Russia-linked Twitter Accounts Promoted 'Doxxing' Over Racial Tension Videos

Russia-linked Twitter Accounts Promoted 'Doxxing' Over Racial Tension Videos

Link

In October 2018, a cellphone video of a Brooklyn woman calling 911 to claim a 9-year-old black boy grabbed her rear went viral on social media, becoming one of a series of videos that activists and journalists seized upon as an example of the everyday racism faced by minorities in America.

That woman became known as “Cornerstore Caroline.” Other individuals who became the subjects of similar stories would be known by nicknames such as “Basketball Becky” or “Taco Truck Tammy.”

Now, Clemson University researchers have found those videos received instrumental early social media promotion from inauthentic accounts, some of which have since been removed by Twitter and linked by U.S. intelligence to Russia’s efforts to stoke racial tensions in America.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Re: Russia-linked Twitter Accounts Promoted 'Doxxing' Over Racial Tension Videos

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    They really know our Achilles' Heels, don't they?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Re: Russia-linked Twitter Accounts Promoted 'Doxxing' Over Racial Tension Videos

They know what buttons to push.

"Old dog - new tricks"

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    In one study I read, Russian fake Facebook accounts established a bogus group "Texans for Law Enforcement," (or something like that) and created a rally in Dallas, ostensibly in support of law enforcement, and got Texans to agree to go to the "rally." Then the same IP address in St. Petersburg organized a Black Lives Matter counter-rally at the same time and at the same place, hoping a violent clash would erupt.

The Russian stereotype of America is that it is a violent race war just waiting to happen and they go about trying to egg one on.
    This is rich since Russians are some of the most racist people I have interacted with. I knew a black female major assigned as a Liaison Officer with the Russian parachute brigade working for the US 1st Infantry Division in Bosnia. Her Russian was pretty good. Russian paras called her "monkey whore" to her face. Nice.