Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I had never heard of referring to a vacuum cleaner as a "sweeper."

On the other hand, when I lived in England, I heard supposedly high brow Brits use the word "reckon" all the time. They would say, "How do you reckon?" as in, "What is your reasoning?"
I use "how do you reckon" all the time...mine comes out more like "how ya reckon". But my engrish drives english teachers nuts, so there's that.

32 out of 35

Last edited:

SavanaBama

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 25, 2000
Huntsville, AL
Perfect score for me -- you can take the girl <somewhat> out of the country, but you can't take the southern out of the girl :wink:

I'm sure my momma will be proud :blush:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
"Reckon" is an ancient Germanic word. To calculate in German is "rechnen." At a restaurant, the bill is the "Rechnung." (reckoning) Nothing wrong with it...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I scored 33 out 35. Its hard to believe that only the south has these sayings.
I had the same reaction.
Then again, southerners frequently do not recognize southernisms as southernisms. When I lived and DC and used to hang out with people from NY and NJ, and I said, "Hey, I'm fixin' to go to the Watergate. Need me to pick up anything for you?"
My colleagues would say "You're "fixin' to?"
Then I would amend what I said by saying, "I am holding myself in readiness to go to the Watergate."

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
33/35. I've never heard a vacuum referred to as a sweeper. And, "the rode it hard and put away wet" phrase I had never heard of before that quiz. Sounds like the title of an adult film not something a southerner would use.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
32/35. I'd never heard the herd of turtles or the sweeper one. Heck, use the head made more sense to me than use the sweeper. I'm a sailor, though, so that's why I answerd, "head." The other one I missed was carrying on instead of moving on. I've used both phrases.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
33/35. I've never heard a vacuum referred to as a sweeper. And, "the rode it hard and put away wet" phrase I had never heard of before that quiz. Sounds like the title of an adult film not something a southerner would use.
That was one of the ones that caught me plus the turtle one. I think the rode it one refers to riding a horse hard and putting it in the barn sweaty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
That was one of the ones that caught me plus the turtle one. I think the rode it one refers to riding a horse hard and putting it in the barn sweaty.

It does, if you ride the horse long enough or hard enough to work up a lather they need be cooled off before you stable them. That was what I had to do before I brushed and curried them but then again I haven't rode a horse in years.

ETA - 34 out of 35. The sweeper got me.

Last edited:

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
32/35. I'd never heard the herd of turtles or the sweeper one. Heck, use the head made more sense to me than use the sweeper. I'm a sailor, though, so that's why I answerd, "head." The other one I missed was carrying on instead of moving on. I've used both phrases.
Wasn't a sailor either, but "head" is the first thing that popped into my southern mind. 34-35.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.