protests in hong kong - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Re: protests in hong kong

I've got friends who live there, they're pretty worried right now...

Chinese military has declared it would take them just 10 minutes to reach Hong Kong as the financial hub braces for more demonstrations over the coming weekend.

Thousands of Chinese military personnel waving red flags paraded at a sports stadium in a city across the border from Hong Kong today, according witnesses, a day after the chilling warning was issued.

Armoured vehicles were also seen inside the stadium in Shenzhen when the event was taking place as concerns build that China may intervene to end 10 weeks of unrest in Hong Kong.

Parking spaces at the stadium were filled with more than 100 dark-painted paramilitary vehicles, including troop trucks, armoured personnel carriers, buses and jeeps.

At least three were armoured wheel-loaders, and two vehicles carried water cannons.

Satellite images taken on Tuesday showed Beijing had apparently assembled some 500 armoured vehicles to a sports centre in Shenzhen across the harbour from Hong Kong.
    Chinese military warns it can hit Hong Kong in TEN MINUTES as Beijing masses hundreds of armoured vehicles on city's border
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    i am scheduled to fly to hong kong for work Sept 1. it will be interesting to see if the trade show gets cancelled.
    I suggest you consider cancelling the trip on your own if possible and not wait for the trade show to cancel. Looks like the stuff is about to hit the fan there, and it could well spread beyond Hong Kong in a hurry. At the very least, in my humble opinion, you should get a hazard type payday if your job requires your attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    I suggest you consider cancelling the trip on your own if possible and not wait for the trade show to cancel. Looks like the stuff is about to hit the fan there, and it could well spread beyond Hong Kong in a hurry. At the very least, in my humble opinion, you should get a hazard type payday if your job requires your attendance.
    it's my father-in law's company and he and i are going together. anyway, we have long-time partners/friends who live there and they are keeping us apprised of the situation. but yeah, it seems dicey to say the least.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    True, but it could make the plot of a great suspense film: "92Tide Escapes from Hong Kong."
    Think of the royalties, man.

It is a bad situation. The communists will do whatever it takes to show they are in control. Many lives could be lost. I hope that is not the end all.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    True, but it could make the plot of a great suspense film: "92Tide Escapes from Hong Kong."
    Think of the royalties, man.
    If that were to happen, he might out-do BamainBoston in notoriety.

Just be safe, 92...
    Last edited by crimsonaudio; August 15th, 2019 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Just be safe, 92...
    I think he can take the People's Liberation Army.

... And win!

From my friend in HK:

Personally I'm alright. Just finished a mixing session with a producer friend of mine and we spent most of time sharing our thoughts and feeling about the situation. And that's pretty much what we talk about these days really. The situation is complicated even for us living in HK so I can understand people out there don't get the full picture of what's going on in here. In short, the Commies up North have slowly destroying HK piece by piece since the takeover in 97. I came back to HK to start my career in Avon Studio just few months before the takeover. I can tell you that I have seen it with my eyes and experienced first hand on how things had changed for the worse over the past 22 years. One thing people should remember and understand is that the Commies build everything with lies. Think Soviet Union and Chernobyl...

From my friend in HK:

Personally I'm alright. Just finished a mixing session with a producer friend of mine and we spent most of time sharing our thoughts and feeling about the situation. And that's pretty much what we talk about these days really. The situation is complicated even for us living in HK so I can understand people out there don't get the full picture of what's going on in here. In short, the Commies up North have slowly destroying HK piece by piece since the takeover in 97. I came back to HK to start my career in Avon Studio just few months before the takeover. I can tell you that I have seen it with my eyes and experienced first hand on how things had changed for the worse over the past 22 years. One thing people should remember and understand is that the Commies build everything with lies. Think Soviet Union and Chernobyl...
    Wait, commies lie?

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Wait, commies lie?
    "Commies - I hate these guys..."

"Commies - I hate these guys..."
    They have only murdered 100 million people over the last century. They're just misunderstood.