Dabo disses SEC depth

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
How is South Carolina one of Clemson's two toughest games?

2018 Clemson 56 South Carolina 35....Boston College, Syracuse, Tex Am were all tougher games
2017 Clemson 34 South Carolina 10 it was 34-0 at end of 3rd quarter and the dogs were called off. Several ACC teams played Clemson tougher and one of them beat Clemson that year.
2016 Clemson 56 South Carolina 7... Almost every game Clemson played that year was tougher.

Clemson leads the series with South Carolina 70-42-4. Prior to our current five straight, they won five straight, but just prior to that Clemson had won 6 of 7 and 10 of 12. What in the world qualifies South Carolina as one of our two toughest games? South Carolina's run defense last year was among the worst we played all year. Georgia Tech would have run the option for 50 plus on them. Virginia blew them out 28-0! Virginia was a mid to lower Coastal Division team.
Seriously? We are talking about the 2019 season. Those are clearly your 2 toughest opponents this year.

Clemson81to85

Aug 26, 2017
Well, we can look at bowl game wins/losses all we like but the fact is the SEC puts more teams in bowl games and usually play a higher ranked team when they do.

The big question, and you can pick any time frame. Go back 5, go back 10 and ask yourself what would Clemson's record be if they played Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, TA&M, Florida or even Miss State year end and year out would they ever have made it to a championship game and I think the answer to that is an emphatic NO. Even teams not in my list like Missouri, Ole Miss and even Arkansas have had teams more than capable of beating Clemson during those time frames.

The ACC had two teams with 10 or more wins and their only 9-4 team lost to Texas A&M by 39. Meanwhile the SEC had 5 10 or more win teams, 1 9-4, and 3 8 win teams. Bear in mind that most of those losses and thus not wins were against other SEC opponents and I doubt many teams, including Clemson, would want to play those 9 teams on a regular basis.
In 2016, ACC runner-up, FSU beat Michigan in the Orange Bowl and the ACC was 9-3 in bowls and 10-4 vs the SEC. At the end of 2017, Wake Forest beat Tex AM in a bowl game. Yes, that Wake Forest.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In 2016, ACC runner-up, FSU beat Michigan in the Orange Bowl and the ACC was 9-3 in bowls and 10-4 vs the SEC. At the end of 2017, Wake Forest beat Tex AM in a bowl game. Yes, that Wake Forest.
The same 2017 TAMU team that had its coach fired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clemson81to85

Aug 26, 2017
I understand Tex AM will be, but what in the world qualifies South Carolina for the second spot? Traditionally Syracuse, Georgia Tech, NC State are tougher than Scar, not to mention FSU, Virginia Tech. Prior last year, South Carolina would be below Boston College, FSU, Georgia Tech, Louisville, NC State, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Virginia.
In 2016, we lost to Pitt and went to overtime with NC State, beat FSU by 3, then beat South Carolina 56-7
In 2017, we lost to Syracuse, beat NC State by 7, Auburn by 8, Va Tech by 14, Wake by 14, Ga Tech by 14 and had South Carolina 34-0 at the end of the 3rd quarter and then played everyone.
last year we had 744 total yards vs SC and 351 yards rushing. I just don't get what South Carolina has done in the off season to jump everyone and become our second toughest game.

I'm actually glad Scar gave us a game for a little while last year. Although the game was never in doubt as we led by two to three touchdowns for most of the game, it was a wake-up call for our secondary. Venables lit into them the next day and following week. Venables said he was embarrassed and I really think the poor performance by the secondary, on that night, was the reason we played so well in the secondary in the post season. They knew Venables was ....ed off at them.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is not that SCarolina is great, it is the fact that the rest of the ACC is horrible this year. Seriously, will any team in the conference other than Clemson be ranked at the end of the season? Maybe. Maybe.

Many teams on Alabama's schedule will be ranked at the end of the season. No maybe about it. That is the point.

Clemson81to85

Aug 26, 2017
It is not that SCarolina is great, it is the fact that the rest of the ACC is horrible this year. Seriously, will any team in the conference other than Clemson be ranked at the end of the season? Maybe. Maybe.

Many teams on Alabama's schedule will be ranked at the end of the season. No maybe about it. That is the point.

