News Article: Alabama announces 2020 football schedule

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm not going to lie. I'm a bit worried about 2020

Alabama announces 2020 football schedule

The 2020 SEC Championship Game is slated for Saturday, Dec.5, at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta.
DateOpponent
Sept. 5vs. Southern Cal (Arlington)
Sept. 12GEORGIA STATE
Sept. 19GEORGIA
Sept. 26KENT STATE
Oct. 3at Ole Miss
Oct. 10at Arkansas
Oct. 17MISSISSIPPI STATE
Oct. 24at Tennessee
Oct. 31BYE
Nov. 7at LSU
Nov. 14UT-MARTIN
Nov. 21TEXAS A&M
Nov. 28AUBURN

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
So we play A&M and AU plays LSU the week before the Iron Bowl. That's.....different. Third game against UGA is a heck of way to start the season..

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Wow can't believe Ut-Martin and A&M games are not switched. At least both A&M and the Aubies are at home but still cant believe the UT Martin game is not played between the two. I am just curious if the Aubies will play a tough game before us or they will get their usual cupcake. The schedule definitely has a trip game or two in there.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This will be a huge test for the new starter, whomever that might be.

We'll find out real quick with USC and then Georgia in weeks 1 and 3.

Then Oct. is a pretty rough stretch.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Wow can't believe Ut-Martin and A&M games are not switched. At least both A&M and the Aubies are at home but still cant believe the UT Martin game is not played between the two. I am just curious if the Aubies will play a tough game before us or they will get their usual cupcake. The schedule definitely has a trip game or two in there.
They're playing LSU

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm not going to lie. I'm a bit worried about 2020

Alabama announces 2020 football schedule

The 2020 SEC Championship Game is slated for Saturday, Dec.5, at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta.
DateOpponent
Sept. 5vs. Southern Cal (Arlington)
Sept. 12GEORGIA STATE
Sept. 19GEORGIA
Sept. 26KENT STATE
Oct. 3at Ole Miss
Oct. 10at Arkansas
Oct. 17MISSISSIPPI STATE
Oct. 24at Tennessee
Oct. 31BYE
Nov. 7at LSU
Nov. 14UT-MARTIN
Nov. 21TEXAS A&M
Nov. 28AUBURN
This could be a real rebuilding type year with the loss of talent we'll have on offense. I don't think it means we lose lots of games but it'll be a different looking team in 2020.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'd describe that as smart scheduling. Looking at probably the two toughest opponents (Georgia and LSU) we see that we have a cupcake game both the week before and the week after Georgia and we have the bye before and a cupcake game after LSU. Good move since we might be a bit beat up physically after those games and thus play lackluster football the week after. It won't matter against the cupcakes. TAMU and Auburn back to back shouldn't be a problem considering they're home games and Auburn has a tough game right before the IB as well.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I'm not going to lie. I'm a bit worried about 2020”

I think that schedule stacks up to be pretty brutal as well. I'm a very optimistic fan, but if we finish the season with under 2 losses it will be the greatest coaching job of Saban's career.

1. We'll likely be in another transitional period on both sides of the ball. There's a 98% chance Tua leaves early, plus potentially dealing with the losses of Harris, Jeudy, Smith, and Ruggs, all who will be draft eligible. Defensively we'll also have our usual draft exodus, so we could be returning as few as 8-10 combined starters.

2. USC could go either way this year, but a lot of people project JT Daniels as the breakout QB of the year. He's only a soph and next year he'll potentially be in the running as a 1st rd pick. I don't think they will beat us, but that still is likely a huge game against a high-powered offense that requires a ton of focus. Meanwhile UGA opens against UVA and E Tennessee St, which is a significant drop-off in quality. Wouldn't shock me if UGA has a singular focus on us all off-season. (Especially if we beat them again this year) That week 3 game just smells like a loss to me.

3. Then the last 7 weeks of the season will be one of the toughest stretches in memory. Miss St, @UT, @LSU, FCS, A&M, Auburn, SECCG... That's a lot of trap games, and a gauntlet almost no one could survive unscathed. Wouldn't shock me to take an L somewhere in there as well.

You can never count a Saban coached team out, and we've seen several times that the committee will consider putting a 2 loss team with the right resume in the playoffs. Plus a lot can change with development, draft stock, the transfer portal, and so many other fluid factors. However, at face value as of right now, this looks like the closest thing to a rebuilding year we've had in years.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
You can never count a Saban coached team out, and we've seen several times that the committee will consider putting a 2 loss team with the right resume in the playoffs. Plus a lot can change with development, draft stock, the transfer portal, and so many other fluid factors. However, at face value as of right now, this looks like the closest thing to a rebuilding year we've had in years.
Didn't want to quote your whole post but I agree. Our opinions may all change depending on how this season goes but as of right now I wouldn't be at all shocked if 2020 is the first year we miss the playoffs.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We will still get crap about 3 of our 4 OOC games but that is a very difficult schedule. I wonder if the TA&M game before the Barn game is a permanent slot.

I assume our 2021 road games are going to be UGA, MSU, TA&M and the Barn. Pretty brutal if in fact we play UGA in back to back seasons.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Okay, your reminder of what to expect.

1) If we lose to Georgia, the parade of "the dynasty is over" crowing cranks up. It'll be as loud as it was in 2015.

2) If we steamroll this schedule, we'll hear about how we didn't play anybody.

3) If we lose 2 games - never mind the facts - it becomes, "This is why Alabama has avoided tough scheduling since Saban has been here."

4) When several teams on this schedule fail to live up to the billing, it will be used against us - and they'll name another foe we "should have played." Remember folks - we played FSU in a "playoff preview" game in 2017 and when the season was over, folks were saying we needed to play UCF.

Had we scheduled and smoked UCF, of course, these same imbeciles would be saying, "But they were afraid to play FSU."

But Auburn took the cake here. "Hey, we're tired of having Georgia and Alabama back-to-back."

SEC: "OK, we'll move Georgia. And HERE'S LSU for ya!"

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
We will still get crap about 3 of our 4 OOC games but that is a very difficult schedule. I wonder if the TA&M game before the Barn game is a permanent slot.

I assume our 2021 road games are going to be UGA, MSU, TA&M and the Barn. Pretty brutal if in fact we play UGA in back to back seasons.
In 2021 we play @Florida

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.