Question: Remember when GameDay was fun to watch?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar

Remember when GameDay was fun to watch?

I stopped watching a few years back. Why is ESPN not getting the hint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Remember when GameDay was fun to watch?

Yes, unfortunately, it is very much like the problem with the games themselves. They both used to be just about football. They then decided to make it more about an entertainment product and add intro bands and a bunch of crap that has very little to do with football. Football is entertaining by itself. The more extras they add and rule changes they make, the less the end product is about football. They may gain a few extra fans who like the frills, but many real football fans are tuning out.

Truthfully I was one that never got into "the ESPN GameDay" thing. Seems like I always had something to do to occupy my time up to the time of the Alabama game.

I did watch College Football Final at night after the other games had completed. Now it's a "pass" as well.

Of course, I'm almost 60 years old. Probably some appeal to the "young folks" of which I'm certainly not.
    "A politician is a person that can smoke a cigar, down a shot of bourbon, kiss a baby, and talk out of both sides of their mouth all at the same time."

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I lost steam on GameDay around the time I went to college. Didn't watch it much in college and by the time I could watch it again the quality was going downhill. College Football Final was probably my favorite college football show they produced when it they had the original Rece Davis, Lou Holtz, and Mark May outfit. It is funny too because Lou and Mark are not that tolerable alone but I think the show was well produced and Davis did a great job of tempering the worst aspects of the two analysts.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tide&True View Post
    I stopped watching a few years back. Why is ESPN not getting the hint?

I actually don't "really" remember when Game Day was fun to watch because I never really thought it was.

Yes, they'd have an occasional informative story. Tom Rinaldi showing up with his dramatic read voice and telling us about Sal Aunese's kid walking on at LSU for Les Miles (who recruited Sal Aunese in the mid-80s to Colorado) or the Chucky Mullins-Brad Gaines tragedy. Good stuff.

Mostly, I had it playing in the background sorta like NPR when I'm not listening and would tune in if something like those things mentioned came on the set.

But I've never been this huge fan of the show, no. I'm not even sure it was good. All that happened in my case is that since we had Saturday morning cartoons in my youth, I replaced one mindless cartoon with another one that was far less funny.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation All-American

Yes. I also stopped watching Gameday because they ruined it. The show is too long, too self-obssessed / self-congratulatory, and far too often just plain silly. I will tune in about once a year for half an hour just to remind myself that im better off doing household chores or reading Tidefans before the games start Saturday.

I should be their target audience. I pretty much watch all or parts of 7-10 college football games a week, yes even including teams i have no connection to at all. I will even watch the slap fight in Florida that is coming up in a couple of weeks. I am a consumer of many of their advertisers, insurance products, sports drinks, athletic gear, electronics, I am in a big box hardware store like HD every week, etc. But the Worldwide leader has lost me. Their show is so bad I trim hedges and pull weeds rather than watch it.

Could just be me, but it think their ratings prove otherwise.
    Roll Tide

The political overreach turned me off.
    (political correctness)

Last edited by Tide&True; August 11th, 2019 at 09:18 AM.
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

I still like it just fine.

It was never as good as people thought it was and it's not as bad as people claim it is now.

It's just a lighthearted way to start a Saturday morning and get some thoughts and views on the upcoming games. I like to get a cup of coffee and do some chores around the house while it's on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

I stopped watching a few years ago. I used to enjoy it plus it was something to mindlessly watch until football started. Now I would rather go for a bike ride than watch. Does it really need to be 3 hours long?
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

I still enjoy Gameday. What I miss is the College Football Final show with Rece and the original crew. I can't even watch the new crew.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I still enjoy Gameday. What I miss is the College Football Final show with Rece and the original crew. I can't even watch the new crew.
    I agree whole heartedly about the Final show.

Last edited by Tide&True; August 11th, 2019 at 10:47 AM.
    -Steely Dan

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tide&True View Post
    The political overreach turned me off.
    (political correctness)

I guess I don't know what you're talking about.

While ESPN AS A NETWORK crossed a lot of lines, I honestly don't recall Game Day doing this.

It was basically to be "fun" or "mindless entertainment" and I guess if that's what it is then it's okay.

I WILL give them a positive here: it's good that they took their traveling road show to places that nobody else would ever darken - like NDSU Bison, for example.

And Herbstreit's analysis is spot on - always. But again, I just never thought it was as good as advertised.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Well, I agree with much of the sentiment posted above. I still flop between SECN coverage and Espn Gameday but only when SECN is on commercial. Thank goodness we have an alternative.
    "May the Tide Be with You"