protests in hong kong
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

protests in hong kong

things seem to be getting a bit heated over in hong kong. for the second day, protesters have basically shut down the airport and this is after a summer of growing protests with increasing crackdown by the police. i don't see this ending well.

i am scheduled to fly to hong kong for work Sept 1. it will be interesting to see if the trade show gets cancelled.

cnn

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Re: protests in hong kong

The people there know the score. So does the government. Will this end up being 1989 all over again? That might result in an all out revolt.
    Last edited by NationalTitles17; August 13th, 2019 at 03:36 PM.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    The people there know the score. So does the government. We this end up being 1989 all over again? That might result in an all out revolt.
    i don't know if china will go full tiananmen square in hong kong. but if it doesn't quiet down, which i don't think it will, i think they are going to step in and try to do something.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

(Bloomberg) -- President Donald Trump said reports from U.S. intelligence agencies shows the Chinese government is moving troops to its border with Hong Kong.
    “Everyone should be calm and safe!” Trump said in a tweet on Tuesday, without providing details about when he received the information.
    Trump’s tweet came amid increasing tensions in Hong Kong between the government and protesters. Activists clashed with police outside Hong Kong’s airport after a standoff over a man protesters beat alleging he was an undercover cop from the mainland.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartanntp

Stay safe, 92.....
    "Old dog - new tricks"

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

I think the Chinese government remembers the "century of humiliation" and is not going to stand for people disrespecting the government. I think the ChiComs will kill any or all of the people they feel they need to in order to keep the CPC in charge.
    This sucks for the people of Hong Kong (and Red China for that matter), but those are the cards they have been dealt.

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    things seem to be getting a bit heated over in hong kong. for the second day, protesters have basically shut down the airport and this is after a summer of growing protests with increasing crackdown by the police. i don't see this ending well.

i am scheduled to fly to hong kong for work Sept 1. it will be interesting to see if the trade show gets cancelled.
    I hope you bought a refundable ticket.

Is it safe to visit Hong Kong while the city is being rocked by mass protests?

CNN (Travel) article

Paul Chan, Hong Kong's financial secretary, has previously said that the city's mass demonstrations had hurt local merchants. Many retail and food and beverage businesses have reported a drop in customers, he added.

"For foreign companies and tourists, Hong Kong seems to have become turbulent and insecure, affecting their desire to travel, do business and invest in Hong Kong," Chan said.
    The Langham Hospitality Group, a luxury hotel operator in the city, said in a statementthat "certain segments at our Hong Kong hotels have seen a slowdown."

"We advise our guests that Hong Kong is still safe to visit and conduct business," said Serene Tan, the group's director of public relations. "The recent protests ... in the longer term will not pose a threat to Hong Kong's economy and global standing as one of the top travel destinations of the world.

"The city has experienced similar protests before and has always proven to be resilient."
    Luxury hotel Island Shangri-La, located in the city's Central district, said it had seen some "cancellations from our overseas leisure, group and corporate guests."
    "We have also seen a decline in the number of local patrons coming to our restaurants and outlets," Carol Kong, spokesperson for the hotel said.
    "Old dog - new tricks"

Until the PLA decides to throw down. When that happens, it's going to be ugly, just being in Hong Kong. My daughter spent three years living and working in China and she says the PLA will kill as many people as the CPC tells them to to keep the CPC in power.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    I hope you bought a refundable ticket.
    i don't think it's refundable, but will be transferable for a fee so i will be able to use it for another of my upcoming international trips. tomorrow i will be calling our travel agent to see what my options are if we have to cancel, which is starting to look more likely

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Does the "if you don't like it then you can GIT OUT" maxim of the right wing apply to this case?

Not to be glib, but a Westernized HK dealt a mortal wound the day Britain returned the property to China. The power dynamics have changed so China doesn't have to play nice about it anymore.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    i don't think it's refundable, but will be transferable for a fee so i will be able to use it for another of my upcoming international trips. tomorrow i will be calling our travel agent to see what my options are if we have to cancel, which is starting to look more likely
    Did you get trip insurance with the carrier? If you did, "domestic unrest" is frequently one of the buyouts...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

ďI would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.Ē Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Did you get trip insurance with the carrier? If you did, "domestic unrest" is frequently one of the buyouts...
    we don't use trip insurance. on the couple of times i've had to cancel trips last minute, i have just paid the change fee and used it for another trip.

updates from cnn

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon