Dabo disses SEC depth - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Re: Dabo disses SEC depth

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    I am tired of Dabo's talk. He could be a 50 point favorite in a National Championship game and 5,999 out of 6,000 "experts" could pick him to win and cover. He will still say "Aw shucks, we just on the ROY bus. Nobody respects us its all Alabama or whatever team he is playing against" And his players and fans will believe it. He can stay at clempson forever.
    This is Dabo's last year on the gravy train.

Right now he's where we were entering 2013. The Play That Shall Not Be Named wouldn't hurt Clemson as bad as it did us because of the playoff - but he's entering that time frame where an injury to a Vinnie Sunseri, Donta Hightower, or Eddie Jackson is potentially lethal.

He's about to have trouble maintaining depth, and he'll eventually lose his assistants, too.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

The ACC is as weak as rain water. Syracuse? Cmon son. Thatís like Bama saying we almost lost to Arkansas. He should know better.

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    This is Dabo's last year on the gravy train.

Right now he's where we were entering 2013. The Play That Shall Not Be Named wouldn't hurt Clemson as bad as it did us because of the playoff - but he's entering that time frame where an injury to a Vinnie Sunseri, Donta Hightower, or Eddie Jackson is potentially lethal.

He's about to have trouble maintaining depth, and he'll eventually lose his assistants, too.
    Yep!
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Here's the question to ask: is he wrong about the depth of the SEC?

"Listen, the SEC is a great conference, but I don't think they've been as deep the last few years. I think they've had two or three really good teams and then it's kind of been hit or miss from there."

I don't think he's wrong by any stretch.

From 2006-2015 (an entire decade), the SEC had a bowl record of 66-32 and won eight national championships (and played in a 9th PLUS had an all-SEC final).

2016 - 6-7
    2017 - 5-6 (okay, UGA was one, but it's still a losing record)
    2018 - 6-6

Keep in mind that that 17-19 bowl record includes a win by 5-7 MSU in 2016.

In 2016, no SEC besides Alabama had FEWER than 4 losses, and every team except UA and Florida had at least 3 conference losses.

In 2017, the SEC was Alabama and UGA and a bunch of four-loss or more teams.

The league was "somewhat" better in 2018 as five teams had 3 or fewer losses, but the reality is that the league isn't the 2006-2013 monster anymore.

The Big 12 has an all-time losing record against the SEC, but they're 9-7 in the last 3 years.
    In the last 3 years, the SEC is 7-5 against the Big Ten. In the previous decade, the SEC was 25-16 (and 24-13 from 2007-15).

The ACC was 10-4 against the SEC in 2016 and 9-13 the past two years to total 19-17 in favor of the ACC.

But in that decade of dominance, the SEC thumped the ACC to the tune of 56-35.

We've gone from a winning pct of .615 to one of below .500 the last three years...despite the ACC being mostly a clown show last year.

The EVIDENCE supports Dabo's contention that the SEC is NOT what it was five years ago.

They've had "two or three really good teams"

I'd say in 2016, there was ONE DOMINANT team and a bunch of mediocrity.
    In 2017, you had Alabama and UGA - and Auburn put together a good half of a season between losing to LSU and then losing to UGA.
    In 2018, you had Alabama and UGA as really dominant teams.....LSU was hit or miss.....as were UF and Kentucky.

Now.....none of this vindicates the ACC in any way, but his comments on the SEC are dead-on accurate.
    My thing is, compare it to the ACC. This is why I donít think he needs to talk. The ACC has been a one trick pony for a loooong time.

BamaNation All-American crimson fan man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    My thing is, compare it to the ACC. This is why I don’t think he needs to talk. The ACC has been a one trick pony for a loooong time.

All He did was take florida st place. Even the same kind of coach talk.

Quote Originally Posted by crimson fan man View Post
    All He did was take florida st place. Even the same kind of coach talk.
    Exactly.

BamaNation First Team

The real question is, how many nfl quality players does Clemson face vs what Alabama does? Even middle of the pack MSU had three first round picks, compare that to Virginia.
    The physicality of play in the sec is second to none.

BamaNation First Team

I am a realist, and I will agree that the SEC is more top heavy now than in the past. But, the ACC is a really weak conference. Ray Charles could see that as a fact.
    I think Dabo needs to learn from Bobby Bowden. I never remember Bowden taking up for the weak ACC. Yes, he promoted Florida State, and had a great team, but it was always about Florida State being great. And, not about the ACC being, well much stronger than a FCS conference. Old Dominion, and East Carolina are regularly either beating, or competing with ACC schools.

BamaNation First Team

I don't know how many NFL players come out of the ACC? But LSU, and Georgia are loaded withe them. Fact.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

TiderinAZ hit on the point that proves Dabo - and, alas, some fellow posters - wrong.

The overall records and bowl records of each conferences are points well-taken, but the quality of lower and mid-tier of the ACC is not as stacked with talent as the SEC. Even when MSU was hanging around at 7-5, they had a handful of players that were NFL talent. They had players who could stack up with our own, many of whom could take our two deep. That's not true for most of the teams in the ACC, and, concerning Michigan and OSU, the same could be said for the Big 10.

Point being that when Alabama or LSU has been good, the rest of the our conference and division has also been good. It's made for a much more physical brand of football which means, yes, our players are dinged up and have more nagging injuries than others. That wasn't our problem in the NC game, but it is part of our experience - would be the same for any other SECW team - that does not quite affect Clemson.

Quote Originally Posted by TiderinAZ View Post
    The real question is, how many nfl quality players does Clemson face vs what Alabama does? Even middle of the pack MSU had three first round picks, compare that to Virginia.
    The physicality of play in the sec is second to none.
    Clemson faced 13 NFL draft picks in the ACC last year. The ACC had 28 picks in all last year, 6 of which came from Clemson.

Meanwhile the SEC had 64 picks, 10 of which came from Alabama. In all, Alabama played 39 NFL draft picks when playing SEC teams.

Matter of fact, Clemson played 10 draft picks when they played Texas A&M and South Carolina. In two games, they played 77% of the NFL draft picks they played in 9 ACC games.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

The real question is, how many nfl quality players does Clemson face vs what Alabama does?
    No, that isn't the question at all....because he wasn't saying, "The ACC is a better league than the SEC."

Even middle of the pack MSU had three first round picks, compare that to Virginia.
    Now, you're citing the same Virginia team that absolutely mauled South Carolina, who had 3 NFL picks, right?

This whole "physicality" argument is literally an exercise in, "Let me throw something out there that cannot be addressed in any measurable way and hope nobody notices."
    Last edited by selmaborntidefan; August 9th, 2019 at 08:18 AM.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rind-wore-bama

...aaaaand it begins...

I like Dabo and truly respect what he has done at Clemson. Methinks he talks too much, though. He's playing to the home crowd who always view themselves with a chip on their shoulder and a chip is what got HIM to where he is (from walkon to head coach and national champ). I get it. But I also tire of it... even if he were correct.
    I don't like him and I think he is a moron. But he's a great recruiter and motivator, and his staff loves him and tends to stay with him.

He's burned all his bridges with me, as an Alabama fan. Never say never, sure, and the hiring of a coach someday is well outside of my hands so its not my decision anyway. But, he's dead to me.