Petition calls on the FTC to fine itself over promises on the Equifax breach

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...sing-for-promising-you-dollar125-from-equifax

Consumer rights groups say the Federal Trade Commission should investigate itself for false advertising after the agency backtracked on cash payouts.As part of its $575 million settlement with Equifax, the FTC initially stated victims of the historic hack would get either 10 years of free credit reporting, or a $125 cash payout if they already had such services. But it didn’t take long for the FTC to backtrack on its promise of modest cash compensation, claiming it found the public interest in free money “unexpected.”

Now consumer group Demand Progress says the agency should investigate itself for incompetence, empty promises, and for violating the FTC Act. The FTC Act prohibits unfair and deceptive advertising “in any medium,” but the FTC has long been criticized for turning a blind eye to blatant examples of misleading marketing across numerous sectors.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
excuse me for laughing Jon. Just strikes me as funny.
agency should investigate itself for incompetence, empty promises, and for violating the FTC Act
"well, we have investigated ourselves for incompetence and have found that we are indeed incompetent":biggrin2:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
excuse me for laughing Jon. Just strikes me as funny.

"well, we have investigated ourselves for incompetence and have found that we are indeed incompetent":biggrin2:
made me think of the opening credits to Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"those responsible for the sackings have been sacked"

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.