Dabo disses SEC depth - Page 5
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: Dabo disses SEC depth

Quote Originally Posted by TiderinAZ View Post
    I really like Dabo, he’ll always be an Alabama guy to me. But I am curious to see how he coaches as the “front runner”, rather than the underdog. You know the saying “it’s easier to climb the mountain, than it is to stay on top of it”. This is the thing that has impressed me most about cns, his ability to maintain success.
    Dabo struck gold when he was able to get the entire DL to return last year. We've seen what it's like to have a dominant front seven. It covers over a multitude of sins and allows so much flexibility throughout the entire team. I don't care how good the back end of a team's defense is, it doesn't mean a hill of beans if the front seven cannot disrupt the LOS. Clemson's defensive line was an absolute monster of a unit. They would completely wreck offensive lines which basically kills the play shortly after the snap. Add to that Dabo has been able to recruit some of the top talent in the country on both sides of the ball and keep his coaching staff together (which is another "striking gold"). The challenge will be (as it has been for Alabama) can he keep the same level of success once he has that year or years where he's not able to convince the upper classmen to return and he loses four or five key staff members to other jobs? We've seen as the more success you have, it gets harder and harder to keep stability.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; August 9th, 2019 at 03:04 PM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Here's the question to ask: is he wrong about the depth of the SEC?

"Listen, the SEC is a great conference, but I don't think they've been as deep the last few years. I think they've had two or three really good teams and then it's kind of been hit or miss from there."

I don't think he's wrong by any stretch.
    I would agree, but only because the NFL robs us of the depth that we really do have...

Just compare the Draft numbers for both conferences and that is telling...

Note: I didn't research this, but have no doubt that is the case.

Bottom line, Dabo plays in a weak conference and has a great situation. Aside from Clempson, who else has that kind of depth? Same reason that FSU joined that conference and enjoyed their run.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

What's amusing to me is how many people on this board will say they NEVER pull for SEC teams in other games and reference all the Kramer/Fulmer shenanigans and no fair break......but the moment somebody criticizes the conference in any way, they jump up to defend the very conference they profess to despise.

People are funny that way.
    Not me. Dabo is more right than wrong on what he was saying. The SEC isnít a gauntlet of hell to get through anymore. Alabama has been undefeated twice in 3 years with little to no resistance at getting there. The SEC is really becoming the PAC12 of the 2000ís in that itís 1 elite team, 2 good teams, and a bag of mediocrity in a given year.

BamaNation All-American

I must have missed that part where Dabo said anything resembling, "The ACC is better than the SEC."

Can you show me where that is???

Because his exact point is true: the SEC is NOT what it was, plain and simple.

Which would be relevant if he had said the ACC was better. He didn't.

This is irrelevant data.

"Oh, we played more guys who are playing in the NFL than the ACC did" doesn't even touch what he's saying.

South Carolina had 3 NFL picks, UVA had zero.
    UVA 28 USCe 0 on the scoreboard.

What's funny is that this is nothing but an excuse because we lost.

If we had WON the game in January, everyone in Crimson Nation would be blowing the old, "See, they don't play anybody in the regular season and we get ready for those big foes with all those monsters, NFL draft picks, ad nauseum something something."

But since we lost, we simply pivot and say, "Well, they had an easier route to get to the game."

Fact is, the SEC is NOT what it was during the consecutive titles won era, which is all he was saying.
    I'm trying to understand the purpose of your post. So you agree with what he said? Or just simply disagree with some of the responses?

BamaNation All-American

What's amusing to me is how many people on this board will say they NEVER pull for SEC teams in other games and reference all the Kramer/Fulmer shenanigans and no fair break......but the moment somebody criticizes the conference in any way, they jump up to defend the very conference they profess to despise.

People are funny that way.
    Rooting for other SEC teams is far different than having an opinion about the strength that they add to our conference. I despise an SEC team and don't care for a few others, but do they add to the strength of the SEC, you betcha...

Let's see, the SEC West is #1 according to Sagarin and the SEC East is #2. The SEC isn't just the best conference in football, their worst division is better than any other conference's best division!

The ACC Atlantic is 6th and the ACC Coastal is 8th. The MWC Mountain division is 10th, so the ACC is literally closer to being outside of the Power 5 than being on the SEC's level.

The truth is if the Clemson played in a tough conference they might not have even made the playoffs (had some close calls as it was, they almost lost to Texas A&M). The luxury of playing a softer schedule afforded them room to make necessary changes and prepare themselves for the playoffs.

