Anybody Else Both Look Forward To and Dread Scrimmage Reports?

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Saban's press conference from the last scrimmage has me pretty excited. He described the offense in pretty glowing terms. I had heard lots of pundits praising Harris at the level that Waddle was getting praised last off season. Prior to McMillon getting injured most just thought he would contribute later on in the year. Coach rarely speaks about players the way he did about Harris there, particularly a freshman player. His thoughts on the offensive line made me happy as well. We need to keep some of our guys healthy on defense particularly dline and lb and we should be ready to roll. I think the secondary is going to be a real strength of the team this year, lots of really good players that coach has said really nice things about.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Saban's press conference from the last scrimmage has me pretty excited. He described the offense in pretty glowing terms. I had heard lots of pundits praising Harris at the level that Waddle was getting praised last off season. Prior to McMillon getting injured most just thought he would contribute later on in the year. Coach rarely speaks about players the way he did about Harris there, particularly a freshman player. His thoughts on the offensive line made me happy as well. We need to keep some of our guys healthy on defense particularly dline and lb and we should be ready to roll. I think the secondary is going to be a real strength of the team this year, lots of really good players that coach has said really nice things about.
I think you're right that Saban thinks Harris is our best option, even acknowledging his inexperience. He's going to start against Duke.

He might be the next in the coach-on-the-field progression of McLain to Mosley to Ragland. He might be in over his head.

My money's on Saban's evaluation.

As impressive athletically as Harris must be, I just can`t see him making the on field calls for the sets on D. Who then? Moses almost by default? Maybe one of the safeties?
Early on, I agree. No way Harris is ready for that today.

But playing the ILB alpha dog for Saban is at least much mental as it is physical. My guess is that they ease him into that responsibility over time.

Moses and/or Carter (assuming a it's even possible for a DB to get LBs lined up right) call plays while games are still in doubt. Harris tries his hand late.

He'll make his OTJT mistakes relatively insulated from season-changing consequences.

To come full circle: If Saban is gushing (for him, talking about a true freshman), it's not about physical ability alone.

He sees a grasp of the mental aspects well beyond what you'd expect from a guy who, this time last year, hadn't played a game in his senior season of HS football.

I'll be fascinated to see how this progresses.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Harris has to be legit because Saban doesn't do this often. The only other time I remember stepping him out like this with his praise was a preseason PC talking about JK Scott...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Okay, so Benton taking reps behind Moses in practice today because Harris has a huge brace on his left knee and is moving gingerly. SMH

Not sure what is up with Jennings and his knee. He hasn't practiced much in a while.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Okay, so Benton taking reps behind Moses in practice today because Harris has a huge brace on his left knee and is moving gingerly. SMH

Not sure what is up with Jennings and his knee. He hasn't practiced much in a while.
The injuries really are unbelievable. I'm trying to be a good Saban disciple, and not develop a case of "poor me" syndrome. But I have to confess, it isn't easy.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Cecil Hurt tweeted that Harris practiced alongside Moses so maybe he just didn’t participate during the opening viewing period?

Conflicting information so I’m not sure.

At this point I hope some guys are just being held out for precautionary reasons but will be okay in a couple weeks.

Jennings is very concerning as B1G says above he’s not seemingly been involved much at all in Fall camp.

Fingers crossed that Will Reichard can break the PK curse because we will need all the dependable offense possible until we can figure out what we have and don’t have on Defense.

It’s time for special teams to step up and help.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

Hopefully just precautionary measures for some minor issues or "stingers"...………….it does seem like they are getting more than their fare share lately

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Cecil Hurt tweeted that Harris practiced alongside Moses so maybe he just didn’t participate during the opening viewing period?

Conflicting information so I’m not sure.
I read that, but there is video of Harris in the practice in the knee brace, jogging gingerly and not going through the drills. He was in Crimson, and with his squad, but walking with them, not going through the drills.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I read that, but there is video of Harris in the practice in the knee brace, jogging gingerly and not going through the drills. He was in Crimson, and with his squad, but walking with them, not going through the drills.
Could be a bruised knee...............Lord knows when I had one I was walking like I was on egg shells...........hopefully nothing more

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Could be a bruised knee...............Lord knows when I had one I was walking like I was on egg shells...........hopefully nothing more
Hasn`t been mentioned in any injury reports nor has anything leaked of which I`m aware. Considering the hypersensitivity of everybody when it comes to LBs, you`d think if it was anything approaching serious we`d know somehow. Watched the tape. Not an orthopod for sure, but I just wonder if we`re not in an " abundance of caution " mode ( which is fine if we are ). Not saying he doesn`t have a bruise or some kind of strain/sprain, but I can`t imagine he`d be there if it was anything significant. Plus, those were individual physical drills. The staff knows his athletic capabilities. I actually feel a little better!

Last edited:

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
I've got to go under the assumption, as most of you here are doing, that these athletes are being held out as precautionary measures. It's a long season. Players like Jennings not getting reps in drills is causing concern, but they know the defense. They know their job. I've got to trust the coaches know the situation and how when to put a player out there. We are not just playing for 1 game here; we've got 15 games to play this year!

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Reported that Lee was practicing next to Moses yesterday. Harris on the side in knee brace.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Reported that Lee was practicing next to Moses yesterday. Harris on the side in knee brace.
Personally not surprised. Wonder if we`ve had any LB`s looking longingly over at the O side of the ball. " You know coach, I DID play RB in high school and...….bad juju at LB." Of course, I`m only kidding ( I...guess ).

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
So, there is a Harris injured? And is this the same Harris that was going to be the next CJ?

And do we know what happened?

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Hasn`t been mentioned in any injury reports nor has anything leaked of which I`m aware. Considering the hypersensitivity of everybody when it comes to LBs, you`d think if it was anything approaching serious we`d know somehow. Watched the tape. Not an orthopod for sure, but I just wonder if we`re not in an " abundance of caution " mode ( which is fine if we are ). Not saying he doesn`t have a bruise or some kind of strain/sprain, but I can`t imagine he`d be there if it was anything significant. Plus, those were individual physical drills. The staff knows his athletic capabilities. I actually feel a little better!
Probably precautionary measures...... I don’t have a problem with that at all

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Probably precautionary measures...... I don’t have a problem with that at all
You are not holding a true freshman out of practice when you think he should start as a precautionary measure. He needs the reps. If he isn't getting them, he can't rep.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.