Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I just can't see them getting their druthers on this one. Nice try but I just can't see it. Like you said, only in America.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I’d like to bust on the Buckeyes for being boneheads about this but given some of the stuff my alma mater has pulled (trying to trademark houndstooth, e.g.) think I will just laugh on the inside....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This would make more sense if Ohio State University actually had a decent rival/foe in "Ohio University" in Athens, Ohio.:rolleye2:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Technically they’re just an Ohio state university, not “the” only one...
Technically, we are the only Ohio State University. There is no other school with that name. There is also an Ohio University, located in the state of Ohio - note the different name.

I know why the idiots added "The" a while back and have always thought it was stupid. If your reputation as a university is not enough to adequately distinguish you from the other schools in the state, the name really doesn't matter. And our reputation has been suffering of late, so this just makes the school look worse.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Technically, we are the only Ohio State University. There is no other school with that name. There is also an Ohio University, located in the state of Ohio - note the different name.
Maybe y'all can have it TM'd in Sicily where with a little variation on the language you become Un Malocchio State U.

Or maybe it's only to be TM'd in New Zealand, where exporting the T-H-E enables "THEOSU!" - Tongan for "We can haka down too!"

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

I know why the idiots added "The" a while back and have always thought it was stupid. If your reputation as a university is not enough to adequately distinguish you from the other schools in the state, the name really doesn't matter. And our reputation has been suffering of late, so this just makes the school look worse.
There are other universities in the state of Ohio, that’s all I was saying ;)

Imdone

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2019
Unless I'm mistaken I believe they could trademark "The Ohio State University" in it's entirety, but the word "the" by itself can not be trademarked. The word "the" has nothing that makes it unique. Therefore it's not trade markable.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.