protests in hong kong

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They’re not really communist anymore. It’s capitalism with Chinese characteristics. At least that is what they say these days. As far as I can tell it is the worst parts of capitalism without any of the freedom benefits.
It's also the worst parts of communism (all-powerful oligarchy with a willingness to use the military to squash any opposition).

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
really? that's getting pretty far out there.
I think the assertion that a well-armed citizenship would be steam-rolled by their government is 'pretty far out there' - there are essentially no examples of armed societies being steam-rolled by their governments. All the great government-led genocides have come after disarming the population (Stalin, Mao, Hitler, etc).

I'd argue that your suggestion is the one needing proof.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think the assertion that a well-armed citizenship would be steam-rolled by their government is 'pretty far out there' - there are essentially no examples of armed societies being steam-rolled by their governments. All the great government-led genocides have come after disarming the population (Stalin, Mao, Hitler, etc).

I'd argue that your suggestion is the one needing proof.
please. you honestly expect me to believe that china wouldn't have destroyed the hong kong protesters had they been armed? that is patently absurd. they are basically telling hong kong to get the protesters in line or else, and that is with the protesters using $6 laser pointers and signs.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
please. you honestly expect me to believe that china wouldn't have destroyed the hong kong protesters had they been armed? that is patently absurd. they are basically telling hong kong to get the protesters in line or else, and that is with the protesters using $6 laser pointers and signs.
*sigh*

No point in side-tracking this one further, you're only going to argue points that make sense to you instead of looking at the larger picture.

Back to the protests.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
*sigh*

No point in side-tracking this one further, you're only going to argue points that make sense to you instead of looking at the larger picture.

Back to the protests.
i see the larger picture. you are the one that posted the ridiculous meme implying that more guns would make this situation better for the protestors/hong kong residents, which i will point out again is patently absurd.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
i see the larger picture. you are the one that posted the ridiculous meme implying that more guns would make this situation better for the protestors/hong kong residents, which i will point out again is patently absurd.
Agree to disagree, so let's get back to the discussion about the protests.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i'm guessing if this weekend/next week is relatively calm, my trip will be a go. somewhat selfishly, i would like an excuse to cancel this trip. it is a complete p.i.t.a. trip i have to take every year for this trade show and it also makes me miss my anniversary.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I never get this concept that an armed populace would deter an authoritarian government that is equipped with weapons that could kill or disable thousands in seconds without destroying a single building. We can debate the aftermath of such action but not the fact that these governments wield the ultimate power to put down protest once the decision is made.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
i'm guessing if this weekend/next week is relatively calm, my trip will be a go. somewhat selfishly, i would like an excuse to cancel this trip. it is a complete p.i.t.a. trip i have to take every year for this trade show and it also makes me miss my anniversary.
Yah, and stepping into such a volatile situation just adds to the anxiety. I suspect you'll be fine no matter what, but it's reminder of the calm we take for granted a vast majority of our lives.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yah, and stepping into such a volatile situation just adds to the anxiety. I suspect you'll be fine no matter what, but it's reminder of the calm we take for granted a vast majority of our lives.
honestly, my biggest worry would be getting stuck there for a few extra days. that would be a big inconvenience, but if that did happen, our hk partners would bend over backwards to make everything as smooth as possible.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I have a good friend living in Hong Kong, an Auburn grad who I worked with in the US, and I worry about his family and even his ability to communicate on social media. I would not fly into Hong Kong under any imaginable circumstances with the Chinese military poised nearby in case they decide it is necessary to enter the city. Just saying! There are many unknowable's in this situation.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
They’re not really communist anymore. It’s capitalism with Chinese characteristics. At least that is what they say these days. As far as I can tell it is the worst parts of capitalism without any of the freedom benefits.
Hong Kong will be sad when it finds out that it has missed out on it's chance for a Great Leap Forward or a Cultural Revolution.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
And the PLA is counting heads and inventory their small arms ammo stockpiles...
The operational planners turn to the logistics planners and ask in Chinese, "Hey bud. We got enough ammo to handle that?"
"Yeah, we've got enough ammo to handle that. No problem."

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
And the PLA is counting heads and inventory their small arms ammo stockpiles...
The operational planners turn to the logistics planners and ask in Chinese, "Hey bud. We got enough ammo to handle that?"
"Yeah, we've got enough ammo to handle that. No problem."
Aye. Doesn't hurt that none of the protesters has weapon tech newer than a few thousand years old.

But China has to be very careful here - this isn't Tiananmen Square...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.