How Southern Are You? (A Quiz)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A saw this map recently and I guess it fits here.
US ethnic map.jpg
It shows the map of U.S. counties by ethnicity.
Purple in this map means "African-American," and the yellowish area is "American" (not sure what that means). You will noticed the southern states are mostly yellowish and purple, while the northern states are "German," or "Irish," etc.
This map lends credence to Granny of the Beverly Hillbillies who described the Civil War as the "war between the Yankees and the Americans."

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
34 of 35. I guessed cats rather than turtles. I’ve never heard of a herd of turtles.

My grandmother never called a vacuum cleaner anything but a sweeper.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
A saw this map recently and I guess it fits here.
View attachment 4091
It shows the map of U.S. counties by ethnicity.
Purple in this map means "African-American," and the yellowish area is "American" (not sure what that means). You will noticed the southern states are mostly yellowish and purple, while the northern states are "German," or "Irish," etc.
This map lends credence to Granny of the Beverly Hillbillies who described the Civil War as the "war between the Yankees and the Americans."
A little surprised at how pervasive Germanic ancestry is (of which I am) in the middle and northern tiers. Offhand it looks to be THE largest representation, if I'm reading it correctly.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A little surprised at how pervasive Germanic ancestry is (of which I am) in the middle and northern tiers. Offhand it looks to be THE largest representation, if I'm reading it correctly.
I'm just curious what it means to be "American." I refuse to believe the authors think most people in Wisconsin were born in Germany. I'm sure they mean "Of German descent." So the counties in which the plurality were "American," where did their ancestors come from? The county I now live in is one of the yellow ones. My ancestors come from England, Ireland and Scotland. I am, as a German would say, "eine Mischung," so maybe that is what is considered an American.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I wondered about that, too. It seemed a bit odd to me, as in what metric were they using for determining "American"? Not Native American. Would like to know more about that.

Any census experts out there?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.