Anyway, how can I conclude that the SEC isn't anything special when they literally have the top two divisions in college football? Just because Alabama is so good doesn't mean those others are so bad... and the stats bear that out.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Why does it seem like some coach every year says this?

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
    Because they do...?

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Not me. Dabo is more right than wrong on what he was saying. The SEC isn’t a gauntlet of hell to get through anymore. Alabama has been undefeated twice in 3 years with little to no resistance at getting there. The SEC is really becoming the PAC12 of the 2000’s in that it’s 1 elite team, 2 good teams, and a bag of mediocrity in a given year.
    I don't know about that. I mean, yea, we have recruited so well over the past 10 years that we are definitely the 500 pound gorilla in the conference much like USC did back in those days. But come on, LSU, TAMU, Georgia and Auburn could all legitimately beat us on a given Saturday. Florida is trending up as is Mizzou. There are some who have fallen way off like the Hogs and Black Bears but, for the most part, the conference is MUCH more of a gauntlet than every other conference except maybe the BIG.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

BamaNation First Team CrimsonTusk's Avatar

I like Dabo but,..... IMHO he needs to be more concerned about the ACC.

BamaNation Second Team

Here's the question to ask: is he wrong about the depth of the SEC?

"Listen, the SEC is a great conference, but I don't think they've been as deep the last few years. I think they've had two or three really good teams and then it's kind of been hit or miss from there."

I don't think he's wrong by any stretch.

From 2006-2015 (an entire decade), the SEC had a bowl record of 66-32 and won eight national championships (and played in a 9th PLUS had an all-SEC final).

2016 - 6-7
    2017 - 5-6 (okay, UGA was one, but it's still a losing record)
    2018 - 6-6

Keep in mind that that 17-19 bowl record includes a win by 5-7 MSU in 2016.

In 2016, no SEC besides Alabama had FEWER than 4 losses, and every team except UA and Florida had at least 3 conference losses.

In 2017, the SEC was Alabama and UGA and a bunch of four-loss or more teams.

The league was "somewhat" better in 2018 as five teams had 3 or fewer losses, but the reality is that the league isn't the 2006-2013 monster anymore.

The Big 12 has an all-time losing record against the SEC, but they're 9-7 in the last 3 years.
    In the last 3 years, the SEC is 7-5 against the Big Ten. In the previous decade, the SEC was 25-16 (and 24-13 from 2007-15).

The ACC was 10-4 against the SEC in 2016 and 9-13 the past two years to total 19-17 in favor of the ACC.

But in that decade of dominance, the SEC thumped the ACC to the tune of 56-35.

We've gone from a winning pct of .615 to one of below .500 the last three years...despite the ACC being mostly a clown show last year.

The EVIDENCE supports Dabo's contention that the SEC is NOT what it was five years ago.

They've had "two or three really good teams"

I'd say in 2016, there was ONE DOMINANT team and a bunch of mediocrity.
    In 2017, you had Alabama and UGA - and Auburn put together a good half of a season between losing to LSU and then losing to UGA.
    In 2018, you had Alabama and UGA as really dominant teams.....LSU was hit or miss.....as were UF and Kentucky.

Now.....none of this vindicates the ACC in any way, but his comments on the SEC are dead-on accurate.
    Well, we can look at bowl game wins/losses all we like but the fact is the SEC puts more teams in bowl games and usually play a higher ranked team when they do.

The big question, and you can pick any time frame. Go back 5, go back 10 and ask yourself what would Clemson's record be if they played Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, TA&M, Florida or even Miss State year end and year out would they ever have made it to a championship game and I think the answer to that is an emphatic NO. Even teams not in my list like Missouri, Ole Miss and even Arkansas have had teams more than capable of beating Clemson during those time frames.

The ACC had two teams with 10 or more wins and their only 9-4 team lost to Texas A&M by 39. Meanwhile the SEC had 5 10 or more win teams, 1 9-4, and 3 8 win teams. Bear in mind that most of those losses and thus not wins were against other SEC opponents and I doubt many teams, including Clemson, would want to play those 9 teams on a regular basis.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    I don't know about that. I mean, yea, we have recruited so well over the past 10 years that we are definitely the 500 pound gorilla in the conference much like USC did back in those days. But come on, LSU, TAMU, Georgia and Auburn could all legitimately beat us on a given Saturday. Florida is trending up as is Mizzou. There are some who have fallen way off like the Hogs and Black Bears but, for the most part, the conference is MUCH more of a gauntlet than every other conference except maybe the BIG.
    LSU- hasnít beaten us since 2011 and has been shutout 3 times in that time period

UGA- hasnít beaten us since 2007, and have 2 blowouts in that time period

TAMU- hasnít beaten us since 2012 and every game since has been a butt whooping

Auburn- fine, everytime Gus needs to get off the hot seat he winds up with that crazy season. But itís not a normal occurrence since Saban has taken over that the game is close.

