Question: Remember when GameDay was fun to watch? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Remember when GameDay was fun to watch?

Nailed it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Truthfully I was one that never got into "the ESPN GameDay" thing. Seems like I always had something to do to occupy my time up to the time of the Alabama game.

I did watch College Football Final at night after the other games had completed. Now it's a "pass" as well.

Of course, I'm almost 60 years old. Probably some appeal to the "young folks" of which I'm certainly not.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I still enjoy Gameday. What I miss is the College Football Final show with Rece and the original crew. I can't even watch the new crew.
    I agree. College Football Final used to be a must watch. Now it is a hard pass and I would rather watch Hawaii vs ???? than that garbage.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

By going to most of our games, I rarely see the show. I always dread when they bring the circus to campus - I can do without the additional chaos and it adds nothing to the atmosphere/experience.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

BamaNation First Team

I actually like most of Gameday. But like some of the other posters, Gameday is more background noise in the morning than anything.

College Football Final is a joke now. They took a good show and made it depressing to watch. I havent watched it much in the past couple of years.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by Tide&True View Post
    I stopped watching a few years back. Why is ESPN not getting the hint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My guess is (without even asking your age) you are no longer the target audience ESPN is trying to reach. I used to get into Gameday on Saturday mornings but haven't watched it in literally years. I guess I "aged out" of the programming content and found what they were showing no longer interested me. Every now and then I'll walk by the TV on Saturday mornings and my older boys will be watching it. I'll stop and briefly watch it, quickly lose interest and go about my way until the games come on.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Second Team

ESPN has gone the way of the DODO as far as I go.
    When they actually had some info on there (in the days of Chris Berman) I would watch it. Didn't seem like there was so much homerism going on then and wasn't three hours of just blah blah blah blah.
    I'll watch the games on there (not much other choice in that when we play on that channel) but I really can't stand much on there anymore.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    My guess is (without even asking your age) you are no longer the target audience ESPN is trying to reach. I used to get into Gameday on Saturday mornings but haven't watched it in literally years. I guess I "aged out" of the programming content and found what they were showing no longer interested me. Every now and then I'll walk by the TV on Saturday mornings and my older boys will be watching it. I'll stop and briefly watch it, quickly lose interest and go about my way until the games come on.
    That is probably part of it, but also consider that those of us in my generation grew up with ESPN in its original form. I watched the first episode of SportsCenter and thought that TV couldn't get any better than that, and I think that I was right. ESPN, SportsCenter, College Gameday - all of those shows - they used to be all about the game. So, it's not just the new format. It is also the memory of what once was. Without that memory, these shows would likely be much more palatable to me - less disappointing, at least. But with those memories, today's programming is just a shadow of what once was.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Truthfully I was one that never got into "the ESPN GameDay" thing. Seems like I always had something to do to occupy my time up to the time of the Alabama game.

I did watch College Football Final at night after the other games had completed. Now it's a "pass" as well.

Of course, I'm almost 60 years old. Probably some appeal to the "young folks" of which I'm certainly not.
    Yep it was a staple for me as well, especially when I went to Tuscaloosa or Atlanta to follow the Tide. Now it's 99% talking and 1% football highlights. You basically can't find great highlights anymore..
    I need you out there slinging coconuts and pineapples!

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I still like it. I don't/can't watch for 3 hours though. I usually record it, sleep in and then watch the first hour or so and get the feel for the big games of the day while I'm plotting out the games I'll watch later, upsets I'm hoping for and prepping whatever part of a dead pig I'm planning to smoke and eat that day.

If they'd make it an hour-long show that came on a 10:00 before the 11:00 (central) game, it would be a better show. Forget the celebrity guests and human interest stories and just talk about that day's big games. JMO.

BamaNation All-American tusks_n_raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I still enjoy Gameday. What I miss is the College Football Final show with Rece and the original crew. I can't even watch the new crew.
    Same here. College Football Final with Rece, Mark May, and Lou Holtz was a highly entertaining way to finish off the Day/Night of games. I'd go so far to say it was 'Must-See' to really get a good recap of the National landscape.

It was 'Okay' with Tessitore (then Adnan Virk), Galloway, and Kanell .

Starting last year though it was almost completely unwatchable. They dropped Kanell and added Jesse Palmer and it somehow got worse. I guess because Kanell is annoying by way of stirring the pot where Jesse is annoying because he's a complete moron.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I guess I don't know what you're talking about.

While ESPN AS A NETWORK crossed a lot of lines, I honestly don't recall Game Day doing this.

It was basically to be "fun" or "mindless entertainment" and I guess if that's what it is then it's okay.

I WILL give them a positive here: it's good that they took their traveling road show to places that nobody else would ever darken - like NDSU Bison, for example.

And Herbstreit's analysis is spot on - always. But again, I just never thought it was as good as advertised.
    Brother Love's traveling salvation show...for college football. True believers love it...for the rest of us it is fairly predictable..and yes...now boring.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

I still look forward to watching it.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    Same here. College Football Final with Rece, Mark May, and Lou Holtz was a highly entertaining way to finish off the Day/Night of games. I'd go so far to say it was 'Must-See' to really get a good recap of the National landscape.

It was 'Okay' with Tessitore (then Adnan Virk), Galloway, and Kanell .

Starting last year though it was almost completely unwatchable. They dropped Kanell and added Jesse Palmer and it somehow got worse. I guess because Kanell is annoying by way of stirring the pot where Jesse is annoying because he's a complete moron.
    How do these people get these jobs? They've ruined Mike and Mike as Golic and Wingo is unwatchable...add to that what they've done with Gameday and College Football Final -- looks to me like ESPN needs a wakeup call.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead