Southwest pilot brings father's remains home from Vietnam 52 years later
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Southwest pilot brings father's remains home from Vietnam 52 years later

Saw this on World News Tonight and thought it was worth sharing.....

Airport Terminal Comes to Standstill as Remains of Hero Vietnam War Pilot Return Home

Roy A. Knight, Jr., who was killed during the Vietnam War, was accounted for June 4, 2019. (Image: Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency)

https://twitter.com/abc/status/https://twitter.com/JProskowGlobal/status/1159545484240969729

"Old dog - new tricks"

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Re: Southwest pilot brings father's remains home from Vietnam 52 years later

What a poignant story. He brought his Daddy home.

Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Thats crazy. Saw it on the news tonight.

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro

Colonel Knight flew the A-1 Skyraider, single engine propeller search and rescue aircraft, great plane, tough mission.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/602n...tions_Squadron
    "Old dog - new tricks"

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Thanks Bazz, bittersweet story of father and son. Not that it matters now, but I will always believe the U.S. Government abandoned the 2000+ POWs and MIAs left behind in Southeast Asia. The families of these servicemen need answers to find closure after all these years.
    Last edited by GrayTide; August 9th, 2019 at 11:16 AM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American Tide Rev's Avatar

I loved this story.

Here's the followup, very good.

Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Sure is lanky for a fighter pilot. Neat thread. I'm not sure why it's on this board...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Sure is lanky for a fighter pilot. Neat thread. I'm not sure why it's on this board...
    Where should it be?

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Where should it be?
    LOL! It was on the politics board before I moved it. I couldn't see anything political or controversial about it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Where should it be?
    LOL! It was on the politics board before I moved it. I couldn't see anything political or controversial about it...
    I started this thread on the NS- Politics forum because of the Vietnam War content - thinking war was political in nature and there is always controversy involved with war.

However.......because the theme of the thread was not about the war itself - but rather a human interest story within' the context of the Vietnam War....it probably belongs where it is now - where Earle moved it - from NS Politics to NS Non-politics.

Perfect example is Crimson Audio's excellent thread chronicling WWII - also located in NS - Non-political.

Now if I could just get seebell to stop posting humour in the photo thread......
    "Old dog - new tricks"

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Colonel Knight flew the A-1 Skyraider, single engine propeller search and rescue aircraft, great plane, tough mission.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/602n...tions_Squadron
    It was really an attack aircraft, not a S&R. As you can see, that one is armed to the teeth...

Ahh, either I missed that or joined it after you moved it, LOL.