News Article: SI names Bama greatest of all-time - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Re: SI names Bama greatest of all-time

Another list from the "How I Wish Things Were" department.

We've settled the top five. The only "real" debate with the top 5 is whether Ohio St is ahead of Notre Dame.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Another list from the "How I Wish Things Were" department.

We've settled the top five. The only "real" debate with the top 5 is whether Ohio St is ahead of Notre Dame.
    IMO, right now OSU is #2. If ND wins another one they would likely jump us again.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    IMO, right now OSU is #2. If ND wins another one they would likely jump us again.
    A defensible position.

As I said on the other thread, post-1965 it's undoubtedly OSU.

All-time, though? I just have a hard time AT THIS POINT moving OSU ahead. Give it another OSU title or another 20-30 years as now, and I agree.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Notre Dame has not won a NC in 31 years. 31 YEARS. I think that’s the longest drought for any of the blue bloods.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; August 14th, 2019 at 09:31 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

We
    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    A defensible position.

As I said on the other thread, post-1965 it's undoubtedly OSU.

All-time, though? I just have a hard time AT THIS POINT moving OSU ahead. Give it another OSU title or another 20-30 years as now, and I agree.
    I think pre-1965 it’s a close debate between Oklahoma and Ohio State at this point. Both have a good case to make.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Notre Dame has not won a NC in 31 years. 31 YEARS. I think that’s the longest drought for any of the blue bloods.
    Using that barometer, Oklahoma has won ONE during that same time frame.

Ohio State once went 34 years between titles (32 if we actually want to count the NFF title in 1970).

There was once a 28-year span where Alabama won exactly one national title.

Even conceding the Irish haven't won a title since 1988:
    a) they got flat out jobbed in 1993
    b) they played in the game that determined the champion in 1989 and lost a title head-to-head in 2012

Now, the Irish HAVE been low tide for them. But it takes a whole lot of "other things" to make up the national title gap.

We

I think pre-1965 it’s a close debate between Oklahoma and Ohio State at this point. Both have a good case to make.
    For number 2?

Notre Dame won 7 national titles prior to 1965 and (God help us) an eighth in 1966.

That's more than OU has in their entire history.

Again - I'll concede it has moved from "Notre Dame is top all-time" in 1989 to "we can legitimately dispute whether they're even #2 now." That's true. And as more years go by and more fans come to the game that don't have any memory or knowledge of Notre Dame actually being dominant, the pendulum swings in favor of Ohio St and OU.

I DO think (at this point) the Irish are still #2 overall - but as I said on the other thread, compelling cases can be made for OU, Ohio State, and USC.

In my view, those are the indisputable 2 through 5 schools.....the only debate is the order.

This is one of those where I do think rational fans can disagree charitably, so it's not like I'm going to go to the mat for Notre Dame. I just think when the time frame is "all-time," we're talking about a school with Rockne, Leahy, Thomas, Parseghian, Devine, and Holtz, a bunch of wins in big games, and a bunch of national titles.

While acknowledging 1993 for ND and the post-2000 success of Oklahoma, I still find it interesting that both OU and ND—two undisputed blue bloods—have combined for only two NC’s in the last 31 years, and only three in the last 40.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

While acknowledging 1993 for ND and the post-2000 success of Oklahoma, I still find it interesting that both OU and ND—two undisputed blue bloods—have combined for only two NC’s in the last 31 years, and only three in the last 40.
    Notre Dame is easily understood given their very high admission requirements. It is hard to win championships when you can't even recruit most 4 and 5 star players. And, IMO, the Sooners are only great when they have an exceptional head coach.

BamaNation All-American alabama mike1's Avatar

Oklahoma 10th? If you go back to the Bud Wilkinson days, Barry Switzer, Big Game Bob and etc. OU has had very good teams with the exception of just a few years. 896 wins, 324 loses, 53 ties, 46 conference championships, 51 bowl appearances and 35 10 win seasons. They do not belong in 10th place and I am not even a Sooner fan. 5 losing seasons since the Wilkinson era: 60,65, 96,97 & 98.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama mike1 View Post
    Oklahoma 10th? If you go back to the Bud Wilkinson days, Barry Switzer, Big Game Bob and etc. OU has had very good teams with the exception of just a few years. 896 wins, 324 loses, 53 ties, 46 conference championships, 51 bowl appearances and 35 10 win seasons. They do not belong in 10th place and I am not even a Sooner fan. 5 losing seasons since the Wilkinson era: 60,65, 96,97 & 98.
    I hate Oklahoma.

But OU is a long-term blue blood and one of the great programs of all-time.

Yeah, it's amazing how once the national title became a HEAD-TO-HEAD game as opposed to a popularity contest, they ceased winning national titles left and right.

OU's 1950 national title is every bit as "controversial" as ours from 1964, but for some reason I never hear much about it. (And to be fair to OU, there are several other teams that won a title and then lost the bowl game).

Anyone want to guess how many actual HEAD-TO-HEAD national championships OU won?

Try two, 1985 and 2000. And they didn't even belong in the game in 1985, but "We, the writers, like Oklahoma and don't know much about Miami, so, we'll let Oklahoma play for the title despite a head-to-head loss."

How many did Notre Dame win head-to-head?

1973 and 1988 (and maybe 1/2 credit for 1977)

Here's a riot for you: in both 1946 AND 1966, Notre Dame tied the other "contender" and won the national title at the other team's expense.

Why? "Well, see, Notre Dame is just good something something."

It's no accident that the moment teams had to play head-to-head games and remove us from the days of biased voting, some teams have not done nearly so well.

Miami would have a much harder time compiling that dynasty, too. Miami won head-to-head titles in 1983, 1987, and 2001, but they lost them in 1986, 1992, and 2002.

The three titles won by Florida (1996, 2006, 2008) have more legitimacy to establishing "best team" than Miami's voted titles of 1989 and 1991.

Alabama, quite frankly, has been the only school to thrive regardless.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CHATTBRIT's Avatar

These fool SI writers are not happy unless they are trying to rewrite college football history. Surprise, surprise, college football was played long before the AP titles were invented. FYI SI Bama will be going for 18 this season, not 12 according to you lot.
    Manchester City 2017-2018 English Premier League Champions & Carabou Cup Winners
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag