protests in hong kong

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
things seem to be getting a bit heated over in hong kong. for the second day, protesters have basically shut down the airport and this is after a summer of growing protests with increasing crackdown by the police. i don't see this ending well.

i am scheduled to fly to hong kong for work Sept 1. it will be interesting to see if the trade show gets cancelled.

cnn

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The people there know the score. So does the government. We this end up being 1989 all over again? That might result in an all out revolt.
i don't know if china will go full tiananmen square in hong kong. but if it doesn't quiet down, which i don't think it will, i think they are going to step in and try to do something.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
(Bloomberg) -- President Donald Trump said reports from U.S. intelligence agencies shows the Chinese government is moving troops to its border with Hong Kong.
“Everyone should be calm and safe!” Trump said in a tweet on Tuesday, without providing details about when he received the information.
Trump’s tweet came amid increasing tensions in Hong Kong between the government and protesters. Activists clashed with police outside Hong Kong’s airport after a standoff over a man protesters beat alleging he was an undercover cop from the mainland.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...der-with-hong-kong/ar-AAFKCgV?ocid=spartanntp

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think the Chinese government remembers the "century of humiliation" and is not going to stand for people disrespecting the government. I think the ChiComs will kill any or all of the people they feel they need to in order to keep the CPC in charge.
This sucks for the people of Hong Kong (and Red China for that matter), but those are the cards they have been dealt.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
things seem to be getting a bit heated over in hong kong. for the second day, protesters have basically shut down the airport and this is after a summer of growing protests with increasing crackdown by the police. i don't see this ending well.

i am scheduled to fly to hong kong for work Sept 1. it will be interesting to see if the trade show gets cancelled.
I hope you bought a refundable ticket.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Is it safe to visit Hong Kong while the city is being rocked by mass protests?

CNN (Travel) article

Paul Chan, Hong Kong's financial secretary, has previously said that the city's mass demonstrations had hurt local merchants. Many retail and food and beverage businesses have reported a drop in customers, he added.

"For foreign companies and tourists, Hong Kong seems to have become turbulent and insecure, affecting their desire to travel, do business and invest in Hong Kong," Chan said.
The Langham Hospitality Group, a luxury hotel operator in the city, said in a statementthat "certain segments at our Hong Kong hotels have seen a slowdown."

"We advise our guests that Hong Kong is still safe to visit and conduct business," said Serene Tan, the group's director of public relations. "The recent protests ... in the longer term will not pose a threat to Hong Kong's economy and global standing as one of the top travel destinations of the world.

"The city has experienced similar protests before and has always proven to be resilient."
Luxury hotel Island Shangri-La, located in the city's Central district, said it had seen some "cancellations from our overseas leisure, group and corporate guests."
"We have also seen a decline in the number of local patrons coming to our restaurants and outlets," Carol Kong, spokesperson for the hotel said.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I hope you bought a refundable ticket.
i don't think it's refundable, but will be transferable for a fee so i will be able to use it for another of my upcoming international trips. tomorrow i will be calling our travel agent to see what my options are if we have to cancel, which is starting to look more likely

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Does the "if you don't like it then you can GIT OUT" maxim of the right wing apply to this case?

Not to be glib, but a Westernized HK dealt a mortal wound the day Britain returned the property to China. The power dynamics have changed so China doesn't have to play nice about it anymore.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i don't think it's refundable, but will be transferable for a fee so i will be able to use it for another of my upcoming international trips. tomorrow i will be calling our travel agent to see what my options are if we have to cancel, which is starting to look more likely
Did you get trip insurance with the carrier? If you did, "domestic unrest" is frequently one of the buyouts...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've got friends who live there, they're pretty worried right now...

Chinese military has declared it would take them just 10 minutes to reach Hong Kong as the financial hub braces for more demonstrations over the coming weekend.

Thousands of Chinese military personnel waving red flags paraded at a sports stadium in a city across the border from Hong Kong today, according witnesses, a day after the chilling warning was issued.

Armoured vehicles were also seen inside the stadium in Shenzhen when the event was taking place as concerns build that China may intervene to end 10 weeks of unrest in Hong Kong.

Parking spaces at the stadium were filled with more than 100 dark-painted paramilitary vehicles, including troop trucks, armoured personnel carriers, buses and jeeps.

At least three were armoured wheel-loaders, and two vehicles carried water cannons.

Satellite images taken on Tuesday showed Beijing had apparently assembled some 500 armoured vehicles to a sports centre in Shenzhen across the harbour from Hong Kong.
Chinese military warns it can hit Hong Kong in TEN MINUTES as Beijing masses hundreds of armoured vehicles on city's border

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I suggest you consider cancelling the trip on your own if possible and not wait for the trade show to cancel. Looks like the stuff is about to hit the fan there, and it could well spread beyond Hong Kong in a hurry. At the very least, in my humble opinion, you should get a hazard type payday if your job requires your attendance.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I suggest you consider cancelling the trip on your own if possible and not wait for the trade show to cancel. Looks like the stuff is about to hit the fan there, and it could well spread beyond Hong Kong in a hurry. At the very least, in my humble opinion, you should get a hazard type payday if your job requires your attendance.
it's my father-in law's company and he and i are going together. anyway, we have long-time partners/friends who live there and they are keeping us apprised of the situation. but yeah, it seems dicey to say the least.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
True, but it could make the plot of a great suspense film: "92Tide Escapes from Hong Kong."
Think of the royalties, man.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
It is a bad situation. The communists will do whatever it takes to show they are in control. Many lives could be lost. I hope that is not the end all.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.