News Article: Dabo Swinney is College Football’s Real Evil Villain - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Dabo Swinney is College Football’s Real Evil Villain

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    If we're placing all the cards on the table, one wonders how he has recruited (and somehow kept NFL eligible players) as well as he did before the last three seasons.

I don't think anything about the man has changed at all - virtually every Christian I've ever know who wore it on their sleeves ended up being a dirtbag, using religion as their cover. That, combined with his history at UA and his current recruiting prowess makes it very difficult for me to to believe he's a changed man.

I think he does what he thinks he has to in order to win, and it's no different than it was 20 years ago.

But that's just me, and it's one of the reasons I don't want him anywhere near our beloved program, wins or no.

ETA: and I'm saying all this as a Christian. I just don't feel like I have to work that fact into every conversation I have or feel like it's necessary in order to establish good character or morals.
    I understand perfectly. I guess I'm hoping he's moved past his history. BTW, did you get my text last night from the Microwave Dave concert?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I simply do not care what Swinney says or does, good or bad, it is on Clemson. Like him or not, he will be around for quite a while so you had better get used to his antics and commentary. Like Earle said, I am put off by his over the top references to religion and "family".
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I understand perfectly. I guess I'm hoping he's moved past his history. BTW, did you get my text last night from the Microwave Dave concert?
    Aye, good to see him still killing it! Was at the beach so I've been in and out.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I simply do not care what Swinney says or does, good or bad, it is on Clemson. Like him or not, he will be around for quite a while so you had better get used to his antics and commentary. Like Earle said, I am put off by his over the top references to religion and "family".
    My response to Dabo posts revolve 100% around Bama fans who want him to come after Saban leaves.

If there was not a group of people eventually wanting him at Bama, I'd not care less how much of a cheese bag he is.

BamaNation All-American

I guess that "Aw, shucks" attitude sells in many places....................I just laugh and go on

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

The "aw shucks attitude" sells at Clemson because Clemson is not Alabama.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    The "aw shucks attitude" sells at Clemson because Clemson is not Alabama.
    True....................their fans love Dabo, and swear he would never leave them for another love. But they can never acknowledge without spasms of angst that their success and relevance came about because of Bama alumni

BamaNation All-American

Idk I took this article as "hey, I know everyone is kind of obsessed with Clemson and Dabo at the moment. And we seem to see them as the white knight to Saban and Alabama's Death Star, but maybe we should look at this a little closer"

But, that's just what I got out of it. Not so much that Dabo is evil or anything.

Sure, it was fun to watch Clemson run all over Alabama in the national title game last year. Nick Saban is such a notorious villain at this point that it was undeniably pleasant to see him have to eat it a little bit. But it is worth noting: Of the two coaches on the field that night, Saban is the one who believes it’s unfair not to pay college players, not Swinney. Whom are we supposed to be rooting against, again?

FB|BB Moderator

Yes, I wish Dabo would shut up. But he's not evil incarnate. He's just now experiencing what it is to be the hunted, as opposed to the hunter.

If Saban keeled over today, or took it to Lake Burton after this season, I'd still offer him our job, imperfections acknowledged. That feeling might change over time. Today, he'd probably turn it down for a lot of reasons. But if you're Greg Byrne and Stewart Bell, you have to make him do that...you have to exhaust that possibility.

I understand the aversion to some of Dabo's characteristics. But if not him, who? Who would be better, and why?
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    I understand the aversion to some of Dabo's characteristics. But if not him, who? Who would be better, and why?
    Anyone who doesn't have a history of (being part of) us getting nailed by the NCAA is a good start.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Anyone who doesn't have a history of (being part of) us getting nailed by the NCAA is a good start.
    It's worth noting that when Bama was doing the stuff that got us nailed, DuBose himself had an odd perspective on religion, to say the least. In my opinion, that's not one, but two strikes against Dabo returning.