protests in hong kong - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: protests in hong kong

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Easy to imagine, yet nothing to base it on.
    really? that's getting pretty far out there.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Theyíre not really communist anymore. Itís capitalism with Chinese characteristics. At least that is what they say these days. As far as I can tell it is the worst parts of capitalism without any of the freedom benefits.
    It's also the worst parts of communism (all-powerful oligarchy with a willingness to use the military to squash any opposition).
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    really? that's getting pretty far out there.
    I think the assertion that a well-armed citizenship would be steam-rolled by their government is 'pretty far out there' - there are essentially no examples of armed societies being steam-rolled by their governments. All the great government-led genocides have come after disarming the population (Stalin, Mao, Hitler, etc).

I'd argue that your suggestion is the one needing proof.

I think the assertion that a well-armed citizenship would be steam-rolled by their government is 'pretty far out there' - there are essentially no examples of armed societies being steam-rolled by their governments. All the great government-led genocides have come after disarming the population (Stalin, Mao, Hitler, etc).

I'd argue that your suggestion is the one needing proof.
    please. you honestly expect me to believe that china wouldn't have destroyed the hong kong protesters had they been armed? that is patently absurd. they are basically telling hong kong to get the protesters in line or else, and that is with the protesters using $6 laser pointers and signs.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

please. you honestly expect me to believe that china wouldn't have destroyed the hong kong protesters had they been armed? that is patently absurd. they are basically telling hong kong to get the protesters in line or else, and that is with the protesters using $6 laser pointers and signs.
    *sigh*

No point in side-tracking this one further, you're only going to argue points that make sense to you instead of looking at the larger picture.

Back to the protests.

*sigh*

No point in side-tracking this one further, you're only going to argue points that make sense to you instead of looking at the larger picture.

Back to the protests.
    i see the larger picture. you are the one that posted the ridiculous meme implying that more guns would make this situation better for the protestors/hong kong residents, which i will point out again is patently absurd.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

i see the larger picture. you are the one that posted the ridiculous meme implying that more guns would make this situation better for the protestors/hong kong residents, which i will point out again is patently absurd.
    Agree to disagree, so let's get back to the discussion about the protests.

i'm guessing if this weekend/next week is relatively calm, my trip will be a go. somewhat selfishly, i would like an excuse to cancel this trip. it is a complete p.i.t.a. trip i have to take every year for this trade show and it also makes me miss my anniversary.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-SEC

I never get this concept that an armed populace would deter an authoritarian government that is equipped with weapons that could kill or disable thousands in seconds without destroying a single building. We can debate the aftermath of such action but not the fact that these governments wield the ultimate power to put down protest once the decision is made.

i'm guessing if this weekend/next week is relatively calm, my trip will be a go. somewhat selfishly, i would like an excuse to cancel this trip. it is a complete p.i.t.a. trip i have to take every year for this trade show and it also makes me miss my anniversary.
    Yah, and stepping into such a volatile situation just adds to the anxiety. I suspect you'll be fine no matter what, but it's reminder of the calm we take for granted a vast majority of our lives.

Yah, and stepping into such a volatile situation just adds to the anxiety. I suspect you'll be fine no matter what, but it's reminder of the calm we take for granted a vast majority of our lives.
    honestly, my biggest worry would be getting stuck there for a few extra days. that would be a big inconvenience, but if that did happen, our hk partners would bend over backwards to make everything as smooth as possible.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

If you ask the people who live there, most I know would love to have access to firearms at this point.
    That would not end well.

BamaNation All-SEC

I have a good friend living in Hong Kong, an Auburn grad who I worked with in the US, and I worry about his family and even his ability to communicate on social media. I would not fly into Hong Kong under any imaginable circumstances with the Chinese military poised nearby in case they decide it is necessary to enter the city. Just saying! There are many unknowable's in this situation.