Dabo disses SEC depth - Page 6
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Re: Dabo disses SEC depth

Clemson played the national champioship game with a chip on their shoulders from the beat down Bama put on them in the semi the year before and played their best game of the season that night! Bama was the best team in the nation for almost the entire year that I seen play period.

Would Clemson had fared the same against Bama's schedule last season? I don't think so. They should have lost at A&M! Georgia and Oklahoma both were better teams than anyone Clemson played before the championship game and on any given day could have beaten Clemson. Just so happens the one day Clemson plays Bama, Clemson was the better team.

No one believes Clemson's path back to the playoff is as hard as Bama's, no one!! Dabo has put together a great team and program at Clemson and will be the ACC's bell cow like Florida State once was for years to come. They are going to win their share but Bama will too and probably Georgia.

At least my favorite team is at the top of the mountain looking down on the rest of the country with Clemson and probably Georgia! The four team playoff at least gives another team or two a chance to break through and join the top but the odds are long....at least until the next expansion!! I am ready for some college football!!! Losing a championship game and the bad taste that leaves in your mouth for months will finally be exorcised with a big win against Duke a fellow Clemson ACC team.

Have any of you looked at Clemson's schedule?

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I think you're missing a vital point - it's not how badly we whip inferior teams, it's that even in victory, our guys take a bigger beating because they're playing premium talent week in and out. While Clemson is play it's AAC-like schedule (it's ironic the conference abbreviations are so close), Bama is blowing out, but getting beat on by seriously talented teams week in and out. Just look at the NFL draft numbers above - and if you remove the two SEC teams Clemson played last year, they hardly played anyone who will be playing on Sundays this fall.

There's ZERO question the SEC has loads of better players than the ACC, and that's the point. Point margin isn't the issue, the physical toll is...

Which is why Dabo is a flipping idiot.
    This isnít an ACC vs SEC argument that he is making, this is a ďAlabama fans canít accept that Clemson kicked their buttĒ argument. Alabama had a whole month to rest up from the tolls of the regular season. We lost the game because of a lack of focus and poor coaching not because we had a murderous road compared to Clemson. If he was to say the SEC was equal or less than the ACC then you have a point, but he didnít. He was saying that if Alabama was really that good then they wouldnít have gotten trounced by Clemson.

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

8/29 Georgia Tech
    09/07 Texas A&M
    09/14 @Syracuse
    09/21 Charlotte
    09/28 @North Carolina
    10/12 Florida State
    10/19 @Louisville
    10/26 Boston College
    11/02 Wofford
    11/09 @NC State
    11/16 Wake Forest
    11/30 @South Carolina
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    This isn’t an ACC vs SEC argument that he is making, this is a “Alabama fans can’t accept that Clemson kicked their butt” argument.
    Wrong, absolutely incorrect.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    Wrong, absolutely incorrect.
    I donít remember anyone from Florida saying they were too tired to play Nebraska in 95, and the fact of schedules was the reason for the spanking in Arizona. Nor do I see any Alabama fan letting LSU fans use the ď we had the hardest schedule in the nation and played an extra gameĒ argument for 2011.

At some point you have to let Dabo have his day and accept that 2019 Alabama wasnít a national championship team. And at some point you have to accept the schedule wasnít one of the main reasons why that Alabama team got skunked.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; August 9th, 2019 at 06:17 PM.

TIFWIW, but average ranking of the other nine PAC10 teams in 2004 was 44.9 while the average ranking of the other 13 SEC teams in 2018 was 34.1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American

This isn’t an ACC vs SEC argument that he is making, this is a “Alabama fans can’t accept that Clemson kicked their butt” argument. Alabama had a whole month to rest up from the tolls of the regular season. We lost the game because of a lack of focus and poor coaching not because we had a murderous road compared to Clemson. If he was to say the SEC was equal or less than the ACC then you have a point, but he didn’t. He was saying that if Alabama was really that good then they wouldn’t have gotten trounced by Clemson.
    You are completely missing the point by saying that Dabo was referring to the Bama fans or any other fans for that matter. He was referring to the media who has occasionally made mention of this. In fact, Bama fans have rarely initiated this point. Mike Griffith and others have.

Also, he was not dissing Bama by implying that they were not that good. In fact, he was praising how good Bama was by beating the rest of the SEC by such wide margins. He was saying how could they be "tired" if they were blowing everyone out.

My only disagreement with him is that last year the SEC is close to what they were in the past years, it was just that Alabama was so superior offensively that they crushed every other SEC team except UGA. Brent Venables has said that what they/Clemson did was phenomenal because Bama was the best offensive team that he had ever seen.

(The media itself, as usual, has been a primary culprit by insinuating that the Alabama program and/or fans have offered this as an excuse when they were the culpable ones. I've seen totally fraudulent headlines.)

Btw, just for completeness of thought: Clemson was the better team that night, Bama was out coached and out played. It was easily the most embarrassing performance by a Nick Saban team at Alabama. Worse than Utah and USCe, worse than any game in 2007. The team was punched in the mouth and essentially wilted, then quit. It was shocking and sickening. We agree on those more important things. Just hope the program can recover from a heretofore unseen performance.
    Last edited by BamaInBham; August 9th, 2019 at 06:37 PM.

BamaNation Second Team

LSU- hasnít beaten us since 2011 and has been shutout 3 times in that time period

UGA- hasnít beaten us since 2007, and have 2 blowouts in that time period

TAMU- hasnít beaten us since 2012 and every game since has been a butt whooping
    So what. None of that makes those teams not good teams or close to elite teams. We've had long runs against good teams back in the old days as well. We had 10 year runs on Tennessee, Auburn and just about everybody else back in the 70's. They still had good teams during those years.

This isn’t an ACC vs SEC argument that he is making, this is a “Alabama fans can’t accept that Clemson kicked their butt” argument. Alabama had a whole month to rest up from the tolls of the regular season. We lost the game because of a lack of focus and poor coaching not because we had a murderous road compared to Clemson. If he was to say the SEC was equal or less than the ACC then you have a point, but he didn’t. He was saying that if Alabama was really that good then they wouldn’t have gotten trounced by Clemson.
    I'll repost his quote:

"Listen, the SEC is a great conference, but I don't think they've been as deep the last few years. I think they've had two or three really good teams and then it's kind of been hit or miss from there. It's an awesome league, for sure, and I know people say that Alabama was tired because they went through the grind and had to play all these teams," Swinney told ESPN, discussing a narrative he has heard mostly in media circles. "Well, they won by an average of 33.1 points per game [going into the playoff], so they ought to be well-rested."
    It's obvious he's dismissing the strength of Bama's schedule vs Clemson's, which is an absolute joke.

Kinda like his logic.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

I’ll ask the question again...Which schedule would you rather play?

Quote Originally Posted by The Ols View Post
    I’ll ask the question again...Which schedule would you rather play?
    Alabamaís. No blue font at all.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Alabamaís. No blue font at all.
    Sigh

BamaNation All-American

I do think the SEC was down last year, but still light years ahead of the ACC. But when the lights came on, Clemson whupped us.