Special lighting at BDS

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
Man, some people here probably want everyone to remain seated so they can see and, think anything more than a golf clap is over the top.

I thought the lights were amazing. Looked great on TV, I can’t image how much fun it was in person.

SunTrust Park does some similar things at Braves games but, their’s don’t change colors. I love it when they dim the lights during opposing team mound visits and we do the chop with our phones lit up. Braves need to upgrade to color changing ones so they can turn the field red or blue at times.

I wonder if they’ll have to put seizure warnings on the tickets now. My wife did say that she can never go to a game now, not that she cares too. Flashing lights like that give her headaches. She doesn’t even like the lights at Church of the Highlands.

From what I have read the chop might be going away. Which I think is a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
From an old codger there Sat nite.....I thought the lights were pretty darn cool. Not over-used; and really stirred up the crowd.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Seriously? The lights might be a little much for me, but I don't sit down at football games, HS, college or NFL. I suffer from migraine headaches and would worry about the effect of the lighting. But if the kids and the players like it, then I am all for it. This game is for the young. Us old folks are only spectators.
I thought the same thing B1G. Flashing lights can send some people into a seizure. But I’m not here to poo poo the lights just a little much for me personally.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I think they should dim the lights every time Burrow drops back to pass.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The atmosphere was fantastic Saturday night! The new lights were greater than I anticipated. I would definitely recommend that if you can get to a night game... then go.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Send me TWO tickets and I'll see how much I LOVE it LIVE. On TV it was AWESOME. The white lights did look whiter so that you could see CRIMSON better.

Hmmmmm. Maybe they should ONLY use the CRIMSON lights during a game. You know LSU has Death Valley! Well, with all that CRIMSON, we could call B-DS, HADES or Hell for short, or the Lake of Crimson Fire! Oh, I'm sure the NCAA would put us on a CENTURY of Probation for CRIMSON lighting during games. The opposing teams, esp. LSU could run through Crimson Fiery Flames to reach the playing field. After all teams that visit LSU have to run past a mild mannered Mike.

In short, the ESPN announcer on the field looked better in Crimson lighting.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
It was really cool...Trying to attach videos, having a little difficulty. Long and short, I'm about to turn 53 (that's strictly for perspective) and when the lights came on the 1st time I looked at my buddy that I've been going to games with since '84 and said,"If I were a recruit in the stadium tonight, I'm not sure I'd ever leave!" It was cool...RTR!!! ( Videos coming if I can figure it out...totally user error.)

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I hate that the LSU game is a day game. If it were at night I think this year's LSU game may be the most electric atmosphere in BDS history. Those lights really take it up a notch.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
At times it made it seem like the TV was acting up. The regular lighting (play time) seemed to be a brighter white which was nice.
That's what i thought too. I dont like seeing the LED show on TV

They would focus on player and suddenly it would look dim.

Also seems to me to be more jazz like the uniform colors .. much against our tradition

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
From what I have read the chop might be going away. Which I think is a mistake.
I’ve seen that, all because a Cardinal pitcher whined. The Cardinals did a lot of whining during that series all while they did throat slashing gestures. Bunch of babies, Cardinals and their fans are the worst.

Honestly, it’s a chant done to cheer on our team. Nothing more. No one in that stadium is even thinking about Native Americans while doing the chant. If the Braves are forced to stop, then every team needs to be stopped, including FSU.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
It was a hit...The only difference I'll say is that I thought that after the initial excitement that the crowd got quiet...There was a lot of time spent sitting down in section JJ..and I DON'T like that at all...
JMO but the lighting was amazing. The crowd was electric. I havent seen/heard it like that in years. Not to mention i'm sure the recruits loved it. The players were very pumped up as well. i'm all for whatever it takes to create an electric atmosphere. I hate the sitting on hands crowd. looks a whole lot cooler in person than on television

Tide-one-on

All-SEC
Aug 14, 2003
Pensacola, FL 32514
The lights were fantastic!! I am 62 and I felt like a kid again!! If I had been a recruit, I am signing up!! The crowd was electric! Neat stuff they did with the different songs! Great time!

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
While the "wave" is old news, the way they did it during the commercial was neat - once the crowd figured out what they were trying to do. I also liked how it isn't as bright in the seating area since they can better direct the lights to illuminate the field without lighting up the whole stadium.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I agree! It gave me chills. It's just that little extra "umph" especially for folks like me that have been going to BD for years. I was disappointed when I came home and saw it on TV. It doesn't do it justice, trust me. You really have to see it in person to get the full effect. Weird thing is I loved the darkness mixed in as well. I know, sounds crazy but it made the lights that much more dramatic. Can't wait to congratulate Greg Byrne in person for his part in it. We are BLESSED to have him at UA!
I went back and watched it on tv. It was a lot cooler in person. I love that Bama sets the bar. Think about all the “firsts” CNS and his efforts have brought to college football and athletics in general. It’s unreal. I have lived here in Tuscaloosa all my life and went to UA. It’s remarkable how much both have grown since he and Miss Terry landed at our little airport.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
The lights were amazing! Atmosphere was incredible--students, even in the upper decks stayed until the game was over. Players past and present loved it. This is a great way to keep our traditions but bring us into the 21st Century at the same time! The first time the lights went down and then red was INCREDIBLE!! My only gripe was that they didn't use them during Rammer Jammer, but I understand why--safety for those making their exits. It was definitely worth the 2.5 hour drive to and from! Roll Tide, y'all!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.