Firefighters Set Up A Ladder To Help Raccoons Escape Warehouse Fire - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation All-American crimson fan man's Avatar

Re: Firefighters Set Up A Ladder To Help Raccoons Escape Warehouse Fire

Whats so wild about them is I have seen one climb a brick wall. Their ability to climb is one of the things that makes a raccoon such a pest.

Quote Originally Posted by crimson fan man View Post
    Whats so wild about them is I have seen one climb a brick wall. Their ability to climb is one of the things that makes a raccoon such a pest.
    That and their strength is unreal. They didn't like my attempts to bar them from the attic, so they just took the heavy aluminum frame around a roof window and just bent it back. It would have been difficult to do with a crowbar...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    That and their strength is unreal. They didn't like my attempts to bar them from the attic, so they just took the heavy aluminum frame around a roof window and just bent it back. It would have been difficult to do with a crowbar...
    You sure it was a raccoon?

"Old dog - new tricks"

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    You sure it was a raccoon?

I honestly think the adults are stronger than a human. The flashing actually had tooth marks which no human ever had. She was determined to get back to her nest site in the attic she'd occupied the year before. They have been known to simply go straight down through the shingles and decking, making an access hole...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

I honestly think the adults are stronger than a human. The flashing actually had tooth marks which no human ever had. She was determined to get back to her nest site in the attic she'd occupied the year before. They have been known to simply go straight down through the shingles and decking, making an access hole...
    No doubt. I'll try to post a pic later, but I have found in my yard several marrow bones (the ones you get for your dog to chew on) that are scored with teeth marks all over - very Jurassic in appearance. Always wondered what type of animal was responsible for those. Maybe raccoons (?) There are also reportedly Coyotes in our area, although I've never seen any myself.
    "Old dog - new tricks"

No doubt. I'll try to post a pic later, but I have found in my yard several marrow bones (the ones you get for your dog to chew on) that are scored with teeth marks all over - very Jurassic in appearance. Always wondered what type of animal was responsible for those. Maybe raccoons (?) There are also reportedly Coyotes in our area, although I've never seen any myself.
    I think coyotes are now ubiquitous in the SE. The issue is really density now. I'm surrounded on my mountaintop by thousands of acres of protected woodland, so I have a high density of both deer and coyotes, or, more probably, coy-dogs. All that said, the most probably bone-attacker was a coon...

I think coyotes are now ubiquitous in the SE. The issue is really density now. I'm surrounded on my mountaintop by thousands of acres of protected woodland, so I have a high density of both deer and coyotes, or, more probably, coy-dogs. All that said, the most probably bone-attacker was a coon...
    You are probably right.

Here is a pic of one of the bones from earlier this year. I've found a couple more since.

"Old dog - new tricks"

You are probably right.

Here is a pic of one of the bones from earlier this year. I've found a couple more since.

I would guess coon...

BamaNation Hall of Fame

You are probably right.

I'm guessing squirrels. Do you have squirrels around?

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    I'm guessing squirrels. Do you have squirrels around?
    Well......I refer to them as "The Brigade".....if that answers your question (Do we have squirrels around?)

I don't know though that they would spend that much time gnawing away on a big bone like that - I think Earle is right about it being raccoons. But I'm no expert or anything. Would be interesting to set up one of my trail cams....if I really cared enough to investigate further - which I don't.
    "Old dog - new tricks"

Well......I refer to them as "The Brigade".....if that answers your question (Do we have squirrels around?)

I don't know though that they would spend that much time gnawing away on a big bone like that - I think Earle is right about it being raccoons. But I'm no expert or anything. Would be interesting to set up one of my trail cams....if I really cared enough to investigate further - which I don't.
    I watch our resident coon leave every AM around 4:00. A couple of days ago, she had another adult with her and I had the thought that that might mean more coons. It is fascinating, though, watching the coyotes and the deer, which follow the same paths. The coyotes are dog hybrids and plenty big enough to take down a yearling. In fact, they're big enough for two of them to take down an adult doe. There'll be a lot of traffic and then a month or so with almost none. I can't help trying to figure out the variables. Of course, the cameras are there anyway. I do have a game camera and I have one of the Arlo security cameras mounted on a tripod to move it around...

BamaNation Hall of Fame

But we care!