The University of Alabama and changing times - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: The University of Alabama and changing times

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Seebell,
    I'm sorry. I posted it (and I believed it to be true), but I have not been able to find a link. This may be internet legend.

From "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence"......

"Old dog - new tricks"

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    they cannot.

link

and

link
    That really doesn't answer the question. Mentions repayment but not exemptions-or lack thereof- from bankruptcy. I Googled all that before I posted. I'm not as dumb as people think I am. But Bless your heart for the attempt!! I hate that phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide_21 View Post
    It is more misinformation from FB-

https://www.factcheck.org/2011/01/co...student-loans/

Anyone can discharge student loans after being in repayment for 7 years. You have to prove it causes “undo hardship.” Yeah, good luck with that. In other words, you don’t stand a snowball’s chance getting them discharged.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfri...student-loans/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I managed to get one discharged. He was on total disability for chronic Lymes, diabetes, and other medical problems and was on MediCal. He's unfortunately dead now...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    That really doesn't answer the question. Mentions repayment but not exemptions-or lack thereof- from bankruptcy. I Googled all that before I posted. I'm not as dumb as people think I am. But Bless your heart for the attempt!! I hate that phrase.

Whoa, cowboy there are many on here who would respectfully disagree.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Whoa, cowboy there are many on here who would respectfully disagree.
    another name added to my doo-doo list!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    like so many of these things, it started as a lie on fox news and spread from there.
    he confusion appears to stem from remarks Fox News political contributor Dick Morris made Aug. 23, 2010, (a Monday) on "The Sean Hannity Show." Morris misrepresented the student loan repayment program, and then his comment was further distorted by the viral e-mail and those who passed it along as fact.....

Morris: Do you know — my wife Eileen just told me yesterday that staff in the House of Representatives and in the Senate do not pay student loans back? The government pays it for them?

Hannity: I didn’t know that.

Morris: The House of Representatives last year spent $25 million paying the salary, student loans of their staffers.
    Would it be fair to sat Dick stuck his foot in his mouth? He does have a history of doing this sort of thing.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

UA exists as a place for non-Southerners to larp as Southerners for four or more years.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

"You Can't Go Home Again". People and places never stay the same. We are all nostalgic for the way things used to be in our college days or in our early adulthood. I went back to my college town 15 years after I graduated. I remarked to a buddy that the coeds looked like junior high students. He said" yep the coeds are too young for us, it's their mommas we would be after now."

I grew up in Huntsville, Alabama. It has changed quite a bit. All the schools I went to no longer exist. Most of the small Mom and Pop stores I shopped at are no more. University drive used to be almost out in the country, now it's wall to wall shopping and traffic bumper to bumper. I guess that's progress.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

"You Can't Go Home Again". People and places never stay the same. We are all nostalgic for the way things used to be in our college days or in our early adulthood. I went back to my college town 15 years after I graduated. I remarked to a buddy that the coeds looked like junior high students. He said" yep the coeds are too young for us, it's their mommas we would be after now."

I grew up in Huntsville, Alabama. It has changed quite a bit. All the schools I went to no longer exist. Most of the small Mom and Pop stores I shopped at are no more. University drive used to be almost out in the country, now it's wall to wall shopping and traffic bumper to bumper. I guess that's progress.
    It would now be their grandmothers.
    Last edited by GrayTide; August 15th, 2019 at 05:24 AM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

One of my favourite song lyrics......and it applies to many of my old haunts:

"They paved paradise...and put up a parking lot."
    ~ Joni Mitchell

Progress my arse!
    "Old dog - new tricks"