The point I'm making is South Carolina won't be any better than the other teams on lour schedule. Why do they get the second toughest position? Even last year, with the ACC really down, they weren't the second toughest team, 741 total yards? 351 rushing yards? Last time at their place literally 34-0 at end of third and we cleared the bench. If South Carolina's run defense is no better that it was when we played them, Alabama will rush for 450 yards in Columbia.

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
There are no points. "points" are derived from rhetoric, which in turn creates more "points".

The only thing that matters is what occurs head to head.

End of story.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
How many SEC teams would be favored to go undefeated against Clemson’s ACC schedule, Dabo?
about 3. Most SEC schools can find a way to lose games they have no business losing. So really other than Alabama and Georgia, I really have no faith that many could find a way not to lose atleast 1 game with even Clemson's schedule.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There are no points. "points" are derived from rhetoric, which in turn creates more "points".

The only thing that matters is what occurs head to head.

End of story.
Okay then, let's cancel the season and Alabama/Clemson play for it all on Labor Day weekend!

Every game matters in college football. To get to a CFP rematch, Alabama has to get through the SEC. That is a tough row to hoe. Clemson just has to keep the wheels from falling off while playing what appears to be a very soft schedule.

I do agree that the ACC could be tougher than they look. You never know until the games get played. But on paper, the ACC looks to be the weakest P5 conference this year. Take Clemson out of the conference and no one would watch a game.

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
Okay then, let's cancel the season and Alabama/Clemson play for it all on Labor Day weekend!

Every game matters in college football. To get to a CFP rematch, Alabama has to get through the SEC. That is a tough row to hoe. Clemson just has to keep the wheels from falling off while playing what appears to be a very soft schedule.

I do agree that the ACC could be tougher than they look. You never know until the games get played. But on paper, the ACC looks to be the weakest P5 conference this year. Take Clemson out of the conference and no one would watch a game.

I'm not, nor have ever been, a drinker of ESPN's conference mantra koolaid.

Obviously, you are.

Geez, you play the games, you see who wins.................that's it.

All this gnashing of teeth in attempt to figure out the underlying causes of a football game is ridiculous.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

I really hope the ACC gets better so Clemson has a better chance to lose. Their schedule is a joke. I would like to see them play LSU and Georgia each year. When I tell my Clemson friends their schedule is easy, they reply that so is ours. Our out of conference schedule is easy (usually) but just playing in the SEC West is difficult.. winning the SEC is even harder. I don't see the ACC getting much better for awhile, and don't see the SEC getting any easier.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm not, nor have ever been, a drinker of ESPN's conference mantra koolaid.

Obviously, you are.

Geez, you play the games, you see who wins.................that's it.

All this gnashing of teeth in attempt to figure out the underlying causes of a football game is ridiculous.
What about Jeff Sagarin's conference/division rankings? Probably not if I had to guess.

1 SEC-WEST
2 SEC-EAST
3 BIG TEN-EAST
4 PAC-12(NORTH)
5 BIG 12
6 ACC-ATLANTIC
7 BIG TEN-WEST
8 ACC-COASTAL
9 PAC-12(SOUTH)
10 MWC-MOUNTAIN

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
Conference things are for you.

My concern is for one school.

We disagree. No biggie.

I'm just ready for the season to get going.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Conference things are for you.

My concern is for one school.

We disagree. No biggie.

I'm just ready for the season to get going.
Clemson has something great going right now. We are not knocking Clemson. About 10 days until the first game kicks off.

Animal

Sep 7, 2018
Considering he was only playing a second rate SEC team that didn't amount to much, Dabo sure looked like he was about to "pass Masonry" before the refs bailed him out in College Station....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Considering he was only playing a second rate SEC team that didn't amount to much, Dabo sure looked like he was about to "pass Masonry" before the refs bailed him out in College Station....
To be fair, Bryant was the QB in that game. If Clemson had played aTm later in the season, Clemson would have killed them.

Animal

Sep 7, 2018
To be fair, Bryant was the QB in that game. If Clemson had played aTm later in the season, Clemson would have killed them.
To be fair it was only A&M's second game of the year as well and Lawrence was on the bench over there, so if their best QB was on the bench who's fault is that?

And oh yeah, Lawrence did come in the game and went 5/9 with 1 TD.....

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.