Chris Cuomo threatens a man who called him “Fredo”

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I can’t do a link due to language (although it is edited in the story I read) but google “Chris Cuomo Fredo”.

Here’s what happened. Chris Cuomo hosts a show on CNN. He is the son of former NY governor Mario and his brother is the current governor, Andrew. Some guy came up to him and called him Fredo. Cuomo got very upset and started cursing the man and threatened to throw him down the stairs. The other guy had his phone camera on and recorded the whole thing.

Cuomo said in the video that calling an Italian “Fredo” is equivalent to calling a black person the n-word.

I have never seen the movie, but I know Fredo was the weakest and dumbest brother in the family. But I was unaware it is considered an ethnic slur. Has anyone else heard that it is wrong to call an Italian the F-word?

I have watched his show a few times and heard him on the radio and like him. I get that this was a set up and the other guy knew he would be triggered by that name, but I thought he went a bit over the top.

Is anyone here Italian and would like to weigh in on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Urban Dictionary says that the phrase came about because Fredo in The Godfather was sort of the black sheep of the family, the screw-up. I'd never heard the term and didn't remember that it was a character in that movie. When I searched the term, it immediately came back that the movie you were talking about was The Godfather.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I can’t do a link due to language (although it is edited in the story I read) but google “Chris Cuomo Fredo”.

Here’s what happened. Chris Cuomo hosts a show on CNN. He is the son of former NY governor Mario and his brother is the current governor, Andrew. Some guy came up to him and called him Fredo. Cuomo got very upset and started cursing the man and threatened to throw him down the stairs. The other guy had his phone camera on and recorded the whole thing.

Cuomo said in the video that calling an Italian “Fredo” is equivalent to calling a black person the n-word.

I have never seen the movie, but I know Fredo was the weakest and dumbest brother in the family. But I was unaware it is considered an ethnic slur. Has anyone else heard that it is wrong to call an Italian the F-word?

I have watched his show a few times and heard him on the radio and like him. I get that this was a set up and the other guy knew he would be triggered by that name, but I thought he went a bit over the top.

Is anyone here Italian and would like to weigh in on this?

the Italian side of my family would get more upset being called a WOP or Guido. I think for Cuomo coming from a famous family Fredo is a big insult but because it assumes you to be a weak imbecile that only has status because of your family. Eric Trump is the perfect example of a Fredo

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
the Italian side of my family would get more upset being called a WOP or Guido. I think for Cuomo coming from a famous family Fredo is a big insult but because it assumes you to be a weak imbecile that only has status because of your family. Eric Trump is the perfect example of a Fredo
One article I saw included a tweet from Donald Jr. saying he gets called Fredo all the time. It is probably hard to tell which of the Trump brothers is the Fredo of the group. Eric strikes me as the weakest of the group, including Ivanka. Not counting Baron as we really don’t know much about him and I think his mother shields him from the rest of the family as much as she can. Not that I blame her, but Trump isn’t a doting father so he probably doesn’t care.

Tiffany was raised isolated from the clan in California and hasn’t really been involved in the family business.

As for Chris, I do think he got his CNN job somewhat because of his name. But you could say the same about Andrew.

As for Fredo, his whole family was a bunch of losers.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
"Wop" is what I grew up with, maybe sometimes "greaser." Cuomo wouldn't be good to mess with. He's a fitness nut. Here's a quote from a NYT article...

The fight training is practical. It’s all self-defense combative stuff. It’s definitely mixed martial arts but not like M.M.A. on TV. What I’m training for are scenarios for when you’re being attacked. It’s how to defend yourself and your family. It’s so challenging. I’m actually terrible at it. My instincts are all wrong. But it tests your mind and body at the same time.
(Or being called "Fredo?")

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
That’s quite the foul mouth Chris Cuomo has. Good grief. He’s got anger management issues.

Whoever the guy was that called Cuomo “Fredo” I bet he doesn’t do it again. Lol. He probably had it coming.

There’s no way Fredo equates to the N word.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I would think Fredo equated to a traitor and thus in that context a desultory, deservedly condemned man, sentenced by his own brother who preferred to protect him. I.e., the pathetic loser out of a family of losers.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think it's probably okay to not call people names they obviously don't like.
And it's probably okay to not threaten to throw folks down the stairs.
Neither of those guys strike me as the guy you would select when picking your trivia team.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think it's probably okay to not call people names they obviously don't like.
And it's probably okay to not threaten to throw folks down the stairs.
Neither of those guys strike me as the guy you would select when picking your trivia team.
with his and his family's history of being public figures, cuomo should know better than to take that kind of bait. but it still would have been nice to see that smug d-bag get his butt kicked for trying that.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
with his and his family's history of being public figures, cuomo should know better than to take that kind of bait. but it still would have been nice to see that smug d-bag get his butt kicked for trying that.
So let’s see: conservatives should be confronted at “gasoline stations”, “department stores”, “restaurants”, but its okay for this guy to “throw someone down the stairs?” Ok

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
So let’s see: conservatives should be confronted at “gasoline stations”, “department stores”, “restaurants”, but its okay for this guy to “throw someone down the stairs?” Ok
i generally find it entertaining when people making asses out of themselves provoking physical confrontations get put in their places.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think going up to anyone and being a jerk just because you don’t like his or her politics is idiotic and childish. I don’t care if it is Chris Cuomo or Sean Hannity.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.