The SEC season since 2012 hasnít been about Alabama worrying about losing games in conference. Sure every 3 years they slip up and Auburn or UGA wins one. We have won 12, 14,15,16,18. In that time period we have lost 5 conference games. We have lost 4 OOC games in that time period. Since Alabama vanquished LSU in 2011 the SEC hasnít had a true challenger year in year out to Alabama. Clemson has been far more of a challenger than ANYONE in the SEC.

But Daboís Point was more to say Alabama only had 1 competitive game all year, but everyone wants to act like it was such a challenge to get into the playoffs. Our season was ďbeat UGA and you are inĒ, but a lot of people try to act like the SECW + Tennessee was such an obstacle to overcome when Alabama was blasting all of those teams by 30,40, and 50 points. He wasnít saying ACC=SEC. He was more saying ďstop making excuses for getting your butt kicked by a more focused and better coached teamĒ. Alabama didnít lose to Clemson because of the schedule, they lost because we had bad position coaches and a highly unfocused team playing the best team they played all year.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; August 9th, 2019 at 04:41 PM.

But Dabo’s Point was more to say Alabama only had 1 competitive game all year, but everyone wants to act like it was such a challenge to get into the playoffs.
    I think you're missing a vital point - it's not how badly we whip inferior teams, it's that even in victory, our guys take a bigger beating because they're playing premium talent week in and out. While Clemson is play it's AAC-like schedule (it's ironic the conference abbreviations are so close), Bama is blowing out, but getting beat on by seriously talented teams week in and out. Just look at the NFL draft numbers above - and if you remove the two SEC teams Clemson played last year, they hardly played anyone who will be playing on Sundays this fall.

There's ZERO question the SEC has loads of better players than the ACC, and that's the point. Point margin isn't the issue, the physical toll is...

Which is why Dabo is a flipping idiot.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

LSU- hasn’t beaten us since 2011 and has been shutout 3 times in that time period

UGA- hasn’t beaten us since 2007, and have 2 blowouts in that time period

TAMU- hasn’t beaten us since 2012 and every game since has been a butt whooping

Auburn- fine, everytime Gus needs to get off the hot seat he winds up with that crazy season. But it’s not a normal occurrence since Saban has taken over that the game is close.

The SEC season since 2012 hasn’t been about Alabama worrying about losing games in conference. Sure every 3 years they slip up and Auburn or UGA wins one. We have won 12, 14,15,16,18. In that time period we have lost 5 conference games. We have lost 4 OOC games in that time period. Since Alabama vanquished LSU in 2011 the SEC hasn’t had a true challenger year in year out to Alabama. Clemson has been far more of a challenger than ANYONE in the SEC.

But Dabo’s Point was more to say Alabama only had 1 competitive game all year, but everyone wants to act like it was such a challenge to get into the playoffs. Our season was “beat UGA and you are in”, but a lot of people try to act like the SECW + Tennessee was such an obstacle to overcome when Alabama was blasting all of those teams by 30,40, and 50 points. He wasn’t saying ACC=SEC. He was more saying “stop making excuses for getting your butt kicked by a more focused and better coached team”. Alabama didn’t lose to Clemson because of the schedule, they lost because we had bad position coaches and a highly unfocused team playing the best team they played all year.
    Your points are all well taken. But, as a Tide fan, I can tell you that I was on the edge of my seat for every one of those games. We peeked at LSU last year and beat a pretty good team. Miss St. the next week had us on the ropes late into that game. I thought Georgia had us beat. No one here is making excuses about getting it handed to us last year in the National Championship Game either. We lost to the better team that day. That was their '92 Bama-Miami moment. But Dabo does run off a the mouth at times and I am not a Dabo hater. In fact I am glad he makes these bone headed arguments because it provides the opportunity for fans like you and I to discuss it. But it is sheer nonsense and laughable what he is suggesting. That is just my opinion but one I believe in.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda