DJ Dale and Trey Sanders (Sanders Reportedly Out for Season)

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Luckily it doesn't seem like an injury that will debilitate him long-term - assuming surgery is successful - like a ligament injury.
In terms of Sanders’ foot injury, if it is the injury I think it is, numerous athletes have recovered successfully and returned to play. I was told “fracture” and not “injury” and the individual I heard it from is generally rather reliable.

If it is what I think it might be, the problem isn’t as much the surgical procedure itself (although it can be complicated by the extent of the injury) as much as it is the location of the injury. Post surgery requires an extended period of immobilization before you can begin the rehab process. When the reports first stated out for the year (later revised to “indefinitely”) it was the first foot injury that came to mind.

I hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Too lazy total up, but we have seemed to have a lot of foot injuries. Idont think there is conditioning to help with foot fractures. Could it be the shoes or the playing surface?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
In terms of Sanders’ foot injury, if it is the injury I think it is, numerous athletes have recovered successfully and returned to play. I was told “fracture” and not “injury” and the individual I heard it from is generally rather reliable.

If it is what I think it might be, the problem isn’t as much the surgical procedure itself (although it can be complicated by the extent of the injury) as much as it is the location of the injury. Post surgery requires an extended period of immobilization before you can begin the rehab process. When the reports first stated out for the year (later revised to “indefinitely”) it was the first foot injury that came to mind.

I hope I’m wrong.
FULL rehab is the most important thing.

Years ago, Bobby Humphrey's college career was derailed by incomplete recovery from a stress fracture in his foot. He came back too early, re-broke it, and never played college ball again.

Now, that was over 30 years ago, and I'm sure both treatment and rehab have progressed light years since then.

But the point remains: It will be hard, but all of us -- fans, coaches, trainers, doctors, and Sanders himself -- need to be patient. If he goes full contact in either practice or a game before he is anything less than 100% recovered, it would be a disservice to both Sanders and the Alabama football program.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Too lazy total up, but we have seemed to have a lot of foot injuries. Idont think there is conditioning to help with foot fractures. Could it be the shoes or the playing surface?
The foot injury/fracture I think Trey might have suffered is a Lisfranc fracture. It is where foot bones (metatarsals) and base bones of the ankle (tarsal) “come together) to form the arch of the foot. The injury usually occurs with hyper flexion or hyper extension of the foot around the arch. Think of landing on a hard ball directly on the arch of the foot with all your weight (often occurs in football when the player’s foot lands awkwardly on another player’s foot/leg) or having someone step directly on the top of your foot just as you have “planted” that foot and pushed off to accelerate.

It is the same injury that sidelined Julio Jones and Johnathan Allen at points in their professional careers. I believe it may be the injury that Marquis Brown of Oklahoma suffered.

I don’t know if turf/shoes play a role in this type of injury. It usually seems to happen when players are just trying to make an “athletic” move and something weird happens.

Last edited:

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Re: DJ Dale and Trey Sanders

Sad to see this, but could he potentially make it back late in the season (Iron Bowl, SECCG, playoffs) and still take a redshirt?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
FULL rehab is the most important thing.

Years ago, Bobby Humphrey's college career was derailed by incomplete recovery from a stress fracture in his foot. He came back too early, re-broke it, and never played college ball again.

Now, that was over 30 years ago, and I'm sure both treatment and rehab have progressed light years since then.

But the point remains: It will be hard, but all of us -- fans, coaches, trainers, doctors, and Sanders himself -- need to be patient. If he goes full contact in either practice or a game before he is anything less than 100% recovered, it would be a disservice to both Sanders and the Alabama football program.
When most think of foot fractures, they think of large bones of the foot (metatarsals). My wife broke her 5th metatarsal stepping wrong off a curb and rolling the outside of her foot. Simple immobilization and, if displaced, a pin or screws. Once the bone heals, rehab can start.

Lisfranc fractures/injuries happen right where the bones of the foot and ankle come together, the major point where the foot “flexes and extends” (even call it the Lisfranc “joint” now).

That’s the reason recovery is lengthy. You must make sure that fracture is completely healed before you begin “stressing” the area with movement.

Good news is that surgical techniques and post operative treatment for Lisfranc have advanced significantly in the past few years.

He could possibly be back rehabbing by the end of the year and maybe participating in drills next spring.

Last edited:

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

Sad to see this, but could he potentially make it back late in the season (Iron Bowl, SECCG, playoffs) and still take a redshirt?
No need to rush him back. I think we will be good this year at RB. Next year is when we will really need him.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It's called stuff happens and it's football. It is nobody or somethings fault. Amazingly enough it happens at other places also.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
It is important, I believe, to recognize that humans evolved over the millennia and were much smaller and less powerful only a couple of generations ago. Advances in nutrition, caloric availability and muscle development (weight) does not necessarily lead to equally stronger bones and joints. I would tend to believe that this is a major cause for the types of stress fractures and of course joint replacements at earlier ages that we experience today.

At the same time practically all the factory foods we consume today are devoid of the types nutritional values that existed a few generations ago.

I see the frequency of these injuries as you expressed and think about the need to be extremely advanced in the areas of bio-mechanics and nutrition in an effort to reduce the frequency of injuries we are seeing today.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Kirby tried once to get him...…...….....Cochran decided against leaving
See and I wonder if Cochran decided to stay here for the long term. It seems that everyone was talking like he was such good friends with Kirby and their wives too so he was just waiting to become vested in Alabama's retirement system. I am thrilled that he is sticking around because he adds so much to our program.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

I have always been a big Cochran guy but I am starting to think there is more to this than luck. It is every year for the past several years. At what point do we begin to question??? I honestly do not know. But this is ridiculous.
How would anything that Cochran does in the weight room cause Sanders to get a foot injury...? :conf3:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Cochran ain't the problem. There is no "problem" that can be fixed. It is simply bad luck.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.