Pentagon testing mass surveillance by balloon through the Midwest - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Pentagon testing mass surveillance by balloon through the Midwest

As long as they're testing the stuff in military airspace/property then I reckon that is fine. That is by doctrine how that kind of training goes.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

The problem with not worrying at all about this is the history of our government collecting data it shouldn't.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    The problem with not worrying at all about this is the history of our government collecting data it shouldn't.
    I get that. The NSA was doing this and probably others.
    The article was vague in its attempt to create the impression that the U.S. military was collecting information on U.S. citizens inside the U.S.
    Inside the intelligence community, they know that if an intelligence operative collects information from a U.S. citizen inside the United States without court order, he knows he risks going to jail. If it comes to daylight, then everybody involves will be scrambling to cover their involvement in the activity/find that court order, because without one, somebody's going to jail.
    You could write your congressman and ask for details on these tests and what safeguards were in place to make sure the military did not collect intelligence on U.S. citizens within the United States.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    I get that. The NSA was doing this and probably others.
    The article was vague in its attempt to create the impression that the U.S. military was collecting information on U.S. citizens inside the U.S.
    Inside the intelligence community, they know that if an intelligence operative collects information from a U.S. citizen inside the United States without court order, he knows he risks going to jail. If it comes to daylight, then everybody involves will be scrambling to cover their involvement in the activity/find that court order, because without one, somebody's going to jail.
    You could write your congressman and ask for details on these tests and what safeguards were in place to make sure the military did not collect intelligence on U.S. citizens within the United States.
    Who went to jail for previous systematic collections?

Look, I don't know the purpose of these tests and I get that maybe they are testing and not collecting but we do have a history.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-SEC

Look, I don't know the purpose of these tests and I get that maybe they are testing and not collecting but we do have a history.
    Look, you should ignore history. This is a new government under a new president. The military has pinky swear promised not to do the bad stuff they did in the past. Furthermore our current president hires only the most honest people, unlike past presidents.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

G. Gordon Liddy?
    Snowden has been pilloried in absentia for exposing the NSA metadata collection so I guess you have a point.
    To me it is obvious they are testing a piece of kit for use outside the United States.
    The Army was heavily involved in apprehending "political prisoners" during the Lincoln Administration, but that was before the Posse Comitatus Act.