News Article: SI's Top 10 coaches of all time - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

Re: SI's Top 10 coaches of all time

Can I nominate Gus to be on the list, just to make The Barners feel better about him, then hopefully give him a lifetime contact for making the list..

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Yeah, Solich was 58-19 in 6 season as NU head coach and they fired him for Bill Callahan, not smart. Callahan was 27-22 in 4 seasons.
    I wasn't in Nebraska when they sacked Solich, but I was when they did it to Pelini. While most would agree that what Pelini said justified a firing, I think 90% of what he said was justified. Nebraska fans were obnoxious lunatics after the first Wisconsin matchup, and they were already ready to fire him when Russell Wilson and all the great runningbacks went crazy on him at Camp Randall. You see Nebraska fans for years believed Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, and Wisconsin were inferior to the Big XII, and that they were going to just waltz into Indy and Pasadena every year. I kid you not, during the CWS in 2011 and before the season there were multiple beer gardens and bars raffling Big 10 championship and Rose bowl tickets away expecting Nebraska to be at both places. But Pelini was treated horribly by Nebraska fans from 2010 on, but his mistake was stooping to their level and trusting everyone on the BOT.

But the funniest part about the firing of Pelini was the coaching search and the eventual hiring of Rielly. Nebraska was stupid enough to believe Bielema was serious when he said he was interested in coming to Lincoln, when everyone knew he was playing his game to get more money.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Yeah, the hiring of Mike Reilly was a huge mis-judgement on somebody's part. I think Reilly was a good coach at Oregon State and could consistency turn out 6 to 8 win seasons, but at Nebraska, in the B1G, that was not acceptable. Pellini was a walking time bomb. They have an excellent coach now in Frost, he will bring them back to respectability, but I am not sure he can deliver their return to glory.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

We
    Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    I cant stand Urban Meyer, but what he accomplished demands my respect. His combination of win percentage, longevity, schedule played, and number of coaching stops makes him an automatic top 5 all-time coach.
    One other thing—he was 2-2 against the GOAT, and 2-1 against the GOAT in meaningful games. (Bama Bham I include both of those records out of respect for you)
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Yeah, the hiring of Mike Reilly was a huge mis-judgement on somebody's part. I think Reilly was a good coach at Oregon State and could consistency turn out 6 to 8 win seasons, but at Nebraska, in the B1G, that was not acceptable. Pellini was a walking time bomb. They have an excellent coach now in Frost, he will bring them back to respectability, but I am not sure he can deliver their return to glory.

I think Reilly was the best they could get. Callahan too. Don't get me wrong... I'm sure there other coaches out there that would have taken the job and maybe worked out better, but these two were the best that the hiring folks could get at the time. Just like us and Mike Shula... there were others out there that would have taken the job, but the personalities involved believed Mike Shula was the best they could get at the time. I believe the Nebraska folks miscalculated the value they carried on the market.. As other have said, Solich and Pelini both were really good coaches that had Nebraska running as well as could be expected, but the Nebraska folks were still living in a Big 8 world that died in 1996.

I find it utterly absurd that they believed they were going to walk right into the Big 10 and dominate. They never even dominated the Big 12, which was a weaker conference overall, once you got past Oklahoma and Texas. Think about it... they were never even able to dominate their division. They couldn't manage Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State, and Colorado. How were they going to overcome Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Iowa and any kind of regular basis? I've come around to 81usaf92's way of thinking (he's obviously had a front row seat). Those people are woefully out of touch with reality.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I find it utterly absurd that they believed they were going to walk right into the Big 10 and dominate. They never even dominated the Big 12, which was a weaker conference overall, once you got past Oklahoma and Texas. Think about it... they were never even able to dominate their division. They couldn't manage Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State, and Colorado. How were they going to overcome Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Iowa and any kind of regular basis? I've come around to 81usaf92's way of thinking (he's obviously had a front row seat). Those people are woefully out of touch with reality.
    I doubt that more reality-based administration actually thought this. They left the Big 12 because:
    a) the Big 12 was imploding and at the time they left, it was far from certain there would even be a Big 12
    b) Texas had way too much sway
    c) The Big 10 - starting in 2017 - not only offered stability but more cash

The last one was the most important regardless of what anyone thinks otherwise.

However, there IS an epidemic of "refusal to accept reality" in a vocal portion of the cornfield based fan fase. That's true.

It IS possible for them to win a national title; it is NOT possible for them to win 3 out of 4 ever again.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    3 championships, two different schools, with two different coaching staffs, in the best 2 conferences in college football. Add the 13-2 bowl record and the 187-32 W/L record and there are not 9 better - even if you squint and look at the stats sideways.
    Impressive, indeed. The issue that many of us might have is that his career was just too short. True enough, he may come back sometime. And he will be successful again. But, the abrupt end at Florida, and the rather abrupt end again in Columbus just doesn't do his skill justice. Last season, when he was active, myself and everyone I know thought of Coach Urban as the second best in the game, still coaching.

