SEC Coaches talk anonymously about Alabama and other SEC teams

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/sec-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2019

Alabama

"Maybe the best thing for this year's team was losing that national title game the way they did. They were outplayed, outcoached and got whipped on the lines. Now they're going to reload with the best roster in the league, but Nick Saban has all the motivation he needs."

"I think the coaching staff was an issue last season. The turnover at coordinator and some of those position guys, maybe Saban underestimated that impact on the players."

"Pete Golding could be the next great Alabama defensive coordinator. This is his year to show it."

"They'll be a better defense this year. The secondary was freshman young, and now they're experienced. Pay attention to the competition up front; replacing Quinnen Williams will be key. LaBryan Ray is the next man up there, he'll be really good. Raekwon Davis is an absolute monster. NFL ready."

"If there's a questionable unit, and there really isn't, it might be offensive line. Jonah Williams is a first-round talent. They'll need a new center and it's a new offensive system."

"Kyle Flood was a good pick for OL coach because he’s worked with Sark a while at the NFL level but he knows college linemen."

"I think they’ll miss Josh Gattis, he did a really great job with those receivers. What they return is probably the best in the SEC."

"Najee Harris needs to come out strong and show he can be an actual feature back. It's his backfield."

"What can you say about Tua Tagovailoa? He plays hard, he plays hurt, he's great with pressure and competes his ass off. He's the ideal Saban quarterback."

"This is another national championship team, and they have the benefit of building off of last year's loss. They'll come out angry and focused."

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Saban has successfully schemed around every deficiency we’ve had, except for defensive line. If the defensive line shows up and shows out I believe we can win another title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
A few years ago several of the sec coaches casted doubts about certain until of our team and I think we won the national championship that year. This year they are all talking us up. In not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I feel as good about this team, as I have any team, during "The Process" under Coach Saban at Bama..We have the right mix of leadership & incoming "Blue Chip" studs to provide depth at key positions..If we play our game & enforce our will each game..I don't see any team in the SEC or college football standing in our way as we march to another NC(including Clemson)..

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Hope we don't miss Josh Gatis. Lets see what he does at Michigan this year.
Did Gattis make the WRs look good? Or was it the other way around?

If his heart wasn’t in Bama, we are better off with him elsewhere.

Hard to coach and pimp yourself at the same time.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Did Gattis make the WRs look good? Or was it the other way around?

If his heart wasn’t in Bama, we are better off with him elsewhere.

Hard to coach and pimp yourself at the same time.
I agree. I'm pretty sure I could coach our receivers, and they would make me look like a great coach. I've always thought that people should be elsewhere if they don't want to be at Bama, and that goes for coaches, players, students, professors, etc.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
IMO, Bama's WRs are great and Gattis is at least very good. He did a fabulous job at PSU with their WRs. Don't know how good of an OC he will be but he does a great job with WRs.

Bama's WRs are not just great at typical WR skills but they are incredibly tough and fearless and they block in spite of the fact that they aren't big. They have been truly amazing.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
IMO, Bama's WRs are great and Gattis is at least very good. He did a fabulous job at PSU with their WRs. Don't know how good of an OC he will be but he does a great job with WRs.

Bama's WRs are not just great at typical WR skills but they are incredibly tough and fearless and they block in spite of the fact that they aren't big. They have been truly amazing.
You could draw up ad hoc routes in the dirt for these guys and they`d still be the best receiving corps in the SEC, if not all of college football.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Gattis might be OK...but throwing shade right of the gate at the people that helped you land where you are??? Glad he "took his talents" elsewhere...JMHO...RTR!!!

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Have you watched our place kickers for the past 13 years?

Saban has successfully schemed around every deficiency we’ve had, except for defensive line. If the defensive line shows up and shows out I believe we can win another title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Gattis might be OK...but throwing shade right of the gate at the people that helped you land where you are??? Glad he "took his talents" elsewhere...JMHO...RTR!!!
Don't disagree. I was completely unaware of the "issues" he was involved in on the staff last year that have shown up in this thread. I just knew that I thought he was a great hire because I had admired the WRs at PSU before there was any link with Alabama. Whatever skills and attitudes he might have brought to Bama, and the WRs were high-level, would have been offset by the discord that he may have helped engender. I realize that most of what the WRs are is due to their own talent, work and attitude - they are an incredible bunch.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
The comment that our receivers are probably the best in the SEC surprises me. I don't see an SEC team with a group that comes close.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The comment that our receivers are probably the best in the SEC surprises me. I don't see an SEC team with a group that comes close.
I'm not a CFB guru like some here, but I can't think of a single team in CFB that has a WR corps that compares to Bama. Literally all four could be first round draft picks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.