UPS Has Been Delivering Cargo in Self-Driving Trucks for Months And No One Knew

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
And here... we... go...

UPS announced on Thursday that its venture capital arm has made a minority investment in TuSimple. The announcement also revealed that since May TuSimple autonomous trucks have been hauling UPS loads on a 115-mile route between Phoenix and Tucson.

UPS confirmed to Gizmodo this is the first time UPS has announced it has been using TuSimple autonomous trucks to deliver packages in the state.

Around the same time as the UPS and TuSimple program began, the United States Postal Service and TuSimple publicized a two-week pilot program to deliver mail between Phoenix and Dallas, a 1,000 mile trip.

TuSimple claims it can cut the average cost of shipping in a tractor-trailer by 30 percent. In an announcement about the new partnership, UPS Ventures managing partner, Todd Lewis, said the venture arm “collaborates with startups to explore new technologies and tailor them to help meet our specific needs.”
UPS Has Been Delivering Cargo in Self-Driving Trucks for Months And No One Knew

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Seems like the natural path of evolution, given all the people who want to use their smart phones while driving. :rolleye2:

I don't know much about this but find it interesting and intriguing at the same time.

For me, I would never want a self-driving vehicle - that would take out all the fun of it!

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Plaintiff's lawyers are salivating...
Agreed. They might can get the vehicle from point A to point B on a computer program and some vehicle sensors. What they can’t do is see the antsy drive that’s about to cut them off and act accordingly before said antsy driver cuts in front of them and hits the brakes.
Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Plaintiff's lawyers are salivating...
I'm sure a company the size of UPS has already got that covered as part of the project - their war chest is absolutely massive. Yah, something will happen and they'll get sued - but over the long term, especially as the AI gets better, there will be fewer accidents and fewer payouts required.

In fact, I bet that part of the money they're projecting saving over the long term is the reduction in lawsuit payouts.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I don’t drive as much as I used to but still drive more than most. While I enjoy driving, after a while it gets mundane. Between August 1 and August 12 I drove over 4000 miles. I drove to Dallas on the first for a seminar and then to Livingston, MT for vacation. My wife is a good driver if I’m not in the car so I did almost all the driving.

I’m looking for to the automatic pilots. From what I’ve read it will be safer, faster, and more efficient. A show I watched on Discovery said by 2035 it will be the norm. Bring it on. And fix me up with one of those truck driving gigs where I just have to make sure the auto-driver isn’t screwing up.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Oh, it's coming, regardless of lawsuits.

I'm betting that over time there will be far fewer accidents with self-driven autos.

I don't care for it - I actually LOVE driving - but it's coming and it'll be here fast.
I sure hope they tell the computer drivers not to camp out in the lefthand lane. On I-81 in western Virginia, the dad gum truck drivers in the right lane will do 55 mph in a 70 mph zone, and then another truck driver will do 55.00000001 mph in the left lane so it takes them 10 miles to overtake the truck in the right lane. This enrages me.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I sure hope they tell the computer drivers not to camp out in the lefthand lane. On I-81 in western Virginia, the dad gum truck drivers in the right lane will do 55 mph in a 70 mph zone, and then another truck driver will do 55.00000001 mph in the left lane so it takes them 10 miles to overtake the truck in the right lane. This enrages me.
Those are situations when I understand fully why I'm not allowed to own rocket launchers.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Seems like the natural path of evolution, given all the people who want to use their smart phones while driving. :rolleye2:

I don't know much about this but find it interesting and intriguing at the same time.

For me, I would never want a self-driving vehicle - that would take out all the fun of it!
I hate automatic transmission cars as it is, a self driving car is even worse.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That's every interstate but I'd have to agree that I-81 is particularly bad...

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
We have long sections of highway in TX that prohibit semis in the far left lane just for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Drove this stretch yesterday. They have turned it into a long safety corridor with heavy police presence. Cameras everywhere And restrictions in many areas only allowing commercial trucks in the far right lane.

I think it’s only 110 miles or so along the I-10 corridor.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i've seen that happen a lot on I-75 between chattanooga and knoxville. it's enough to drive you to drink.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.