Question: Will the Tennessee / Alabama game become relevant again? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American sanjosecrimson's Avatar

Re: Will the Tennessee / Alabama game become relevant again?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBoySince89 View Post
    The 3rd Saturday In October is a distant memory. Even LSU is becoming less of a big game now.
    let's not jump the gun on LSU just yet. they have been recruiting at a high level these last few classes and have played Bama much tougher than the Vols in the last decade.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamamoss2 View Post
    When you have been around as long as I have, you will understand that history has a way of changing......
    So does football. Teams like Nebraska and Tennessee used to be Top jobs that you could win a national championship at, but now they aren't better jobs than Arkansas and Missouri because of the lack of instate recruiting. For Tennessee to succeed they desperately need to recruit nationally, and not many coaches can bag a lot of top out of state talent, and sell them into coming to a landlocked state with a rich football history. Sure they can win one here and there, but here and there might as well be 10 to 15 years between here and there.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; August 8th, 2019 at 09:57 AM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

We only had a 6 game lead in the series when Saban took over. We led 44-38 at that point. Now, after reeling off 12 in a row, we lead 56-38..
    Last edited by CrimsonForce; August 8th, 2019 at 01:09 PM.

BamaNation First Team WalkaboutSean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    We only had a 4 game lead in the series when Saban took over. We led 44-38 at that point. Now, after reeling off 12 in a row, we lead 56-38..
    I'm no math wizard, but that looks like a 6 game lead.

In any event, we need to keep our boot on their neck. I would love to see the Streak hit 20.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I certainly hope not, but when CNS retires you never know. Never say never.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame CHATTBRIT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uafanataum View Post
    If Pruitt does not do it then I suspect never. People talking up the game will become like people talking up Nebraska. They are just not relevant anymore regardless of history.
    Can't see the orange slime ever being relevant either if Pruit doesn't get them there. The only way 10rc become relevant without Pruitt would be to get up to their recruiting shenanigans when Fulmer was in charge. Personal knowledge during the Fulmer tenure of a TN recruit from the projects driving a brand new pick up worth around $50K back then.
    Manchester City 2017-2018 English Premier League Champions & Carabou Cup Winners
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

BamaNation All-American

it would be fine with me if they lose by 20+ to us forever.

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    So does football. Teams like Nebraska and Tennessee used to be Top jobs that you could win a national championship at, but now they aren't better jobs than Arkansas and Missouri because of the lack of instate recruiting. For Tennessee to succeed they desperately need to recruit nationally, and not many coaches can bag a lot of top out of state talent, and sell them into coming to a landlocked state with a rich football history. Sure they can win one here and there, but here and there might as well be 10 to 15 years between here and there.
    81, football does change and , my reference is to the fact that over the years (particularly prior to Saban) TN and Bama have each had streaks. I hope our streak over TN never ends , but I am tempered with the history of the rivalry.
    "May the Tide Be with You"

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I certainly hope not, but when CNS retires you never know. Never say never.
    My sentiments exactly! Roll Tide!!!
    "May the Tide Be with You"

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

It has been a streaky series, at least during my 51 year lifetime. Fortunately for us, I see that continuing to be the case for the foreseeable future.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamamoss2 View Post
    81, football does change and , my reference is to the fact that over the years (particularly prior to Saban) TN and Bama have each had streaks. I hope our streak over TN never ends , but I am tempered with the history of the rivalry.
    Yes, but how relevant has Tennessee been in that 12 years compared to all the other streaks? Tennessee as a program isnt the same Tennessee as in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. There have twice as much losing seasons since 1998 than 10 win seasons. That isnt a streak of bad luck, that is a mediocre at best program that modern football has killed, and wont ever be the same program ever again.

1999 Phillip Fulmer 9–3 6–2 L Fiesta 9 9
    2000 Phillip Fulmer 8–4 5–3 L Cotton 25
    2001 Phillip Fulmer 11–2 7–1 W Florida Citrus 4 4
    2002 Phillip Fulmer 8–5 5–3 L Peach
    2003 Phillip Fulmer 10–3 6–2 L Peach 16 15
    2004 Phillip Fulmer 10–3 7–1 W Cotton 15 13
    2005 Phillip Fulmer 5–6 3–5
    2006 Phillip Fulmer 9–4 5–3 L Outback 23 25
    2007 Phillip Fulmer 10–4 6–2 W Outback 12 12
    2008 Phillip Fulmer 5–7 3–5
    2009 Lane Kiffin 7–6 4–4 L Chick-fil-A
    2010 Derek Dooley 6–7 3–5 L Music City
    2011 Derek Dooley 5–7 1–7
    2012 Derek Dooley 5–7 1–7
    2013 Butch Jones 5–7 2–6
    2014 Butch Jones 7–6 3–5 W TaxSlayer
    2015 Butch Jones 9–4 5–3 W Outback 23 22
    2016 Butch Jones 9–4 4–4 W Music City 24 22
    2017 Butch Jones 4–8 0–8
    2018 Jeremy Pruitt 5–7 2–6
    Compare it to Bama from 1993 to 2006, and you clearly see that if Tennessee didn't have a serious instate recruiting problem that puts them in a serious disadvantage.

Tennessee and Nebraska are C level jobs, and will either get C level coaches or coaches that want to leapfrog to a bigger job. These streaks in the rivalry happened because everyone played the same type of football, and it didn't require near as much overall talent on rosters to win championships as it is now. When Miami and Oklahoma reinvented the strategy of football in the 80's, Tennessee was basically on borrowed time until Georgia and Florida caught up. When Spurrier came to Florida, Tennessee was done until they recruited Manning and had one of those lucky seasons under Martin. Since then their success has been based on Bama being put on probation, and Georgia and Florida hiring the wrong coach. When Tennessee is actually competing for state supremacy every year with Vanderbilt then you know the days of continuous relevance are over. The top Tennessee recruit is probably equivalent to the #30 Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Missouri, and California recruit. A team in a recruiting hotbed of a conference, that must recruit nationally to stay relevant is not a team built for success.

So again TSIO will never be a decade of relevance ever again, and the small window of time it is will be based on how far down Alabama is at a given time and how abnormally up Tennessee is at a given time. Otherwise its going to be a game on par with Alabama and Mississippi St.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; August 8th, 2019 at 01:10 PM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I think Lane Kiffin leaving them really took the wind out of their sails. Despite what we know, he's probably been the best coach they've had since Fulmer until now with Pruitt.

BamaNation Second Team

They could surge again. They had periods of success before the Fulmer era. They could get back to that again, but they will have to do it when Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and Florida are not as dominant. I mention those four programs, because those 4 programs are the main players in the currently largest stockpiled recruiting lands in all of America. That's where the ball players are. And, just because Tennessee isn't a great football state, doesn't mean there isn't talent there too, which usually ends up at one of those 4 programs.

Alabama/UGA/LSU/UF will have to have bad recruiting years again before UT becomes a power.