.
But at some point you have to answer the question of "why did Kirby take the ball out Fromm's hands?". Fromm abused our defensive backs the whole game, and our pass rush was virtually non existent. Kirby basically called a Mac and Nuss game, and tried to milk a still disputed ball game. While Jalen did improve, he probably shouldnt have been able to lead a comeback with that Alabama defense vs that Georgia offense. But like the saying goes " Great teams find ways to win, and good teams find ways to lose.".

The national championship was more of UGA not preparing for a credible passing attack, and handcuffing their quarterback vs a very good defensive team. The SEC Championship Game was further proof that Nick Saban has forgotten more about football strategy than Kirby will ever know.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No, it was a field goal.

On the previous play, UGA got away a flagrant pass interference that was called and then taken up because Tom Ritter saw a tip that was nowhere to be seen.

However, my rational thought process was, "What we need to do is simply run EVERY play. They haven't stopped it yet. Run it all the way down the field. Even a field goal will make it a game again."

However, that two-point conversion that wound up being a stroke of genius.......I didn't like that at the time.
But the sad thing is that was a game that shouldve been an epic blowout administered by Alabama, but we had the worst coordinator in the Saban era (and yes he was worse than applewhite because of the team he had compared to the 2007 team)

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
No, it was a field goal.

... and running it on us was a good strategy. That was a major weakness in the 2018 team. We won't be a playoff contender if Georgia doesn't improve on run defense, TFL and QB sacks.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
No, it was a field goal.

i almost burned my house down after that b.s. reversal

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
... and running it on us was a good strategy. That was a major weakness in the 2018 team. We won't be a playoff contender if Georgia doesn't improve on run defense, TFL and QB sacks.
Nussmeir is by far the worst offensive coordinator since Rader to be hired by Alabama. Many might try to say Applewhite, but I doubt Applewhite wouldve lost to aTm, Auburn 2013. I also doubt Applewhite wouldve needlessly been in dogfights vs LSU and UGA just to try to say AJ should win the heisman. Applewhite was bad, but atleast he has an out in that he was having to coach a Shula offense with a bunch of premaddonas, and that he scored 5 touchdowns on a Saban defense with a Shula offense.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Nussmeir is by far the worst offensive coordinator since Rader to be hired by Alabama. Many might try to say Applewhite, but I doubt Applewhite wouldve lost to aTm, Auburn 2013. I also doubt Applewhite wouldve needlessly been in dogfights vs LSU and UGA just to try to say AJ should win the heisman. Applewhite was bad, but atleast he has an out in that he was having to coach a Shula offense with a bunch of premaddonas, and that he scored 5 touchdowns on a Saban defense with a Shula offense.
Applewhite was not a bad coordinator. He was just a bad fit on that staff, and really maybe any Nick Saban staff. I don't know details, but that much was obvious. But I think he got the most that could have been gotten out of that 2007 offense.

Nuss was the worst of the Nick Saban era. It cost us the 2013 title, and damn near cost us 2012.

I don't remember any one of us liking it. Sure felt great when we got it.
No, it was a field goal.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
But the sad thing is that was a game that shouldve been an epic blowout administered by Alabama, but we had the worst coordinator in the Saban era (and yes he was worse than applewhite because of the team he had compared to the 2007 team)
I don't dispute that Nussmeier was a huge problem, but I'm not convinced that UGA was so bad that we should have blown them out, either.

That was a GOOD UGA team.

Now 2013 Auburn on the other hand........that was a ragtag bunch of true believers that teams kept letting hang around and not finishing.

2013 Auburn was not as good as their record.
2012 Auburn was not as bad as theirs, either.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
When it happened, I thought it was horrible.....and then the blocked FG was like getting kicked in the stomach.

I'm not a "blame the refs" guy, but that call really upset me.

At least in the 2011 LSU regular season game, it WAS a judgment call, and depending on when I see it, I come down on a different side of the issue. But the UGA non-PI was like, "Nobody was even close enough to tip it!" What did Ritter or the official THINK he saw???

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't dispute that Nussmeier was a huge problem, but I'm not convinced that UGA was so bad that we should have blown them out, either.
Most of our problems in that game was trying to throw the ball. Its one of the few games that Im totally with "the Run Da BAWL" crowd, but they are usually entirely against me because it really doesnt look good on AJ. It was a close game because we played into their strength as a defense constantly in the 1st half. Had we ran from the word go then we probably wouldve had two runningbacks over 200 yards and a 14 point win even with the Saban timeout blunder at the end of the 1st half. That game and the LSU game was needlessly close because we had a coordinator wanting a heisman winner on his resume instead of a national championship, which is odd because he did the exact opposite the year later against Auburn.

Point is, the 7.5-9 point vegas line was accurate to how the game should have been. Georgia was good, but they were not in the top 10 Georgia teams of all time category. Lets not forget scores like these:

September 293:30 PMTennesseeNo. 5
  • Sanford Stadium
  • Athens, GA (Rivalry)

CBSW 51–4492,746
October 67:00 PMat No. 6 South CarolinaNo. 5

ESPNL 7–3585,199
October 207:00 PMat KentuckyNo. 13

SECRNW 29–2466,293
October 273:30 PMvs. No. 3 FloridaNo. 12

CBSW 17–984,681

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
No, it was a field goal.

It was so hard to believe that such a huge Alabama fan as Ritter would do such a thing.

Seriously every single one of our rivals swear Ritter was a huge Bama fan.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It was so hard to believe that such a huge Alabama fan as Ritter would do such a thing.

Seriously every single one of our rivals swear Ritter was a huge Bama fan.
And just a reminder that even though "the league offices are in Birmingham," they were in B'ham when we were 3-9, too.
They were in B'ham when we got stuck with that 2010 schedule, too.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
The reversal that really upset me was the Millner interception on UGA's final drive. I agree that it was really close, but I never saw conclusive evidence to overturn the call. The game should have ended there. With that said, we would have never heard the end of it had the call stood.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I hate to break it to you but Kirby had a problem with getting the QB nearly his entire time here.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.