News Article: SI names Bama greatest of all-time

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Lots of inaccuracies there as far as number of National Championships. It's been a long drought for many of those other 9 teams so it will be interesting to see which of those 9 will win another next. I'll predict it won't be UT.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Another list from the "How I Wish Things Were" department.

We've settled the top five. The only "real" debate with the top 5 is whether Ohio St is ahead of Notre Dame.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Another list from the "How I Wish Things Were" department.

We've settled the top five. The only "real" debate with the top 5 is whether Ohio St is ahead of Notre Dame.
IMO, right now OSU is #2. If ND wins another one they would likely jump us again.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
IMO, right now OSU is #2. If ND wins another one they would likely jump us again.
A defensible position.

As I said on the other thread, post-1965 it's undoubtedly OSU.

All-time, though? I just have a hard time AT THIS POINT moving OSU ahead. Give it another OSU title or another 20-30 years as now, and I agree.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
We
A defensible position.

As I said on the other thread, post-1965 it's undoubtedly OSU.

All-time, though? I just have a hard time AT THIS POINT moving OSU ahead. Give it another OSU title or another 20-30 years as now, and I agree.
I think pre-1965 it’s a close debate between Oklahoma and Ohio State at this point. Both have a good case to make.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Notre Dame has not won a NC in 31 years. 31 YEARS. I think that’s the longest drought for any of the blue bloods.
Using that barometer, Oklahoma has won ONE during that same time frame.

Ohio State once went 34 years between titles (32 if we actually want to count the NFF title in 1970).

There was once a 28-year span where Alabama won exactly one national title.

Even conceding the Irish haven't won a title since 1988:
a) they got flat out jobbed in 1993
b) they played in the game that determined the champion in 1989 and lost a title head-to-head in 2012

Now, the Irish HAVE been low tide for them. But it takes a whole lot of "other things" to make up the national title gap.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We

I think pre-1965 it’s a close debate between Oklahoma and Ohio State at this point. Both have a good case to make.
For number 2?

Notre Dame won 7 national titles prior to 1965 and (God help us) an eighth in 1966.

That's more than OU has in their entire history.

Again - I'll concede it has moved from "Notre Dame is top all-time" in 1989 to "we can legitimately dispute whether they're even #2 now." That's true. And as more years go by and more fans come to the game that don't have any memory or knowledge of Notre Dame actually being dominant, the pendulum swings in favor of Ohio St and OU.

I DO think (at this point) the Irish are still #2 overall - but as I said on the other thread, compelling cases can be made for OU, Ohio State, and USC.

In my view, those are the indisputable 2 through 5 schools.....the only debate is the order.

This is one of those where I do think rational fans can disagree charitably, so it's not like I'm going to go to the mat for Notre Dame. I just think when the time frame is "all-time," we're talking about a school with Rockne, Leahy, Thomas, Parseghian, Devine, and Holtz, a bunch of wins in big games, and a bunch of national titles.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.