OSU wants to trademark 'The'

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Technically, we are the only Ohio State University. There is no other school with that name. There is also an Ohio University, located in the state of Ohio - note the different name.
Visited Athens. I liked it a lot. It looked like a college town. Could not face Columbus traffic, so I gave tOSU a pass. Maybe i missed out. My frame of reference was the University of Texas, another big state university embedded in the state capital city. I was underwhelmed with UT's campus. It was hard to tell where the campus ended and the city began.
I know why the idiots added "The" a while back and have always thought it was stupid. If your reputation as a university is not enough to adequately distinguish you from the other schools in the state, the name really doesn't matter. And our reputation has been suffering of late, so this just makes the school look worse.
I have no problem with trademarking "The" in connection with "Ohio State University," I guess. It does sound a little insecure, though. It sounds like the proponents are a little worried that folks might mistake the University of Ohio for tOSU.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Visited Athens. I liked it a lot. It looked like a college town. Could not face Columbus traffic, so I gave tOSU a pass. Maybe i missed out. My frame of reference was the University of Texas, another big state university embedded in the state capital city. I was underwhelmed with UT's campus. It was hard to tell where the campus ended and the city began.
Columbus traffic is terrible, to be sure. There really is nothing to do outside of a game day other than eat and/or drink. The bar/restaurant scene is amazing for a medium sized mid-western city, but only worth it if you are in town for other reasons.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
You know what? I am going to get the alphabet trademark. Any word you say, write, type, etc and ALL THE MONEY will be come to me.

(laughs evilly for a moment then coughs)

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I think they should trademark Michigan football while they are at it ...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I believe they've already trademarked "The Ohio State University." No problem with that. I don't think this is serious, just a PR move. They have about as much chance, no, less, than when Gates tried to trademark "windows"...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
So if they get that approved, we can't use "the" in any of our posts unless we pay royalties?!? :conf2:

What a bonehead move by somebody in "the" OSU administration... :cool2:

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Isn't our official name The University of Alabama? Thought I remembered a professor saying once that us and OSU were the only two Uni's at the time that had "The" as part of the official name.

But then again, the mid 90's are kind of foggy....

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.