On Coach Paterno, it's crushing to see that a lack of judgement took away all the good he did for football players at Penn State. The longevity, the discipline, all there, but poor judgement, maybe not even intentionally, will forever mar his accomplishments. I still think highly of Coach Paterno, but a bit less than I did before what we know now, became known.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I doubt that more reality-based administration actually thought this. They left the Big 12 because:
    a) the Big 12 was imploding and at the time they left, it was far from certain there would even be a Big 12
    b) Texas had way too much sway
    c) The Big 10 - starting in 2017 - not only offered stability but more cash

The last one was the most important regardless of what anyone thinks otherwise.

However, there IS an epidemic of "refusal to accept reality" in a vocal portion of the cornfield based fan fase. That's true.

It IS possible for them to win a national title; it is NOT possible for them to win 3 out of 4 ever again.
    The Big 10 is definitely more stable and prosperous. I guess I should have said their fan base was (is?) out of touch with reality. I honestly can't see Frost doing any better than a Pelini did there. I guess we'll see.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

I think Reilly was the best they could get. Callahan too. Don't get me wrong... I'm sure there other coaches out there that would have taken the job and maybe worked out better, but these two were the best that the hiring folks could get at the time. Just like us and Mike Shula... there were others out there that would have taken the job, but the personalities involved believed Mike Shula was the best they could get at the time. .
    Yes and no. There were far better coaches with some Nebraska and midwestern ties available. One name that continuously came out was Craig Bohl. But rumors I heard was that he was willing to stay at Wyoming unless Nebraska started shelling out Nick Saban numbers because he wasnt going to come to that madness without getting paid well enough to ignore the shenanigans from the cornfield. Then they went all in after Bielema, and got played. I think Reilly maybe was the best "name" coach left after those two were off the board, but there were alot of better coaches without a big name that were available.

I believe the Nebraska folks miscalculated the value they carried on the market.. As other have said, Solich and Pelini both were really good coaches that had Nebraska running as well as could be expected, but the Nebraska folks were still living in a Big 8 world that died in 1996.

Even though Im probably one of the biggest pelini defenders (maybe the only one) on here, he needed to be fired because he got to the point where he didnt care what he said anymore. It really got to the point that both sides needed to go their separate ways
    Last edited by 81usaf92; August 19th, 2019 at 01:27 PM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jashleyren2 View Post
    Impressive, indeed. The issue that many of us might have is that his career was just too short.
    Meyer's coaching career was 100 games more than Knute Rockne - in a vastly more competitive era - and is 3rd behind Rockne and Leahy in winning pct among FBS.

True enough, he may come back sometime. And he will be successful again. But, the abrupt end at Florida, and the rather abrupt end again in Columbus just doesn't do his skill justice. Last season, when he was active, myself and everyone I know thought of Coach Urban as the second best in the game, still coaching.
    The bizarre thing to me is this: when Kobe Bryant was facing rape charges and did well, we were told how this was the mark of a great player - his ability to "block out distractions". Same thing with Ray Lewis, when he took his team to the Super Bowl right after a murder trial.

Urban Meyer or Tom Osborne, though, puts a winning team on the field (Oz winning the 95 national title) that has all kinds of distractions to overcome........and we're told they're selling their souls for fame and glory. I can't defend what went on at Ohio St.

I'm not knocking Kobe Bryant not elevating the latter two (since each case involves abusing women, they are substantially closer in nature than the Ray Lewis one). But it just seems to me there's a predetermined narrative in some of these things.

Let's talk about Urban's end at Florida. The guy had a health scare. Yeah, he ran a modern-day Miami Hurricanes of the 1980s.

Uh, he also recruited so good a team that a no talent coach like Will Muschamp had them on the verge of a BCS title berth. So this whole "he left a mess in Florida" is sorta contradicted by what happened later. Will Muschamp is not such a legendary coach that in the second year after Meyer left he turned in one of the 5 best teams in the country.

On Coach Paterno, it's crushing to see that a lack of judgement took away all the good he did for football players at Penn State. The longevity, the discipline, all there, but poor judgement, maybe not even intentionally, will forever mar his accomplishments. I still think highly of Coach Paterno, but a bit less than I did before what we know now, became known.
    I think less of Joe Paterno than I do of John Wayne Gacy.

But the fact remains he DID win those games, plain and simple. I don't consider Cam Newton to be that bad, but I have no doubt he knew what was going on.....but the dollars don't throw the passes or block the field goals, either.

Pete Rose got all those hits and Barry Bonds hit all those home runs - period.

That's just how I look at it, even with folks I don't like.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.