Anybody Else Both Look Forward To and Dread Scrimmage Reports?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Any word on whether Jahleel Billinsley can help us immediately at TE ? He is listed under 230, so I'd assume blocking would not be his strong suit right off the bat.
I saw a premium article from one of the services that had a blurb about how he has impressed and done well. I would think at how thin we are at TE he will contribute this year. We really don't have a Irv Smith type guy coming back but Billingsley fits that bill.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Any word on whether Jahleel Billinsley can help us immediately at TE ? He is listed under 230, so I'd assume blocking would not be his strong suit right off the bat.
The fact is that where we're deficient is in big blocking TEs, particularly with our red zone woes. "Good Hands" TEs are a luxury, but the truth is that we have plenty of good hands receivers...

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
That position is coming along. I can't feel good about starting an ILB true frosh, no matter how talented, and having him receive OJT. That tells me worlds about the competition and it's not good...
Any word on Benton? Last week it was said he had been the best lb on the field. He always looked lost last year when on the field so I was glad to hear something good about him. Now no mention in anything I've read about the last scrimmage.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Any word on Benton? Last week it was said he had been the best lb on the field. He always looked lost last year when on the field so I was glad to hear something good about him. Now no mention in anything I've read about the last scrimmage.
I've not read anything on him which I remember. I'll be surprised at this point if Harris isn't the starter. Saban practically named him in his presser. We'll see, I guess...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I saw a premium article from one of the services that had a blurb about how he has impressed and done well. I would think at how thin we are at TE he will contribute this year. We really don't have a Irv Smith type guy coming back but Billingsley fits that bill.
I wouldn't sleep on Latu - he's close to 250, and reports have said might have best hands in the TE group.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Harris might surprise us all.......
agreed - I think we all knew he is a freakish athlete to have played WR and DB at 230LBs but I know at least I thought it would take some time for him to learn how to play ILB since that was new to him and he didn't enroll in spring. All the other guys we had start as TF at ILB had played there in HS. If Harris starts against Duke, that will be his first ever in game rep at ILB and will be happening in his first ever game in college. Surely that's something that hasn't happened before...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I wouldn't sleep on Latu - he's close to 250, and reports have said might have best hands in the TE group.
Yea, there is a guy on twitter who said Latu was very impressive and said he caught everything thrown his way. He also said that he was sitting next to a "former big name player" who told him "that guy will be playing on Sundays"

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
agreed - I think we all knew he is a freakish athlete to have played WR and DB at 230LBs but I know at least I thought it would take some time for him to learn how to play ILB since that was new to him and he didn't enroll in spring. All the other guys we had start as TF at ILB had played there in HS. If Harris starts against Duke, that will be his first ever in game rep at ILB and will be happening in his first ever game in college. Surely that's something that hasn't happened before...
It's scarcely believable, to tell the truth. The term "freakish athlete" is overused, but this has got to be where it fits. If he can add a few pounds and maintain his quickness, we could be looking at our next legendary LB...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Yea, there is a guy on twitter who said Latu was very impressive and said he caught everything thrown his way. He also said that he was sitting next to a "former big name player" who told him "that guy will be playing on Sundays"
that's great to hear. looks like Latu is embracing the move also since he changed numbers to 81

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It's scarcely believable, to tell the truth. The term "freakish athlete" is overused, but this has got to be where it fits. If he can add a few pounds and maintain his quickness, we could be looking at our next legendary LB...
If thats true then there probably isn't going to be a more athletic ILB pair in the country.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I've not read anything on him which I remember. I'll be surprised at this point if Harris isn't the starter. Saban practically named him in his presser. We'll see, I guess...
Benton is good friend with Kendrick James... so, one day He was practicing with the 1st team.. and then suddenly, we see Harris popping up as 1st team... Gotta believe it may be maturity issue? I dunno.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
agreed - we list him at 244 now, so in our new world of slightly smaller, faster athletes at ILB he's basically already the prototype. All our most recent starters have been in the 230-240 range.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Saban probably sees something really special in the guy.......

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Benton is good friend with Kendrick James... so, one day He was practicing with the 1st team.. and then suddenly, we see Harris popping up as 1st team... Gotta believe it may be maturity issue? I dunno.
Or it could be Benton was making some plays as some people reported in the last scrimmage but he was also not in the right place at times or not physical enough at times or had a bad week of practice since the last scrimmage. We will probably never know but it seems he may not be a good as Harris.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Or it could be Benton was making some plays as some people reported in the last scrimmage but he was also not in the right place at times or not physical enough at times or had a bad week of practice since the last scrimmage. We will probably never know but it seems he may not be a good as Harris.
I think Benton is good at what he does... Is it between his head... or whwat? We will see when we play against Duke.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
As impressive athletically as Harris must be, I just can`t see him making the on field calls for the sets on D. Who then? Moses almost by default? Maybe one of the safeties?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.