The University of Alabama and changing times

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Pretty much how I feel also. I romanticize often about the great times, places, and people I shared those days with as an undergraduate in Tuscaloosa. It was one of the most enjoyable times of my life, but it was a different time and place and most of those people I have never seen since graduation. The University of Alabama in my heart and memory no longer exists, that, to me, is sad, but it is life. We have friends in Tuscaloosa that we visit each fall when we attend the once a year game. I always look forward to that trip, but know I will be disappointed with what the University has become and, the total commercialization of the "game day experience". On our Sunday drive home after the game, I always ask my wife, "why in the hell do we do this every year knowing how we will feel for weeks after the trip". Maybe some day I will finally accept the fact that "you can never go home again".
To quote an old country song (Tracy Lawrence's) "Time Marches On". What you're talking about happens to every generation in dang near every aspect of life. I used to hear my dad (when I was kid) talk about missing the shops that sold malts, root beer/"coke" floats, candy for a penny etc. I had no idea what he was talking about except when I was able to watch the Andy Griffith Show and Opie would go to the "Soda Shop" and I could see what "Daddy" was talking about. Fast forward over 30 years later. I'm now beginning to experience what my Dad did with my kids and today's culture. There are some things that I experienced in my childhood my kids will never get to experience. And the very few things that are still around that I enjoyed as a kid they care nothing about. I'm sure in 30 years (as I did with my dad), they will be in my shoes with their kids.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Those people can bankrupt. You can't bankrupt out of student loans, which is a disgrace to the legal system, brought in to benefit the lenders like Betsy...
Biden was one of the key sponsors of that legislation--Warren is starting to make it an issue:

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) was the first Democratic 2020 hopeful to take a direct swing at former Vice President Joe Biden since he got into the race, accusing him of being “on the side of the credit companies” in a fight that launched her political career a decade ago.

Warren’s quarrel with Biden isn’t personal. It’s about a 2005 bankruptcy bill he supported as a senator. Warren opposed the bill so vehemently that its passage inspired her transition from a Harvard bankruptcy law professor, who studied middle-class economics, to a senator and now a presidential hopeful.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
couldn't even get my daughter to consider Bama

I didn't try all that hard for the record. I am done with sending them money and have been for some time.
Same here. Hell, for a while I was resigned to her attending the Barn--she finally decided on UAB. Granted, Bama didn't have the major she wanted, but still, I haven't been happy with the direction the university has made over the past few decades.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
There are some things that I experienced in my childhood my kids will never get to experience.
Like spending time to make the PERFECT mix tape that you just know will make that girl you like completely change how she sees you.

Not speaking from experience or anything. Totally saw this on Saved by the Bell.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Can some one please post a link showing that children of congress can discharge student loans by bankruptcy. I am skeptical.
Seebell,
I'm sorry. I posted it (and I believed it to be true), but I have not been able to find a link. This may be internet legend.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
they cannot.

link

and

link
That really doesn't answer the question. Mentions repayment but not exemptions-or lack thereof- from bankruptcy. I Googled all that before I posted. I'm not as dumb as people think I am.:) But Bless your heart for the attempt!!:biggrin: I hate that phrase.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It is more misinformation from FB-

https://www.factcheck.org/2011/01/congress-not-exempt-from-student-loans/

Anyone can discharge student loans after being in repayment for 7 years. You have to prove it causes “undo hardship.” Yeah, good luck with that. In other words, you don’t stand a snowball’s chance getting them discharged.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2018/06/18/bankruptcy-student-loans/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I managed to get one discharged. He was on total disability for chronic Lymes, diabetes, and other medical problems and was on MediCal. He's unfortunately dead now...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
That really doesn't answer the question. Mentions repayment but not exemptions-or lack thereof- from bankruptcy. I Googled all that before I posted. I'm not as dumb as people think I am.:) But Bless your heart for the attempt!!:biggrin: I hate that phrase.

Whoa, cowboy there are many on here who would respectfully disagree.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
like so many of these things, it started as a lie on fox news and spread from there.
he confusion appears to stem from remarks Fox News political contributor Dick Morris made Aug. 23, 2010, (a Monday) on "The Sean Hannity Show." Morris misrepresented the student loan repayment program, and then his comment was further distorted by the viral e-mail and those who passed it along as fact.....

Morris: Do you know — my wife Eileen just told me yesterday that staff in the House of Representatives and in the Senate do not pay student loans back? The government pays it for them?

Hannity: I didn’t know that.

Morris: The House of Representatives last year spent $25 million paying the salary, student loans of their staffers.
Would it be fair to sat Dick stuck his foot in his mouth? He does have a history of doing this sort of thing.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
"You Can't Go Home Again". People and places never stay the same. We are all nostalgic for the way things used to be in our college days or in our early adulthood. I went back to my college town 15 years after I graduated. I remarked to a buddy that the coeds looked like junior high students. He said" yep the coeds are too young for us, it's their mommas we would be after now."

I grew up in Huntsville, Alabama. It has changed quite a bit. All the schools I went to no longer exist. Most of the small Mom and Pop stores I shopped at are no more. University drive used to be almost out in the country, now it's wall to wall shopping and traffic bumper to bumper. I guess that's progress.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
"You Can't Go Home Again". People and places never stay the same. We are all nostalgic for the way things used to be in our college days or in our early adulthood. I went back to my college town 15 years after I graduated. I remarked to a buddy that the coeds looked like junior high students. He said" yep the coeds are too young for us, it's their mommas we would be after now."

I grew up in Huntsville, Alabama. It has changed quite a bit. All the schools I went to no longer exist. Most of the small Mom and Pop stores I shopped at are no more. University drive used to be almost out in the country, now it's wall to wall shopping and traffic bumper to bumper. I guess that's progress.
It would now be their grandmothers. :eek2:

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

One of my favourite song lyrics......and it applies to many of my old haunts:

"They paved paradise...and put up a parking lot."
~ Joni Mitchell

Progress my arse! :rolleye2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.