Question: Remember when GameDay was fun to watch?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Truthfully I was one that never got into "the ESPN GameDay" thing. Seems like I always had something to do to occupy my time up to the time of the Alabama game.

I did watch College Football Final at night after the other games had completed. Now it's a "pass" as well.

Of course, I'm almost 60 years old. Probably some appeal to the "young folks" of which I'm certainly not.
Yep it was a staple for me as well, especially when I went to Tuscaloosa or Atlanta to follow the Tide. Now it's 99% talking and 1% football highlights. You basically can't find great highlights anymore..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I still like it. I don't/can't watch for 3 hours though. I usually record it, sleep in and then watch the first hour or so and get the feel for the big games of the day while I'm plotting out the games I'll watch later, upsets I'm hoping for and prepping whatever part of a dead pig I'm planning to smoke and eat that day.

If they'd make it an hour-long show that came on a 10:00 before the 11:00 (central) game, it would be a better show. Forget the celebrity guests and human interest stories and just talk about that day's big games. JMO.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I still enjoy Gameday. What I miss is the College Football Final show with Rece and the original crew. I can't even watch the new crew.
Same here. College Football Final with Rece, Mark May, and Lou Holtz was a highly entertaining way to finish off the Day/Night of games. I'd go so far to say it was 'Must-See' to really get a good recap of the National landscape.

It was 'Okay' with Tessitore (then Adnan Virk), Galloway, and Kanell .

Starting last year though it was almost completely unwatchable. They dropped Kanell and added Jesse Palmer and it somehow got worse. I guess because Kanell is annoying by way of stirring the pot where Jesse is annoying because he's a complete moron.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I guess I don't know what you're talking about.

While ESPN AS A NETWORK crossed a lot of lines, I honestly don't recall Game Day doing this.

It was basically to be "fun" or "mindless entertainment" and I guess if that's what it is then it's okay.

I WILL give them a positive here: it's good that they took their traveling road show to places that nobody else would ever darken - like NDSU Bison, for example.

And Herbstreit's analysis is spot on - always. But again, I just never thought it was as good as advertised.
Brother Love's traveling salvation show...for college football. True believers love it...for the rest of us it is fairly predictable..and yes...now boring.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Same here. College Football Final with Rece, Mark May, and Lou Holtz was a highly entertaining way to finish off the Day/Night of games. I'd go so far to say it was 'Must-See' to really get a good recap of the National landscape.

It was 'Okay' with Tessitore (then Adnan Virk), Galloway, and Kanell .

Starting last year though it was almost completely unwatchable. They dropped Kanell and added Jesse Palmer and it somehow got worse. I guess because Kanell is annoying by way of stirring the pot where Jesse is annoying because he's a complete moron.
How do these people get these jobs? They've ruined Mike and Mike as Golic and Wingo is unwatchable...add to that what they've done with Gameday and College Football Final -- looks to me like ESPN needs a wakeup call.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
How do these people get these jobs? They've ruined Mike and Mike as Golic and Wingo is unwatchable...add to that what they've done with Gameday and College Football Final -- looks to me like ESPN needs a wakeup call.
To be fair, I think that Mike and Mike ended that show, not ESPN. The shows that have replaced it just don't have the same chemistry.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
To be fair, I think that Mike and Mike ended that show, not ESPN. The shows that have replaced it just don't have the same chemistry.
Yeah Greeny ended it. Could say ESPN ended it by making the offer to him, but he was the main one ending the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Mike Greenberg was encouraged to leave and do his own show...would not even tell Mike G. until he had to do so. Why they have Mike Jr. on the show I cannot imagine...other than nepotism He sounds like he's talking with a bag of marbles in his mouth. I guess they are not targeting me!!!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
All good things must come to an end, I guess. When people retire, or move on to better jobs, the chemistry has to change. It will never be the same as it was in the 90s, and it can't be because Lee Corso isn't the same Lee Corso as he was back then, and they've added so much more circus to it that its taken away from the overall product. Reece is great, but he's not the same as Chris Fowler was in that spot. And Chris Fowler was much better in that spot than he is now in the broadcast booth, but you can't blame him for taking the opportunity. And College Football Final. That was such a fun show with Reece, Holtz, and May.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is you can't help but have to deal with change, but what's disappointing is that when these guys moved up the ladder, ESPN has done mediocre to horrible work in replacing them or revamping the shows they were on. B1GTide nailed it. I grew up watching the show in its original form, not long after it was started. The product couldn't help but go down from there. It's sad but, kind of the theme of life.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i still enjoy it as well as SEC Nation. thats usually the time i'm grilling/drinking if i'm not going to a game that day. I'd watch any studio pregame show actually. I just love sports talk. I can sit through the feel good stories

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.